PDA

View Full Version : New perspective on cycling - if I could only have 3 bikes

dekindy
05-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Due to the research to find a 3-wheel recumbent combination that I could ride in tandem with my handicapped Son as the stoker, I have a totally fresh, and what I would consider enlightened perspective on cycling.

Recumbents are comfortable and just plain fun. Never knew cycling of another type could be so enjoyable.

So now if I could only have 3 bikes:

1. Always would want a road bike; but a real all-arounder. Would need flexibility to be configured as a road/touring/cross bike.
2. A 2-wheel recumbent short wheel base recumbent for when I just want to go far and fast for a day.
3. A 3-wheel recumbent, tadpole would be my first choice but deltas are okay also, to tool around the neighborhood or public trails, either paved or packed gravel as not interested in off-road. Delta recumbent was my only option for coupling together with my Son.

If I could only have one bike and my needs were the only consideration, I would lean toward a tadpole recumbent. Part of that is because I am in my mid-50's, ouch, and comfort is very attractive to me right now. It would be a tough choice as I would not have many folks to ride with currently but those goals will probably change also.

Granted, still waiting to take delivery of the Hase deltas, so there is the novelty effect. My goal was for my Son, but I am just totally blown away by how I am attracted to these machines. If I had researched these when I returned to cycling in 2007, I am not so sure I would not have taken a totally different direction with my cycling equipment.