PDA

View Full Version : Cycling injury covered by health insurance?

zeroking17
12-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Six weeks ago I broke a collarbone and cracked a couple of ribs in a mountain biking crash on a trail in a state park. Went to emergency room for x-rays and was given a sling to wear.

Today I received a letter from my health insurer (Blue Cross Blue Shield) stating that none of my injuries were covered under their policy and that instead I should seek assistance from my auto insurer.

Well, the Blue Cross office is closed on Fridays so I can't ask them for an explanation, but I'm wondering whether anyone else here has had a similar experience with health insurance and cycling injuries, or can explain why I was referred to my auto insurer? Am I overlooking something obvious? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce K
12-02-2005, 10:36 AM
If your version of Blue Cross is like mine, that form is standard for any ER visit.

They are trying to have you subrogate the claim to teh auto insurer so they don't have to.

there is usually a box to check or a number to call that lets them know it was not an auto accident. At that point they usually pay.

At least that has been my experience with other accidents/injuries and Blue Cross.

Unless they are considering your bike a vehicle/motorcycle. Then they would expect the auto insurer to pay the claim.

BK

sc53
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Blue Cross must think you either were driving a motorized vehicle or got hit by one. Just call them on Monday and set them straight, they shouldn't give you any hassle. If they do, fill out the "appeal" form you can request from them. I had an injury where I was hit by a car (whiplash type injury) but my Blue Cross never refused to cover my med treatment or subrogate it to my car insurance. Weird.

zeroking17
12-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks Bruce K and sc53 for the advice!

OldDog
12-02-2005, 01:56 PM
In 1990 I crashed my mtn bike and broke my neck at C5. Emergency room, neurosurgen, a week in hospital and many chiropracter visits. Blue paid for all.

May be different 15 years later with them.

Dave
12-02-2005, 04:53 PM
A bike wreck has nothing to do with your auto insurance.

BCBS covered nearly $3000 worth of medical expenses for my last bike wreck, this February. In this wreck, I broadsided a car, driven by a teenager, who made a right hand turn in front of me. Despite the fact that he got a citation for careless driving, his auto insurance denied any responsibility for the $800 in damages to my bike and clothes or my medical expenses. A local personal injury attorney is still working on my case, but so far, I haven't got a dime.

The BCBS subrogation department contacted me for information about the driver's car insurance, not mine.

Michael Katz
12-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Because the accident did not involve a motor vehicle in any manner, your auto policy does not apply. Blue Cross simply gets diagnosis and treatment codes and assumes the injuries are auto related so that they can claim that your auto policy is primary. Happens to me frequently. Once you inform them that there was no vehicle involved and that you were riding your bike off road, they should back off and assume responsibility. If not, follow the claims appeal procedures carefully. There are time limits that must be observed.