PDA

View Full Version : Merckx on Wiggins: "You descend like the Schleck Bros!"

54ny77
05-13-2013, 11:26 AM
I guess all those super high tech training methods with power and nutrition and yadda yadda don't include tips on how to haul ass downhill.

I mean, to the mere mortal amateur, how fast does Wiggins go downhill in varied conditions? I'm 100% certain I couldn't hold his wheel on anything remotely hair raising, that's for sure. Especially not while rubbing elbows at speed.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-shorts-merckx-calls-wiggins-a-novice-abdujapaorov-and-broken-bones

Merckx: Wiggins descends like a novice

Five times winner of the Giro d'Italia, Eddy Merckx, has told Het Nieuwsblad that "It is incomprehensible how Wiggins descends," after the Sky leader suffered a crash on stage 7 and was then dropped on a descent on stage 9 to Florence. Wiggins currently sits 1'16 down on maglia rosa Vincenzo Nibali but has looked increasingly vulnerable on the wet roads.

"I never saw it before and have never experienced that myself. I do not know why he suddenly descends so bad. He's ridden the past few days like a novice on the downhills. I think there is something wrong with his material, he has no confidence."

"He seems okay in terms of his physical condition and it is still too early to draw conclusions. Wiggins is right when he says that there are two more hellish weeks."

wooly
05-13-2013, 11:34 AM
It's okay, he's still got Le Tour :fight:

MattTuck
05-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Best thing he's said since he had beard envy...

Descending is 80% mental and 20% physical. and hitting the deck can really hurt confidence, especially if you don't know what happened. are my tires at too high a pressure? was there oil in the road? was I going to fast? It can make you question everything.

Hope he does some descending on the rest day, gets his confidence back and then is able to continue racing.

chengher87
05-13-2013, 11:50 AM
There's so much Wiggins bashing, even from me. But he's been handling it quite well, even admitting himself that he's a little scared and descending like a "girl" as he put it in an interview yesterday.

But, Wiggins isn't this bad a descender, not as bad the Schlecks, not by a long shot (cause they really stink). But I also wonder whether or not Wiggins is truly recovered from that crash in November-ish. Physically or mentally. He's a straight shooter, which is why I don't hate him.

firerescuefin
05-13-2013, 12:00 PM
There's so much Wiggins bashing, even from me. But he's been handling it quite well, even admitting himself that he's a little scared and descending like a "girl" as he put it in an interview yesterday.

But, Wiggins isn't this bad a descender, not as bad the Schlecks, not by a long shot (cause they really stink). But I also wonder whether or not Wiggins is truly recovered from that crash in November-ish. Physically or mentally. He's a straight shooter, which is why I don't hate him.

Good summary....even professionals can get spooked. I've ridden in that part of the world and the roads when wet can be icy (down with no warning) when the oil comes up to the surface.

54ny77
05-13-2013, 12:04 PM
i've ridden with a few pack fodder ex-euro pro's who've done team duty in massive races back in their day, and i'm fine with saying that even at my best most fearless racing self of 20+ years ago, i'd have had maybe 1/100th the nerve and skill they do. there is simply no comparison. that theater is insane, really.

laupsi
05-13-2013, 12:17 PM
shouldn't be personal to Wiggins, I mean it doesn't play into whether or not he's a likeable guy. All pros can descend, no? it whether they've got the kahunas to do so when it matters most. To EM's point, he is losing valuable time and is going to lose this Giro going downhill.

reggiebaseball
05-13-2013, 01:46 PM
even admitting himself that he's a little scared and descending like a "girl" as he put it in an interview yesterday.

This Wiggins brute is more offensive than Peter Sagan.

Apologize to women for your slur, you sexist pig.

sfscott
05-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Not like he lied for 12 years, bullied the peloton and trashed his teammates

esldude
05-14-2013, 01:26 AM

You talking about Merckx??;)

soulspinner
05-14-2013, 05:37 AM

:)