PDA

View Full Version : Best 29er for 100k endurance XC events

Erik_A
05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
What is the best 29er for 100k endurance XC events? I am a big guy at 6'-4" and over 200 lbs. I am tempted by the Airborne Guardian (with a fork upgrade); but folks have mentioned that for that distance at my size steel would be a better choice.

I am coming from a cyclocross background and am not familiar with the ride qualities of the various geometry differences. Should I look at a Niner S.I.R. 9 with Reynolds 853 or something like a Salsa Fargo?

I am not planning on using racks or pack touring, so I assume the Salsa Fargo would be pretty noodle-like unloaded (even though I like the tall head-tube). I haven't read all 120 pages of the MTBR Fargo thread, but I don't see much discussion on XC MTB usage/ distance races.

... and I will also mention my budget is under $1200 complete.

mnoble485
05-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Calling Jack Brunk.ifhe doesn't respond PM him.

Mike

mnoble485
05-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Calling Jack Brunk, calling Jack Brunk. If he doesn't respond PM him.

Mike

nahtnoj
05-12-2013, 09:06 PM
A SIR 9 and a Fargo are two very different bikes. For the events you're talking about the better choice in the Salsa lineup is the El Mariachi. You might be able to get a 2012 model within your budget, and it will serve well until you get a few events under your belt and decide what changes are necessary.

Jack Brunk
05-12-2013, 09:12 PM
For your budget I'd look at a good used 29er hardtail. Your budget limits you when it comes to a bike selection. I just did a 92K race on a titanium hardtail and out of the four dudes I hung with, I was the only one who wasn't complaining of pain this and pain that. No matter what, 5 plus hours on a saddle is a long time and more important than anything is having a bike that fits like a glove. Design over anything else.

Glad I could help.

gdw
05-12-2013, 09:36 PM
My first choice for a production bike would be a steel Niner SIR or MCR. They are light, handle well, and are reasonably priced. Some other used steel bikes worth looking at are:
Salsa El Mariochi
Vassago Bandersnack
Jamis Dakota
Haro Mary
Raleigh XXIX
Rocky Mountain Hammer
Voodoo Soukri

Unfortunately 29ers are really popular right now so it can be difficult to find a decent deal.

crossjunkee
05-23-2013, 09:37 AM
DO NOT BUY AN AIRBORNE!!

If you're dead set on a 29er, look for a used Yeti Big Top, with carbon stays. Relaxed geometry, and very comfy. Or possibly a Santa Cruz High Ball.

Also, check the Denver craigslist bike section. Most of the sponsored guys have dumped their rides already, but there are some nice rigs out there for sale. They're usually willing to ship too.

I'd spend a lot of time riding different bikes / wheels sizes before you commit. I wasted a year of riding precious rocky mountain single track trying to "adjust" to a 29er.

kenmetzger
05-23-2013, 09:52 AM
I will throw in one more suggestion with the Jamis Dragon. It is almost within your budget, so a local dealer may be able to work with you or have a 2012 version accesible to them.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/hardtails/dragon/12_dragon29sport.html

echelon_john
05-23-2013, 09:54 AM
6'6", 250; I have a Niner EMD9 that I love. Short $$, great ride, light enough for my fat ass. You won't be at $1200 all in with new parts, but could easily get there with used stuff.

xjoex
05-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Are the trails technical or pretty buff/fireroad? If they are buff go for a hard tail. If the trails are technical, then go for a FS bike.

Also, look used, or save $100 a month for the next six months and buy a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Sr12Ak3lhKU/UWDmOQjPkCI/AAAAAAAAMMQ/wAkcNE2BAZs/s640/P4060317.jpg

My personal believe on mountain bike frame material is that wheels and tires have more of an impact on "flex" then anything you'd feel from different frame materials.

Cheers,
-Joe

crossjunkee
05-23-2013, 10:13 AM
check out mtbr for more active mountain bike discussions.

http://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-xc-racing/

echelon_john
05-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Also, you've probably already considered this, but big fat tubeless tires will go a long way toward making endurance riding easier on your undercarriage. I like the Maxxis Ardents in 2.4 at about 36/32.

Jawn P
05-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Don't get a Fargo!

Any XC race bike will be fine. Just make sure it fits well and you'll be set. Lightweight is very desirable, but not too light as a back country repair on light stuff isn't fun.

I've done my fare share of enduro races on both a rigid SS Salsa El Marichi (dumbest idea ever), an alloy Cannondale Flash, and now a carbon Felt Nine. All certainly adequate.

azrider
05-23-2013, 01:21 PM
an alloy Cannondale Flash

glad mine made list

gdw
05-23-2013, 01:34 PM
If you're comfortable building a bike check out Jenson USA's Niner frame sale. They have large and extra large EMD and 2011 Air Nines available for $399 shipped. They're light race worthy frames and come with a decent warranty.
http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bike-frames?c=C0000GMY

redir
05-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I have a Flash 29r also but that is going to be a bit over his budget. AL vs steel frames is less critical then on road or cyclocross. The big fat volume tires take a lot of shock and vibration out of the equation and AL is going to be a lot lighter. I have a Thudbuster seat post on mine and it really adds a nice touch for long XC events.

peanutgallery
05-23-2013, 05:37 PM
cruise Craigslist, something will turn up. Bought a MCR with xt/reba for 8 hundy

Not all 29ers are the same as far as geometry so do a little research on what you find. whatever you do, don't get a 26" they are dead. Once you go thru a rock garden, you will see why. Steel bikes beyond 4130 tubing will do you right for the epic stuff. Ti, even better. Pay attention to the geometry as it affects the handling a lot on the clown bikes

fatallightning
05-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Is it just my North East roots showing, or does anyone else find the idea of 100k on a hardtail a backbreaker? Can't find a used dual 29er?

JAGI410
05-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Salsa Spearfish! FS29er designed specifically for endurance racing! A framebag is available through Salsa to carry your stuff. Great bikes.

Jawn P
05-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Is it just my North East roots showing, or does anyone else find the idea of 100k on a hardtail a backbreaker? Can't find a used dual 29er?

Most of these races are maybe 40/60 singletrack to fire road, so you're not pounding out mile of mile of roots and rocks.

Erik_A
05-28-2013, 11:57 AM
I have been looking at used Niner MCR and SIR frames; but haven't found any great deals (on an XL size) to get the project under my price range. I still had that aluminum Niner Air 9 (for $399 at Jenson that was suggested) in the back of my mind - but the sale is over and they are $629 now http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bike-frames?c=Sale&c=-111&s=l .

I think that a geared Reynolds 853 steel frame with a Niner (or Whiskey) rigid carbon fork would do well for the endurance events I am looking at especially Iron Cross in September: Iron Cross (http://ironcrossrace.blogspot.com/)

Yes you are right, they are almost 50% fire roads. I am thinking that a rigid setup with vertical flex and big rubber (tubeless 2.4") would be fine.

Make any decisions? What races or types of long rides you plan on doing?

gdw
05-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Another option, On One Scandal - $269 shipped. http://shop.titusti.com/category-s/1517.htm

Erik_A
05-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Another option, On One Scandal - $269 shipped. http://shop.titusti.com/category-s/1517.htm

That On One Scandal 29er frame looks sweet!!! It looks like I can still select one of the black 21" frames in the older version with the rack mounts and 2 sets of water bottle mounts.

Thanks for the heads up "gdw"

Erik_A
05-29-2013, 03:52 PM
I went ahead and ordered the On One Scandal 29er frame. Michael at Planet X ( titusti.com ) was great with customer service and answering questions; I highly recommend these folks.

That On One Scandal 29er frame looks sweet!!! It looks like I can still select one of the black 21" frames in the older version with the rack mounts and 2 sets of water bottle mounts.

Thanks for the heads up "gdw"

Lurch
05-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Don't get a Fargo!

I'm going to assume this comment is directed at his desire for a race bike and not in general? I have a Fargo, and it is hands down my favorite MTB for less technical trails. It is not light though, and it has a more relaxed geometry then I'd expect for a race bike. The longer chainstays for cargo stability give me some trouble unweighting the front wheel. That is my only minor gripe about it. I love drop bars (woodchippers) offroad.

An MCR is a good choice, although I never clicked with mine and sold it. The Niner Air 9 is their lighter Aluminum race frame, or the Air 9 Carbon if you're wanting light. I like my Rip 9 personally, but I like suspension and I'm not a weight concerned racerboy. I'm 6'3" 220 btw, so in your bodytype range.

Erik_A
05-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks Lurch

I'm going to assume this comment is directed at his desire for a race bike and not in general? I have a Fargo, and it is hands down my favorite MTB for less technical trails. It is not light though, and it has a more relaxed geometry then I'd expect for a race bike. The longer chainstays for cargo stability give me some trouble unweighting the front wheel. That is my only minor gripe about it. I love drop bars (woodchippers) offroad.

An MCR is a good choice, although I never clicked with mine and sold it. The Niner Air 9 is their lighter Aluminum race frame, or the Air 9 Carbon if you're wanting light. I like my Rip 9 personally, but I like suspension and I'm not a weight concerned racerboy. I'm 6'3" 220 btw, so in your bodytype range.