PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Serotta Fierte (steel)?

Joachim
05-12-2013, 06:27 PM
With my new fit dimensions I would fit perfectly on a size 56 Serotta Fierte. In addition to potentially WTB, I am interested in perceived (completely subjective I know) ride quality but also stiffness (I might want to race on one while I wait on my JKS).

rwsaunders
05-12-2013, 08:01 PM
I had a steel Fierte with a steel rear triangle and a carbon fork a few years ago. The bike was very smooth, with good handling characteristics, but a little slow to get up to speed...the kind of bike that you would feel comfortable taking on 4 plus hour rides and centuries.

I'm not sure that I'd classify that particular frame build as race geo, but then again, I'm not a racer. Perhaps the newer version with the carbon rear triangle might be a bit more up to that task.

Ken Robb
05-12-2013, 08:41 PM
They ride very well and IMHO would not be a hindrance to a beginning racer provided you get one that fits.

vav
05-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Had this beauty and let it go because 56 was too small. Go for it is all I can say.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=103945&stc=1&d=1350229998

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=103959&stc=1&d=1350230155

I bought a 60 cm Fierte IT and its pretty much all I ride lately

Joachim
05-12-2013, 09:19 PM
They ride very well and IMHO would not be a hindrance to a beginning racer provided you get one that fits.

This will be my 22 year of racing so not sure if this will be right then. Just need something for the interim with a taller head tube which doesnt have a lot of drive train flex

cmg
05-12-2013, 09:23 PM
"classify that particular frame build as race geo" not so sure there's such a thing as race geo but usually that means steeper seattube angles, short wheelbase, better for crit racing. If the geometry fits, you can always race it. speed is more about the wheelset and things that move on the bike than the frame. buy it, try it and if it doesn't work sell it.

eddief
05-12-2013, 10:26 PM
and I was wondering what it means to say "slow to get up to speed?" I think my fine steel coupled Curtlo is slow to get up to speed compared to my Roubaix, but my Roubaix weighs at least 4 lbs. less than the Curtlo...and even that "faster" comparison might just be an illusion.

Do you now own a quicker up to speed example? I am asking not to be wise ass, but just always interested in how we judge what we ride.

I might guess that a Fierte with a set of 1500 gram wheels would be a flyer. A little upright in the angles, shortish wheelbase, good steel, carbon fork.

I had a steel Fierte with a steel rear triangle and a carbon fork a few years ago. The bike was very smooth, with good handling characteristics, but a little slow to get up to speed...the kind of bike that you would feel comfortable taking on 4 plus hour rides and centuries.

I'm not sure that I'd classify that particular frame build as race geo, but then again, I'm not a racer. Perhaps the newer version with the carbon rear triangle might be a bit more up to that task.

rwsaunders
05-12-2013, 10:57 PM
and I was wondering what it means to say "slow to get up to speed?" I think my fine steel coupled Curtlo is slow to get up to speed compared to my Roubaix, but my Roubaix weighs at least 4 lbs. less than the Curtlo...and even that "faster" comparison might just be an illusion.

Do you now own a quicker up to speed example? I am asking not to be wise ass, but just always interested in how we judge what we ride.

I might guess that a Fierte with a set of 1500 gram wheels would be a flyer. A little upright in the angles, shortish wheelbase, good steel, carbon fork.

Good question Eddie.

I'm down to a Legend and a Poprad and the Poprad rides like my old Fierte. Smooth and stable hands-off-the-bars balance, but they both take/took more effort to get to cruising altitude as opposed to the Legend, and the Legend has a better downhill motor as well. I only sold the Fierte frame to get a frame that would accept fenders.

Extremely similar contact points, same DA 7700 drivetrain, same DA 7700/Open Pro wheelsets, 28mm vs 25mm Conti 4 Seasons. It's even a joke with one of my riding buds. When I show up on the Legend, he's in for a different workout. Who knows?

Joachim
05-13-2013, 05:25 AM
"classify that particular frame build as race geo" not so sure there's such a thing as race geo but usually that means steeper seattube angles, short wheelbase, better for crit racing. If the geometry fits, you can always race it. speed is more about the wheelset and things that move on the bike than the frame. buy it, try it and if it doesn't work sell it.

My question did not pertain as much to geo (there is a small range I can fit on regardless what type of race I do it on) as it did to stiffness of the drivetrain. I had a Columbus Spirit frame that flexed out of this world in the rear, which my other frames never had (maybe builder error, who knows). An excessive flexy chainstay area is pretty irritating during a race or hard efforts.

HenryA
05-13-2013, 08:50 AM
It'll be plenty stiff enough.
If it fits, you are good to go.

IMO, if anything, what is usually called "race geo" is a twitchy and hard to ride bike. I like the bike to move only when told to do so. No thinking on its own, just solid tracking at high speeds and high exertion levels. Tires in full contact with the pavement at all times. On rails but easily directed by rider input.

Joachim
05-13-2013, 09:49 AM
It'll be plenty stiff enough.
If it fits, you are good to go.

IMO, if anything, what is usually called "race geo" is a twitchy and hard to ride bike. I like the bike to move only when told to do so. No thinking on its own, just solid tracking at high speeds and high exertion levels. Tires in full contact with the pavement at all times. On rails but easily directed by rider input.

Thanks! Now to find the elusive 56cm.....Anyone? Trade a Spectrum Ti for it (joking).

eddief
05-13-2013, 10:07 AM
a couple of 56 listed recently at this shop:

http://tomsprobike.blogspot.com/2013/05/fast-furious-friday-frameset-sale.html

Thanks! Now to find the elusive 56cm.....Anyone? Trade a Spectrum Ti for it (joking).

Keith A
05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
One on eBay right now...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-Fierte-56cm-56-cm-Road-Bike-Bicycle-Dura-Ace-ZIPP-Ottrott-Colorado-/121055722887?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item1c2f7bbd87

Joachim
05-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Thanks so much. Just gave them a call. Waiting on the pics.

cmg
05-13-2013, 11:20 AM
one of the benefits of owning a steel Serotta is that the builders main goal is to minimze bottom bracket flex. The friete, atlanta, CSI and CdA all have s-bend chainstays (may not be true for early models). The benefit other than allowing crank clearance is increasing the abillity to resist lateral forces (my opinion) and on some models Serotta uses butted chainstay tubing to increase strength. get a set of wheels with light rims and plenty of spokes. enjoy the serotta.

kgreene10
05-13-2013, 11:23 AM
I had a Fierte IT (carbon+ti) several years ago. It was notably stiffer than the steel version. I trained on it and then got into racing -- road races and crits. IMHO, it was not a good race bike. The drivetrain is very flexy compared to a modern carbon race bike with large diameter tubes and comically oversized BB shell (I currently have a BB90). Also, the relaxed geo on the Fierte makes aggressive cornering difficult. I DID race on it for 1.5 seasons but I'm much happier (in races) on a modern carbon frame. For centuries and really pleasant weekend rides, I think the Fierte is great.

I might note that my current frame is a Fisher Cronus. It has a very tall HT and can be had very cheaply used. They are much better frames than the aura around them would suggest.

I apologize if I'm wounding sensibilities here. I'm aware that I'm on the Serotta forum. I love my CSI and liked my Fierte for what it was good at doing. I'm not talking down the brand; rather, I'm saying that it's a less-than-ideal solution to pound a nail with a wrench. Horses for courses, as they say.

christian
05-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Cronus STA won't work for Joachim.

Keith A
05-13-2013, 11:46 AM
...I'm aware that I'm on the Serotta forum. I love my CSI and liked my Fierte for what it was good at doing. I'm not talking down the brand; rather, I'm saying that it's a less-than-ideal solution to pound a nail with a wrench. Horses for courses, as they say.This was the Serotta forum, but our ties were severed more than a year ago. However, there are still plenty of people who like their Serotta's and support the brand.

kgreene10
05-13-2013, 12:20 PM
I feel like a dope. I hadn't realized that the name change to "The Paceline" and the obvious addition of many named sponsors above meant that we are no longer hosted exclusively by Serotta.

This was the Serotta forum, but our ties were severed more than a year ago. However, there are still plenty of people who like their Serotta's and support the brand.

eddief
05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
and we are expected to trust your judgment about bikes :)?

I feel like a dope. I hadn't realized that the name change to "The Paceline" and the obvious addition of many named sponsors above meant that we are no longer hosted exclusively by Serotta.

kgreene10
05-13-2013, 01:51 PM
and we are expected to trust your judgment about bikes :)?

Of course not! My judgement is clouded by years of misuse. I'm thinking of pulling a Castanza and just doing the opposite.

Ken Robb
05-13-2013, 02:00 PM
One on eBay right now...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-Fierte-56cm-56-cm-Road-Bike-Bicycle-Dura-Ace-ZIPP-Ottrott-Colorado-/121055722887?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item1c2f7bbd87

This may not be a 56cm. since he measured the seat tube at 55.5 and a Fierte has quite a sloping TT. Ask the seller for the serial # because the first two numbers will indicate the virtual size of the frame.

FierteTi52
05-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Tom's Pro Bike has been my LBS do the last 25 years, a great shop to deal with, no worries, give him a call!
Jeff

Joachim
05-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Tom's Pro Bike has been my LBS do the last 25 years, a great shop to deal with, no worries, give him a call!
Jeff

I called him. Still waiting on pics.

Liberace
05-23-2013, 12:59 PM
I called him. Still waiting on pics.

What's the good word? Did ya get it?