PDA

View Full Version : Couplers or No Couplers

Rapid Tourist
12-01-2005, 09:07 PM
I have been talking to a custom builder about building a new fixed gear bike. I can't decide if I should make the bike a coupler bike or not. I do some riding when I'm on vacation in FL, and its always a hassle trying to find a bike that fits right. If I made my new fixie a coupled bike, I could take the bike with me.

Couplers add quite a bit of cost to a new bike. Its $350 to $400 for the couplers themselves, plus another $350 or more for the case plus proprietry coupler grease and the tool.

What would you do? Would you couple the new bike, or just buy a old junker, leave it in FL, and spend the savings on microbrews??????

Thoughts anyone? Anyone travel with a coupled bike??

Bradford
12-01-2005, 09:15 PM
I have a coupled tandem that I have traveled with twice and it works exactly as advertised. But you can't get a tandem on a plane and you have to ship it freight, so we didn't have much choice.

I decided not to get couplers on my touring bike because it is pretty easy to ship UPS or FedEx.

Which option makes the most sense depends on how often you travel.

Ken Robb
12-01-2005, 09:24 PM
I took a short ride on a Ritchey Breakaway--it felt just like a nice steel bike--no clue tat it was coupled. I think list price is $2500 with Ultegra. Go to his website to see him assemble one.

pale scotsman
12-01-2005, 09:32 PM
If I were you I'd buy a junker and enjoy my vacation.

shaq-d
12-01-2005, 10:54 PM
shipping by ups/fedex is $50 or so. so if couplers is $350, that means, basically, 7 trips (assuming u wouldn't have to pay more money for the luggage). if you go once a year, might not be worth it. but if you keep your bikes for longer than 7 years at a time and use them a lot...

sd

nick0137
12-02-2005, 04:25 AM
I've got a coupled fixed gear that Carl Strong built for me a few years ago. Couplers and fixed gear work so well (particularly if you only have a front brake) because there are no cables to split - it's just dead easy. I use it all year as my commuter but also use it whenever we go away for a week or longer - I'd say it gets packed away in its case maybe 3-4 times a year. It's much easier than flying with (or even shipping) a bike box. And much nicer than riding a trashy bike.....

Sandy
12-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Why not just leave your present fixed gear bike in Florida? It may not be a perfect fit, but you seem to do quite well on it. You certainly don't need two fixed gear bikes up here, one of which you won't be riding anyway. In addition, the non-coupled fixed gear bike would have a better look, in my opinion.

Solution Sandy

Smiley
12-02-2005, 07:03 AM
RT , the wrench and a sample of grease comes with the couplers NOT as an add on cost. I tend to agree with the masses. if you plan to give your dad your old fixee , then all you need to ride it is a saddle and seat post left down in Florida. If you plan to really travel more often with your new bike your husband better also want to ride too or somebody will be left behind.
I personally am on the fence about coupling a fixee due to the terrain limitations of traveling with only one gear. Can you say Bike Friday , something to look forward to buying after all. There always is your next bike purchase ...right .

Fixed
12-02-2005, 07:17 AM
bro in fla it's all you need unless you want to race I'd do it, bike in a case kinda like 007 cool i.m.h.o. cheers :beer: oh yeah get a good lock

woolly
12-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Two things I have learned to be true:

1.) Traveling with a bike is a PITA. This is especially true if the primary purpose of the trip is not bike-related (such as a family vacation). A coupled bike does not solve this problem, only makes it marginally less of a hassle.

2.) You can never have too many bicycles.

My advice - spend the $350 or so that the couplers cost on an older bike & leave it there. Maybe a fixee, maybe not. Should be able to get an older bike with some character & class for less than five bills this time of year. Take the time to find one that fits, & enjoy the thrill of the chase. (But that's just me, & I enjoy searching out the right bike, whether it's for me or for a friend).

As always, YMMV.

Rapid Tourist
12-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Fixed hit the nail on the head, its really the 007 mystique that I'm goin' for.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their opinions. This is helpful. Now i can't decide if I should couple a road bike or a fixee. Thanks a lot.

Will post pics of the new fixee when its done!!

MRB
12-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey,

If your going for the 007 mystique, you might just forget the bike and pick up an Omega Seamaster Automatic watch, like TooTall was looking for. ;)

- M