PDA

View Full Version : Phil and Paul-isms

slidey
05-12-2013, 05:39 PM
ToC Stage 1, after witnessing the crash with ≈15k to go:

Phil: "...also its one of those (crashes) which came without a warning."

Please share your gems from this season here.

FlashUNC
05-12-2013, 06:33 PM
My favorite was the one about Lance never having doped, and that an anonymous, prominent doctor sent ol' Phil a text saying Lance would be dead if he took the drugs he did.

He's a clown.

67-59
05-12-2013, 08:18 PM
"He's dancing on the pedals...."

BumbleBeeDave
05-12-2013, 08:32 PM
. . . in my suitcase of cliches to try to find something! :rolleyes:

BBD

Steve in SLO
05-12-2013, 08:34 PM
"He's tearing this race apart!"

beeatnik
05-13-2013, 01:50 AM
"these boys...yadda, yadda, yadda."

PQJ
05-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Projecting, hopefully: "the elastic has snapped. Our suitcase of courage is empty, though deep we have dug. We cant even find the front end of the main field. We're dancing into retirement from the tour day France."

tv_vt
05-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Paul-isms:

and Ulrich really looks to be in a spot of bother...

but once he gets his big diesel going, he's tearing up the road...

he's all over his machine, Phil...

sparky33
05-13-2013, 08:13 AM
"turning himself inside out!"

jvp
05-13-2013, 08:20 AM
He's dropped!
he has been dropped Paul!!
Tighten the Screws
Dancing on the Pedals
He is all Over his Machine
An Absolute Beast of a Man
Heads of State
He is Wearing the Mask of Pain
Hotting Up
He is suffering like he has never Suffered before
Suffering Like an Animal
Look at that!
The Elastic has Snapped!
Caught the bunch by surprise
Boom-Boom & Out Go the Lights
Done his Job
Waving the White Flag
Cheek of the Man
Digging into His Suitcase of Courage
Absolutely Remarkable
Leaky Gas
Pushing a Monster Gear
Unbelievable!
Spot of Bother
Lambs to the Slaughter
Ride of his Life
Pedals Turned in Anger
Stretch the Elastic
He's Cracked
My Goodness Me
Have to Dig Deep
Cat's Amongst the Pigeons
Blown to Smithereens
Golden Fleece
Bridge to Engine Room - More Power!
Like a Demon
In the sport of professional cycling.....
And he has attacked! no Phil, he has been dropped. Oops, sorry, my mistake
A man by the name of
On the rivet
He's like Harry Potter hiding under his invisible cape. He comes from nowhere!
Completely and utterly mano on mano
He is doing the ride of his life
Turning himself inside out
He would get dropped on a railway bridge at the moment
Well ill tell you what Paul..
You are quite right Paul

chengher87
05-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Phil: It's X rider
Paul: No Phil, it's Y rider
Phil: I don't think so Paul
Paul: (Crickets chirping)
Phil: I'm sure it's X rider
Number and name clearly visible
Phil: Oh you're right Paul
Paul: (F*** you face)
Cut to Commercials

Another favorite of mine. Paul is talking about the wind, but I have a teenaged mind

Paul: They're getting it full on in the face!

layneo59
05-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Wow, with all the good lines so far, surprised no one mentioned the word MASSIVE! I don't think I ever hear that word used in the English language except when listening to Phil and Paul.

Don't get me wrong, even with all the comments, I still like listening to them. They are an institution and (to me) are an important part of the race.

jvp
05-13-2013, 08:43 AM
I like when Paul reminds Phil that he actually pro-raced, and Phil didn't.

ntb1001
05-13-2013, 09:26 AM
"Leaky Gas "
my all time fav...it's too bad the team is just Cannondale now.

MattTuck
05-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Since I watch virtually all racing on Eurosport feeds, I haven't gotten much of Phil and Paul.

One that I really liked was: "Bridge to engine room-more power. There is no more" on Chanvenal cracking

It is one that I can identify with quite often.

67-59
05-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Don't get me wrong, even with all the comments, I still like listening to them. They are an institution and (to me) are an important part of the race.

Ditto.

The Giro coverage has been great in terms of video quality...but two guys providing the commentary are pretty disappointing. Most of the time it seems like two guys just having a chat while watching a race, without realizing they're in front of microphones. At least Phil and Paul try to cover the race.

chengher87
05-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Ditto.

The Giro coverage has been great in terms of video quality...but two guys providing the commentary are pretty disappointing. Most of the time it seems like two guys just having a chat while watching a race, without realizing they're in front of microphones. At least Phil and Paul try to cover the race.

I'm actually not a fan of Phil and Paul and it's mostly due to them not really working the European races anymore. It's the TdF, Paris Roubaix and for the rest of the races it either Paul or Phil with some random American commentator, who's not Bobke. Listening to them try and name the Bissell rider and a funny anecdote is absolutely horrible at times.

I love most of the Eurosport commentators; Dan Lloyd, Carlton Kirby, Brian Smith, David Harmon, Sean Kelly at times (If they make the calculation, and he never thinks an attack will succeed). Just see the Iljo Keisse finish at the 2012 Tour of Turkey. Phil and Paul haven't been like that in ages.

laupsi
05-13-2013, 12:04 PM
He's dropped!
he has been dropped Paul!!
Tighten the Screws
Dancing on the Pedals
He is all Over his Machine
An Absolute Beast of a Man
Heads of State
He is Wearing the Mask of Pain
Hotting Up
He is suffering like he has never Suffered before
Suffering Like an Animal
Look at that!
The Elastic has Snapped!
Caught the bunch by surprise
Boom-Boom & Out Go the Lights
Done his Job
Waving the White Flag
Cheek of the Man
Digging into His Suitcase of Courage
Absolutely Remarkable
Leaky Gas
Pushing a Monster Gear
Unbelievable!
Spot of Bother
Lambs to the Slaughter
Ride of his Life
Pedals Turned in Anger
Stretch the Elastic
He's Cracked
My Goodness Me
Have to Dig Deep
Cat's Amongst the Pigeons
Blown to Smithereens
Golden Fleece
Bridge to Engine Room - More Power!
Like a Demon
In the sport of professional cycling.....
And he has attacked! no Phil, he has been dropped. Oops, sorry, my mistake
A man by the name of
On the rivet
He's like Harry Potter hiding under his invisible cape. He comes from nowhere!
Completely and utterly mano on mano
He is doing the ride of his life
Turning himself inside out
He would get dropped on a railway bridge at the moment
Well ill tell you what Paul..
You are quite right Paul

allow me to add one: "it's complete chaos"

Elefantino
05-13-2013, 02:48 PM
"Actually, we're hearing that it's not X, it's Y. Well, that is a surprise."

Only to Phil and Paul. Everyone watching yesterday knew that wasn't Flecha.

The pasture is thataway, fellas.

Elefantino
05-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Ditto.

Respectfully disagree. DQ and Kelly (or Harmon and Kelly, the No. 1 pair of all IMNSHO) inform. P&P hype. Big difference.

But that's why some people like Rocky Road and others like Americone Dream.

MattTuck
05-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm actually not a fan of Phil and Paul and it's mostly due to them not really working the European races anymore. It's the TdF, Paris Roubaix and for the rest of the races it either Paul or Phil with some random American commentator, who's not Bobke. Listening to them try and name the Bissell rider and a funny anecdote is absolutely horrible at times.

I love most of the Eurosport commentators; Dan Lloyd, Carlton Kirby, Brian Smith, David Harmon, Sean Kelly at times (If they make the calculation, and he never thinks an attack will succeed). Just see the Iljo Keisse finish at the 2012 Tour of Turkey. Phil and Paul haven't been like that in ages.

Even in that commentary, Kirby makes a mistake and says "they sail by the poor man" before being corrected by Kelly. I'm no big fan of P&P, but in the heat of the moment, they're basically looking at the same images we are and trying to put a narrative together... it is naive to expect perfection when essentially all the riders are wearing the same kit, sunglasses and helmet. It's not like the riders' faces are that obvious.

laupsi
05-13-2013, 03:29 PM
On the Giro, I am getting a feed on my TV service from "BEIN Sports" and have to say I am quite happy w/it. Perhaps it's only because I am so very ready for something other than P&P. I will know more after 3 weeks I guess.

victoryfactory
05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
I actually heard Paul once say
"They are breathing down the back of his shorts"

I still love their enthusiasm but I'm wondering when the next great
cycling commentators will arrive. Most of the new guys I've heard
are boring
VF

cash05458
05-13-2013, 04:37 PM
How Phil even still has a job is beyond me...after the guy got on air and started talking about how he had spoken to certain riders who were offered bribes by the feds hunting for armstrong to lie about doping...is just incredible...imagine in any other sport...say, baseball...a commentator doing stuff like that while swanning around on the players private plane...dude should just be gone from shooting his idiot lying mouth off...

gavingould
05-13-2013, 04:45 PM
generally i enjoy the eurosport commentary, except for Sean Kelly's incessant use of any/all phrases with the words "making the calculation"

seriously, does he have a calculator sponsor that pays him an extra quid every time he works that in? because it's used a several dozen times per stage...

jmoore
05-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Phil: And here we have Fracais de Jeux in their white kits about ready to start the TTT.
Paul: Looks like it's starting to rain.
Phil: Oh dear.

Llewellyn
05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
The Giro highlights on SBS are being done by Carlton Kirby and Daniel Lloyd. Lloyd is OK but Kirby is just woeful. He just rambles on with general stuff, doesn't seem to know any names beyond Wiggins and Nibali and gets so excited that he starts yelling and sounds as if he's about to wet himself (even when there's nothing happening :mad:). During stage 3 when Evans came in second, he didn't even mention his name and you had no idea what was going on until they showed the results on the screen.

At least Matt Keenan and Scott McGrory are doing the live stages :). Then again, maybe I should be thankful that we're getting some coverage at all.

chengher87
05-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Even in that commentary, Kirby makes a mistake and says "they sail by the poor man" before being corrected by Kelly. I'm no big fan of P&P, but in the heat of the moment, they're basically looking at the same images we are and trying to put a narrative together... it is naive to expect perfection when essentially all the riders are wearing the same kit, sunglasses and helmet. It's not like the riders' faces are that obvious.

I don't mind those mistakes. Kirby only had that helicopter view and it was hard to tell who it was because they look like ants (They are ants...they are ants...). Mistakes like today where Phil kept saying it was Jen Voigt and it clearly wasn't, but Paul may have been tired of it and kept silent. He told some story of Jens being old and I think it was actually Zubeldia. The camera was dead center on the Radioshack rider for some time.

On another note, I read some story where Sherwen was being investigated for helping Armstrong avoid doping controls by giving loooooong interviews. They tried getting the tapes of the interviews from the "vault" but they went missing, stolen by some fellow with the shape similar to Sherwen. The ITV guy laughed and said they had digital copies stored elsewhere.

slidey
05-18-2013, 05:42 PM
From the last 20km of today's Mt Diablo stage, a couple of more gems from the Yodeling Hillbillies:

"He (Mancebo) is the winner of one of Australia's best known races - the Redlands Classic."

"(Counting down the seconds) 2..3..1. That's it Paul, Cam Meyer has lost his 3rd place to Acevedo."

firerescuefin
05-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Respectfully disagree. DQ and Kelly (or Harmon and Kelly, the No. 1 pair of all IMNSHO) inform. P&P hype. Big difference.

But that's why some people like Rocky Road and others like Americone Dream.

Agreed

One gives you milk like a newborn...the other whole food. I like the former when I first started watching....now, it's painful, unfulfilling, and leaves me wanting more.

cash05458
05-18-2013, 06:02 PM
personally, I think american cycling coverage has been dominated by Phil and Paul and let us not forget that retard BlOb for long enough...put these dummies to rest...if I have to listen to bob talk about what the f the peloton means and how it works after about twenty years again I will puke...and **** universal sports as well... so glad I am on cycling torrents nl...good group of folks, no bs...and I get to listen and watch euro coverage...so much better than the dopey crap via phil, paul, bob...phil is lucky he aint in jail making crap up and passing it on air about feds for his economic best buddy armstrong...pantiewad of courage indeed...

beside that you couldnt find two more BORING commentators at the point than phil and his lackey paul...just awful stuff...

TPetsch
05-18-2013, 06:10 PM
"Taking corners like a F1 car"

"Following closely in the riders slipstream ahead results in 30% less effort"

slidey
05-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Yeah, cycling torrents is a great resource! I haven't been on there too much this time round as I have to stay connected on a secure network which doesn't tolerate torrents.

so glad I am on cycling torrents nl...good group of folks, no bs...and I get to listen and watch euro coverage...