PDA

View Full Version : Using tubes in tubeless tires?

giverdada
05-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Hey Friends:

So I recently picked up a Hutchinson Atom Comp tubeless tire and didn't notice that it was a tubeless model. My real question is: can I use it with a tube? My rims are Velocity A23, and I'm not really interested in 'going tubeless'. I'm just hoping to be able to use the tire. Can't seem to find any straight answers on the internet thus far, and you all usually know more than 'the internet' anyway. Thanks for the help. Hope none of yas had to ride in apocalyptic weather today...

n.

reggiebaseball
05-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes, it will work just fine.

It will be a bEEtch to mount because of the tighter/stiffer bead and potentially heavier by a few grams than the normal clincher equivalent, but it will operate just fine with a tube

giverdada
05-12-2013, 08:10 PM
sounds good. thanks for the info. i am not looking forward to the struggle of mounting the thing...

ryker
05-12-2013, 08:13 PM
It may be the case that after the fun of mounting the first tire with a tube, you re-evaluate your feelings about going tubeless. ;)

giverdada
05-12-2013, 08:16 PM
i was afraid you'd say that...

can it really be worse than a wire bead conti on a mavic MA40?:eek:

mod6
05-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Never had an issue with mounting a Hutchinson tubeless tire on Stan's 340 rim. Be it putting the tire on for the first time or putting in a tube on the road for a flat repair

reggiebaseball
05-12-2013, 09:10 PM
That is because stans rims are made from
noodles.