PDA

View Full Version : Relacing a conventional rim with an offcenter rim

Tonger
05-10-2013, 08:31 PM
A question for advice from the wheelbuilders please -

I've got a rear 28h A23 laced with cx-rays to an Alchemy hub which has enough of a wobble that I would like to break it down and re-lace the thing. I was wondering if I could reuse the 294 mm spokes if I change to the offcenter A23 rims giving me more even spoke tension between the ds and nds. The cheapskate in me wants to reuse the spokes and it seems like the geometry change may be so small that I could possibly get away with it?

Thanks!

Peter P.
05-10-2013, 11:13 PM
The difference in ERD between the Velocity A23 and Aerohead O/C rims is 601 vs. 598mm.

Using a spoke calculator to compare the two rims and all else being equal, you'd need a 1-2mm shorter spoke for the Aerohead O/C.

If you have that much adjustment left in your spokes now, you should be okay.

christian
05-10-2013, 11:37 PM
He's asking about an A23 OC. 602.3 or 602.5 is the ERD of that rim.

Gummee
05-11-2013, 07:35 AM

I've got a rear 28h A23 laced with cx-rays to an Alchemy hub which has enough of a wobble that I would like to break it down and re-lace the thing. I was wondering if I could reuse the 294 mm spokes if I change to the offcenter A23 rims giving me more even spoke tension between the ds and nds. The cheapskate in me wants to reuse the spokes and it seems like the geometry change may be so small that I could possibly get away with it?

Thanks!
I've done it. It isn't optimal, but can be done.

I forget which OC rim I re-used.

Try it and see. If you've re-laced the wheel once, you can do it again.

M

oldpotatoe
05-11-2013, 07:45 AM

Thanks!

I add 1mm for the left side of OC rims vs 2mm..so I don't think it would be a big deal. Use new nipps tho-brass is what I recommend.

Tonger
05-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback y'all. I'll go ahead and do it with the brass nips and let you know how it turns out.