PDA

View Full Version : Internal routing and misc.

CDollarsign
05-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I am building up a Merckx Corsa Extra with a 1993ish Chorus group. I have some questions:

1. Internal routing: should I run a housing all the way through the frame?
2. Whats the best modern cable for an old 8-speed group?
3. What's the best chain for this old group?
4. I have Mavic Open 4 CD rims, what's the best brake pads to retain the annodization? (kool-stop slamon? Do they make these for the old chorus pad holders?)

jtakeda
05-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Run housing all the way through if your frame doesn't allow for a cable stop.

Any campy cable will do, pretty sure any cable will work.

I use an 8 speed SRAM chain on my 88 chorus set up, works great.

Not sure about which pad will preserve the anno, but kool stop makes pads that will fit.

ultraman6970
05-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Even the 10 speed chains will work with that set up.

About the pads no clue, once you start getting friction the anodizing starts leaving the surface, unless you put something like disc brakes to that bike.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2013, 07:57 AM
I am building up a Merckx Corsa Extra with a 1993ish Chorus group. I have some questions:

1. Internal routing: should I run a housing all the way through the frame?
2. Whats the best modern cable for an old 8-speed group?
3. What's the best chain for this old group?
4. I have Mavic Open 4 CD rims, what's the best brake pads to retain the annodization? (kool-stop slamon? Do they make these for the old chorus pad holders?)

Rear brake? Yes, the housing goes all the way thru.

Jagwire 5mm der housing, Jagwire for brake, METAL(as in Brass) ferrules.

KMC 8s chain

Black Koolstop and yes, they made pads for the older, '8s' pad holders. But dual pivot Chorus or Monoplaner brakes?

CDollarsign
05-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Monoplanar, the seem like they'd be a headache to put on. OP, I see you preaching metal ferrules, is that not a standard item anymore with cable kits?

oldpotatoe
05-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Monoplanar, the seem like they'd be a headache to put on. OP, I see you preaching metal ferrules, is that not a standard item anymore with cable kits?

shimano still has those crappy plastic ones..

as for the gent above who said 'even a 10s chain will work on that setup'..no, it won't not on any 1993 8s any maker type index shift system.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2013, 10:33 AM