PDA

View Full Version : OK, December is here...any New Year's Resolutions yet?

Frank
12-01-2005, 01:00 PM
I am not counting the lose weight, eat better, ride more resolutions that most of us carry over every year.

Ginger
12-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Mt. Washington Hill Climb.

*That* takes care of any other weight/eating/riding/training resolutions I might make otherwise.

(I don't *do* New Year's Resolutions...this is as close as I've got...and yep...I'm already training for it.)

OldDog
12-01-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm going to get selfish.

This past year I spent lots of time doing for others, family and friends. Much cleaning up and rebuilding after NE floods cause by Ivan in September '04 and some spring '05 flooding. And taking care of things for my wife's sister after our brother in law passed away in August unexpectedly at age 47. All this cut severly into riding time this year.

Don't take this as a complaint as it is not. We all kick in when needed. Always have, and always will. Seems the older ya get, the more others count on you. Next year though, me and the bikes come first. Ride as much as the legs can handle. And then lots more.

Unless Mother Nature or life's other needs comes calling again.

wwtsui
12-01-2005, 03:26 PM
My wife was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer this past spring, so I'm now determined to ride next year!

gasman
12-01-2005, 03:32 PM
My wife was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer this past spring, so I'm now determined to ride next year!

I'm sorry to hear that. go for the ride !

Kevan
12-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Whom am I kidding?

Dance more.

shinomaster
12-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Can't be worse than cross can it?

Spinner
12-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Participate in my fourth national gathering of forum members for a long weekend of riding and camaraderie.

TdFL 1, TdFL 2 and G d' B were real cycling highlights.

I look forward to greeting old friends and meeting new ones.

keno
12-01-2005, 04:58 PM
In '03 it was to give up cola drinks, in '04 it was to stop putting milk or cream in my coffee, in '05 I forgot to make one, as best I remember, and I'm considering resolving to use my automobile turn signals for every turn event (I'm quite diligent now, but I believe that this would be one area of behavior in my life in which I could attain near perfection, absent bulbs out or mechanical failure) in '06. BTW, I have kept those I mentioned, save the infrequent fancy coffee drink.

keno

Smiley
12-01-2005, 04:58 PM
I swore off soft drinks and started stretching every morning , Plus I plan to race Another Wrinkle my Precision 21 on wednesday nite races this spring and summer.

809stockz
12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
I promise to stop running 3 + hours at a clip in 90 degree heat in KC. I promise to stop running 2 + hours in sub-zero temperatures in KC. I promise to stop running around a 1/4 mile track in 90 + degree heat until my lungs burst........Once my new Concours arrives in the next few weeks :bike: Well OK, I still want to punish myself with Duathlon's so scratch the track comments I made. Happy Holidays to all. :beer:

manet
12-01-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm considering resolving to use my automobile turn signals for every turn event (I'm quite diligent now, but I believe that this would be one area of behavior in my life in which I could attain near perfection, absent bulbs out or mechanical failure) in '06.
keno

words can only begin to communicate the joy my heart fills
with when i read the above. for the rest, allow me to link-ustrate:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/turn-signal-intro.jpg&imgrefurl=http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal.htm&h=344&w=373&sz=26&tbnid=JMqENoOD-LUJ:&tbnh=108&tbnw=118&hl=en&start=6&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dturn%2Bsignal%2B%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Frank
12-12-2005, 10:19 PM
I have received a couple of e-mails asking what my resolutions are. So, with the ride more, eat better, lose weight ones included, bike one's are:

1. Don't pay more than $300 for any frame/fork. There are so many great lugged steel frames, including some vintage new ones, at this price point that I am going to limit myself to this range. I think I will have just as much fun as I did bidding and buying higher priced frames because I never built most of them up, and won't spend near as much money if I am more selective. Which leads me to number 2...

2. Don't buy and sell as much as I did in 2005....or 2004...or... While I love getting new stuff, doing so means I have to sell old stuff to pay for it. The increasing cost of shipping frames, expense of bike boxes (free at bike shop when they have them but means 100 mile drive to my closest not-so LBS to pick them up) and finding packing material, and desire to not spend as much time on the computer and packing bikes, plus the hope of riding more and doing other stuff, all contribute to this resolution. This leads to number 3...

3. Spend less time on bike stuff...period...other than riding. I have started to look at how much time I spend on the computer with bike stuff (not just selling but looking, e-mails, selling, reading, etc.) and it is more time than I want to spend for a while. I usually do the large majority of it when my daughter is down for the night, or gone for the weekend, but it is still a huge investment in time. Not to say I don't enjoy it, but I think it is time to temper it somewhat and get more rest and diversify somewhat.

Okay, that is all I can think of until the end of 2006...or until I break these and substitute new ones ;)

MRB
12-12-2005, 11:01 PM
My Goal is to avoid getting lower back aches or muscle spasms. You know, the kind of ones that leave you looking like your a living beathing logo for the Infiniity car company. So far a few situps each day have done the trick, but I hope to get more limber through Yoga (with my wife!).

This winter I have been "skate skiing" at the golf course after work, and recently competed in my first race of the year. I skied 10K in 35 minutes and change... not bad for an old fart. Anyway, my point is that skate skiing can give you a bummer of a back ache, which I do not look forwards to.

Oh yea, I tried Alpine skiing again this winter too. Of course I hiked up the mtn and skied down, to avoid the nearly $50 lift ticket price. Unfortunatly the tounge of my ski boot cracked in half. Luckily I had duct tape. When it comes to duct tape, I'm on a roll.

- M

Tom
12-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Decide whether to get the alcohol or the caffeine under control in 2007.

spiderlake
12-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Resolution:

Race in Ore To Shore and Iceman Cometh challenge

Goal:

Survive Ore To Shore
Finish the Iceman in less than 2 hours and win my class