PDA

View Full Version : The Gout and Cycling

Crackerkorean
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I have had a few flareups in the past couple years but could never really source what triggered the flareup.

I went for a bike ride, only second on the bike, and the next day my toe and ankle felt gouty. (mostly mountain bike) so not sure if it was the constant pedaling and working the joint or something else.

Made sure to drink lots of water, its still a little sore but not like it was.

Anybody have issues where riding caused an attack?
Red meat is rare, as is wine and spirits. I seem to manage it pretty well with staying very hydrated.

Louis
05-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Too much whey protein gives me what I believe to be gout-like symptoms. (sharp pain in the toes of my left foot) No problems if I stick to soy protein.

Crackerkorean
05-09-2013, 07:53 PM
I haven't even started in on supplementing my protein. I am just trying to get my legs back and trying to drop weight.

But yea sharp pain with swelling and red. I get it to the point where I cant walk for several days. I know dropping weight and working out will reduce the flareups so im trying but its kind of a dammed if you do, dammed if you dont.

Louis
05-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Additional steps you may want to try:

1) Do a Google search on foods that are high in purines.

2) Get a blood test to check for uric acid.

3) Simplest thing is to stay away from rich foods.

Crackerkorean
05-09-2013, 08:08 PM
My numbers are borderline.
I need to get a better list of foods. Right all I know is to stay away from sweetbreads, which I never would eat anyway.

DreaminJohn
05-09-2013, 08:12 PM
If you take supplements, add cherry fruit extract or even better tart cherry extract. The dosages are way higher than the oft-recommended drinking of same.

I find it really helps me. Good luck. Gout is the WORST.

Crackerkorean
05-09-2013, 08:13 PM
I might have to try that. Definitely better than drinking cherry juice.

joep2517
05-09-2013, 08:31 PM
I've had gout for the past 20 years. Left ankle is permanently damaged from the gout. I've been on a med for the past 10 years that has kept all flare-ups away. Allopurnol has helped but that requires a script.

I used to supplement the allopurinol with cherry extract (I'd mix this with in a smoothie after rides). I would get it at health food stores. It's bitter but it helps.

Crackerkorean
05-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Yea I need to go back to the doc. They tried me on colcris (sp) and the side effects were horrid. See if the Allopurnol is any better.

thwart
05-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Allopurinol has helpedPretty safe drug for most who take it. Generic pricing. Long history of human use, so a well-known quantity.

If I had frequent gout attacks I would do the other things folks have mentioned, but I'd want to start taking this as well.

Although never start during an attack...

joep2517
05-09-2013, 08:41 PM
I was on allopurinol, indomethacin (nsaid) and colchicine. The doctors had me on these meds daily.

2LeftCleats
05-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Could be that the stress from pedaling is causing some microtrauma to the joints and tipping the balance toward gout attack. Since gout causes joint damage, it would be worth preventing that with allopurinol if your uric acid level is elevated or high normal.

jds108
05-09-2013, 09:05 PM
I am grateful that Allopurinol has my gout 100% controlled. $10 for 90 days worth at Walmart.

If you really wanted to, you can buy it direct from India without a prescription. (just on one of the internet mostly-legit drug sale websites.) It's cheaper for me via Walmart, so I just get it there.