PDA

View Full Version : A Possible Favor from San Franciscans

plugkev
05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I am heading down to San Francisco to run the marathon on June 16th.
I was thinking I might:

Camp outside the the city on the night of the 15th
Find a good place to park my car in the city on the morning of the 16th
And ride my bike down to the start if necessary

The start-finish is under the Bay Bridge

Can you recommend a good place to park my car on a Sunday morning?
Can you recommend a place to camp Saturday night?
Should I just grab a hotel? I am on a budget.

Thanks,

Kev

toytech
05-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Parking is ridiculous in the city, especially if there is any kind of event.
My vote would be motel+public trans (so you will have a bike to return to when you are done)

jtakeda
05-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Feel free to lock your bike up in the city, just be aware it might not be there when you get back.

Waldo
05-09-2013, 05:58 PM
SF now charges to park in metered spaces on Sundays, so make sure to feed your meter accordingly.

Ken Robb
05-09-2013, 06:13 PM
The smart thing is probably to get a modest hotel room where they don't charge TOO much for parking.

Les and I have found some really good deals using Priceline's "Name your own Price" system. Even if you find a metered spot (a minor miracle in itself) you wouldn't be able to feed the meter throughout the day.

modernfuturist
05-09-2013, 06:14 PM
I was thinking I might:

Thanks,

Kev

Parking is going to be tough no matter what...

Motel alternative: http://www.airbnb.com

nrs5000
05-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Any parking garages that are open on Sunday downtown are fairly cheap, or, at least cheaper than multiple parking tickets.

gregj
05-09-2013, 07:15 PM
If the start/finish is at the Bay Bridge, I highly recommend parking in Oakland or Berkeley and taking BART (only about 20 minutes, and a couple of bucks). You can probably walk to the start (probably <1 mile), but you can also take MUNI or a bus. Since it's the weekend, you can park in the BART station parking lot at Rockridge or North Berkeley (or in the residential streets near either of these stations).

If you decide to get a motel, I'd again suggest Berkeley or Oakland.

Greg

plugkev
05-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Bart/Trans running at 6am?

Definitely looking at Oakland

What about USF or San Fran State Campuses? Are there places to camp there?

Public parking at Golden Gate Park?

Surprised to hear theft is that bad ... I will have to bring the beater

Keep the options coming!

DRietz
05-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Bart/Trans running at 6am?

Definitely looking at Oakland

What about USF or San Fran State Campuses? Are there places to camp there?

Public parking at Golden Gate Park?

Surprised to hear theft is that bad ... I will have to bring the beater

Keep the options coming!

BART is definitely running at 6am.

Not sure about camping, but I do know that parking at Golden Gate Park is a PITA, especially on the weekends, because of the Cal Academy.

technicolor
05-09-2013, 11:03 PM
BART is definitely running at 6am.

Not sure about camping, but I do know that parking at Golden Gate Park is a PITA, especially on the weekends, because of the Cal Academy.
BART does not run that early on the weekends. They usually start around 8am. Check BART schedules here: http://bart.gov

hokoman
05-09-2013, 11:09 PM
I wish I could help you, I am out of town that weekend and live down the street from the start and finish. A couple years ago when I ran it and didn't live in the city, I think I only paid $20 bucks at a lot pretty close. Get into the city early and you can find a parking lot for a reasonable price.

zott28
05-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Unfortunately there is no camping option that is all that close. There however there are a ton of people that sleep in their car along Golden Gate park or sleep in the park, I would not recommend that.
Bike theft is like any other big city, lock it up smart and it will be there when you get back (wheels and seat too)
Most hotels anywhere close to downtown will charge a ton on parking, sometimes more than the room.
There are small hotels in neighborhoods that will be under $100 no parking, or small fee but parking won't be too hard to find on the street.
Try the Metro Hotel on Divisadaro and Page or Days Inn on Grove and Gough. They are 2-3 miles from the start of your race.

jonbek
05-09-2013, 11:24 PM
do not think about camping in golden gate park. thats illegal, and gross. stay in emeryville or oakland, take the ac transit bus over in the morning and take bart back post marathon. easy.

zott28
05-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Yes, please note that I said that tongue and cheek. I live by GG park panhandle and deal with the grossness everyday.

nrs5000
05-10-2013, 12:12 AM
For camping you could look into booking a site at an East Bay regional park like Tilden in the Berkeley Hills, although you'd have to get up hella early to get to the city in time to run. Looks like Bart doesn't start early enough on Sundays so you'd need to drive and park.

enr1co
05-10-2013, 01:13 AM
Looks to be some reasonable priced parking lots available really early AM for the SF marathon:

http://www.thesfmarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/2012-Parking-Map.pdf

There's ample availability of budget chain hotels, e.g. Motel 6 in most East Bay cities with sub $100/nite rates to get some decent sleep before your run.

Check for prices around Oakland or SF Airport - hotels around there cater to weekday business travelers so they may have weekend deals.

Driving in to SF would be ~20-30 mins but very little traffic at 4:00-5:00on a SUN morning.

fogrider
05-10-2013, 02:00 AM
this is the best kept secret (http://sfhostels.com/)
it looks like downtown is booked up for the 16th, but city center still has vacancies. parking is not easy, but there are public parking lots.

I think sutter stockton garage is not far, but expect to pay 34 bucks to park all day.

texbike
05-10-2013, 06:50 AM
I'm not sure what time the ferrys start running on Sunday Morning, but how about parking in downtown Tiburon and taking the ferry over to the Piers and riding your bike over from there?

Texbike

oldpotatoe
05-10-2013, 07:51 AM
I was thinking I might:

Thanks,

Kev

Well, having run a few marathons..find a decent, quiet motel close to bus transportation..sleep well, eat a decent breakfast, go(bus) to marathon, have fun, bus back to the motel. I can't even imagine sleeping inna tent before running a marathon, they were tough enough already.

cnighbor1
05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
stay here in walnut creek at my place take BART to run sunday
however BART starts running at 8:00am on sundays

raygunner
05-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Try Hotel Des Arts...very cool & affordable. There's a parking garage right down the street too.