PDA

View Full Version : Ultegra Di2 Retrofit?

metalheart
05-09-2013, 03:39 PM
I am considering retrofitting my wife's Ruby with SRAM Apex to Ultegra Di2 (at a good price from an LBS). I have U-Di2 that is internally routed on my bike and just wondering if there are any issues in retrofitting a frame made for cables with U-Di2. I don't suspect there are any issues, but then, I don't much about it. Any thoughts?

christian
05-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Unless you consider having some tape and ziptie issues, there's no problem doing it. If they route at the very bottom of the dt, it's basically undetectable.

metalheart
05-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Sounds as if there would be minimal issues -- and, she get a 12-30 cassette, not a 32, but close enough.

oldpotatoe
05-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Sounds as if there would be minimal issues -- and, she get a 12-30 cassette, not a 32, but close enough.

You are going to need a new junction box, well not absolutely essential. The 4 wires..RD, FD, battery and interface up by the bars go into a 4 hole junction box for internal or a BB mount junction box, that looks like a under BB guide, for external. You could just strap the internal junction box somewhere or order up the proper external one.

SoCalSteve
05-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Check out my bike...it turned out ok...but I still prefer my internally routed Colnago...it's just cleaner looking (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=109488)

Good luck!

metalheart
05-09-2013, 06:41 PM
You are going to need a new junction box, well not absolutely essential. The 4 wires..RD, FD, battery and interface up by the bars go into a 4 hole junction box for internal or a BB mount junction box, that looks like a under BB guide, for external. You could just strap the internal junction box somewhere or order up the proper external one.

Guess I ned to ask the shop a couple of questions .... they said it was an "oem" groupset and I interpreted that as it is just the same as the retail groupset .... is there a diffeence?

VA-Scooter
05-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Guess I ned to ask the shop a couple of questions .... they said it was an "oem" groupset and I interpreted that as it is just the same as the retail groupset .... is there a diffeence?

Internal or external wiring are the only differences I know of. Look at SoCal's pictures for external set-up. I have 12-30 on mine-works great.

SoCalSteve
05-09-2013, 07:59 PM

Same, just no retail packaging...Probably came off of a bike that they changed out the drive train on and that's why they are selling it for less.

metalheart
05-09-2013, 08:23 PM
thanks ... Socal Steve, that is a lovely bike and seems to me a very clean install for external cabling.... I will have to show that to the shop when they do the install!