PDA

View Full Version : Easton EA90SLX

johnmdesigner
05-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Anyone riding these? Have an itch that needs scratching.
I am seeing new sets of these for Campy on Fleabay for around $650. Pretty impressive weight at around 1400g.
Heard of some problems with earlier versions with breaking spokes. Anyone using them and have some input good or bad?

As always thanks for reading.

tuscanyswe
05-09-2013, 03:22 PM
I bought a used set on here. One of the older models. It was rubbish! Broke a spoke for the first time ever actually. Then another short after. Rim seemed to wear fast. Dident even bather rebuilding after 2nd spoke.

azrider
05-09-2013, 03:28 PM
woops

oliver1850
05-09-2013, 03:31 PM
A friend has 2500 miles on a pair. He really likes them, but has had trouble with the rear hub - freehub not freewheeling freely. Easton replaced the axle and FHB, but I don't know if it's a long term fix or if the problem will crop up again. No spoke issues for him though.

avalonracing
05-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I have three, count 'em three pair. I love these wheels. They are light for aluminum, have a good, lively feel and have stayed very true for me. Admittedly their use has been split up among three of four road bikes and a couple of other sets of wheels (I have different tires for different conditions) so I probably don't that I have much more than 5K miles on any set.

Still, I'd buy them again and highly recommend them.

johnmdesigner
05-09-2013, 04:10 PM
I have three, count 'em three pair. I love these wheels. They are light for aluminum, have a good, lively feel and have stayed very true for me. Admittedly their use has been split up among three of four road bikes and a couple of other sets of wheels (I have different tires for different conditions) so I probably don't that I have much more than 5K miles on any set.

Still, I'd buy them again and highly recommend them.

Any tire mounting issues? I tried to mount a Pro 4 on an EA50SL rim. I started to cry.

avalonracing
05-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Any tire mounting issues? I tried to mount a Pro 4 on an EA50SL rim. I started to cry.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that... ;)

I get my Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX 23c and 25c's on and off without any issue when I use a Quik Stik.

mvrider
05-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Not sure which vintage you're referring to, but about 5 years ago I picked up a used pair on eBay for ~$300. This was the pre-ceramic bearing version.

No issues with hub, spokes, or even tire mounting that I can remember (I used PR3s and GP4000s). In the end, I felt that the wheels were a little whippy for my 175 lbs, so I donated them to a 110 lb friend, who now enjoys them on her Litespeed.

ofcounsel
05-10-2013, 12:56 AM
I have a pair. I only have about 2000 miles on mine, but I've had no issues, and I'm a 220lbs.

rustychisel
05-10-2013, 01:08 AM
No direct experience but last summer I was toiling up Montacute Road, on a steep pitch ~14% near Corkscrew and was passed by a young whippet and his mate, both about 140lb soaking wet. 50m further on there was a loud - I mean loud!!! BANG and one of them climbed off his bike, quickly.

As the story went, he had a new pair of EA90SLX and one of the rear drive side spokes had let go. The wheel was out of true by at least 2 inches and would not clear the stays of his Orbea Orca (IIRC). That was the end of his ride; he and his mate were none too impressed.

Generally, I like Easton components, but no.

spartanKid
05-10-2013, 01:54 AM
I've not had any experience with the SLXs but I have the SLs and they've held up remarkably well under by 190lbs for thousands of training miles.

The SLs are still pretty light, around 1500g

distanc3
05-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Anyone had these and krysiums and like to share their experience?

Both are roughly the same rice but I find the eastons more appealing.:banana:

downtube
05-15-2013, 11:01 PM
My wife has put several thousand miles on a set of SL's. Zero issues.

Gummee
05-16-2013, 08:02 AM
No direct experience but last summer I was toiling up Montacute Road, on a steep pitch ~14% near Corkscrew and was passed by a young whippet and his mate, both about 140lb soaking wet. 50m further on there was a loud - I mean loud!!! BANG and one of them climbed off his bike, quickly.

As the story went, he had a new pair of EA90SLX and one of the rear drive side spokes had let go. The wheel was out of true by at least 2 inches and would not clear the stays of his Orbea Orca (IIRC). That was the end of his ride; he and his mate were none too impressed.

Generally, I like Easton components, but no.They had a bad batch of spokes a little while back. Lots of those stories. My riding buddy had the same problem.

Evidently, they just toss all the spokes in a bin and build with em that way. You may/may not get a bad spoke, two, or three.

They seem to have fixed the problem.

M