PDA

View Full Version : Entrant to Epic - first partake to Rapha

fuzzalow
05-09-2013, 07:14 AM
You never really know until you have a go. Or more like to borrow a riff from Mae West "I'll try anything once,..."

As a lifelong wearer of Assos shorts (drawstring waist era) to the present Assos bibs, there's has not been a lot of thought or variety needed in what to wear for the bottom half. BTW, even the Assos shorts from the old days were archaic & primitive compared to what we have now. And Assos then was still leagues better than most of the wool shorts of the time. Back then all shorts had real chamois pads, which after repeated washings, was another way of saying 80 grit.

So for variety's sake, jerseys are the only outlet in the uniform. Kind of like how neckties were in the 5-days a week business suit era. And for the gamut of loyalties and emotions that surround all things Rapha, I have yet to know the reality firsthand. So it was only a matter of time.

I have no predisposition for or against Rapha. I can easily see myself posing in Rapha at the coffee stops - doesn't bother me. So I bought a jersey. Big deal, right? I decided to go for the full monty, maximum pose, epic sartorial splendor: Rapha + Paul Smith Black Jersey.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xAK6DJCmA9c/UYr8ixQ7ERI/AAAAAAAAAY8/3Ne9oR2s5vI/s640/DSC00272.JPG
I admire the effort put out by Rapha - no so much in the care, management and nurturing of their image but for the fact that they try exceedingly hard to have their customer experience not belie the perception they have created. Rapha ships quickly and included little freebies like a musette, stickers and a Welcome Brochure (!:rolleyes:!). The little things all add up. Can't speak yet to how the clothing holds up but it is well made, looks stylish in a non-garish presentation and fits well. So far, so good.

Then again, it's only a bike jersey.

CNY rider
05-09-2013, 07:39 AM
I think you will like it.
Next try the bibs. They are truly excellent. And they are better than the current Assos with the big green diaper.
There, I said it.

AngryScientist
05-09-2013, 07:40 AM
I think you will like it.
Next try the bibs. They are truly excellent. And they are better than the current Assos with the big green diaper.
There, I said it.

and i agree.

FlashUNC
05-09-2013, 07:40 AM
The bibs are where its at.

cfox
05-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Way to go all-in your first time the Paul Smith line. No need to dick about, right? You'll like it; Rapha is nice stuff.

67-59
05-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Whether or not you like the marketing hype, Rapha quality is for real. You start to notice it when the package arrives, but don't really get it until you've worn the kit through a season or two...when you realize that it has held up better than you ever imagined it would. As long as they aren't mucking up the sales tax issue (subject of a different thread), Rapha is the real deal.

MattTuck
05-09-2013, 08:45 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzp1l7mBeP1qbm82f.gif

I think some Rapha bibs are in my future.

roguedog
05-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Oh yeah. I didn't really believe it but when I needed another pair of shorts and Rapha was having a sale, I thought i'd give it a go...

Whoa. Oh. Nice.

bluesea
05-09-2013, 08:51 AM
My last real chamois Assos shorts was bought in 94-95.

avalonracing
05-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Well, don't forget to get the $75 Rapha silk scarf. When it is back in stock that is...

http://www.rapha.cc/silk-scarf-1-2-3

sdg71
05-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Same jersey as yours...same great feeling from a thing done well...this is Piazza del Campo in Siena..site of the famous Palio!

danielpack22@ma
05-09-2013, 09:40 AM
The bibs are where its at.

Any idea how the Rapha bib's fit compare to Castelli's?

avalonracing
05-09-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking about buying some Rapha shoe trees:

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-shoe-trees

Foolishly I've been using generic cedar shoe trees for many years. While I feel that my shoes are keeping their shape they are just missing that extra edge than only a branded shoe tree can provide.
Can anyone let me know how much better these are than the cedar shoe trees I've been using for many years? Will I see an immediate upgrade in the fit and care of my shoes?

FlashUNC
05-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Any idea how the Rapha bib's fit compare to Castelli's?

Funny you ask. Primary shorts I've worn over the last decade or so were Castelli, then I switched to Rapha.

Biggest differences for me (190-200lb rider with not insubstantial hamhock thighs to get my fat butt up hill slowly):

Castelli uses a MUCH thinner chamois. Rapha's is thicker but not quite diaper territory. Also generally feels wider on my butt, but YMMV. I personally prefer the Rapha chamois, especially on longer rides.

The legs and cuffs on Rapha's classic bibs are not as compressive as Castelli shorts generally. The classic bibs have a more matte appearance to the lycra, so not as shiny shiny.

The Rapha Pro Team shorts are more in line with Castelli's offerings imo. Pad is thinner -- but still a touch thicker than Castelli -- but the legs and cuffs are far more compressive. Not sausage casing tight, but definitely tighter. They're also designed for really hot days it seems, while I think the Classic Bibs can be worn over a slightly wider temperature range.

Hope this helps.

danielpack22@ma
05-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Did you stick with the same size when you purchased the Rapha shorts?
Thanks!

Funny you ask. Primary shorts I've worn over the last decade or so were Castelli, then I switched to Rapha.

Biggest differences for me (190-200lb rider with not insubstantial hamhock thighs to get my fat butt up hill slowly):

Castelli uses a MUCH thinner chamois. Rapha's is thicker but not quite diaper territory. Also generally feels wider on my butt, but YMMV. I personally prefer the Rapha chamois, especially on longer rides.

The legs and cuffs on Rapha's classic bibs are not as compressive as Castelli shorts generally. The classic bibs have a more matte appearance to the lycra, so not as shiny shiny.

The Rapha Pro Team shorts are more in line with Castelli's offerings imo. Pad is thinner -- but still a touch thicker than Castelli -- but the legs and cuffs are far more compressive. Not sausage casing tight, but definitely tighter. They're also designed for really hot days it seems, while I think the Classic Bibs can be worn over a slightly wider temperature range.

Hope this helps.

jr59
05-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Dang, I thought I was going to see a good short film about riding! :p

FlashUNC
05-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Did you stick with the same size when you purchased the Rapha shorts?
Thanks!

Heavens no. Castelli is sized for 5'6" Italian men who weigh 130 lbs soaking wet while carrying two gallons of milk home from the supermarket.

The Rapha size chart on their site I found fairly true to form, and I think I went down a size going from Castelli to Rapha.

The one quirk I've seen in Rapha's sizing. I wear an XL short, a L jersey, and an XL jacket/vest.

Heck if I know why.

cfox
05-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Castelli sizing is a joke. I wear a small everything in Rapha, but can barely squeeze into a large Castelli bib. A medium Castelli jersey is like a tent on me.

fuzzalow
05-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Always open to new things and some of comments here make it worth following the recommendation. So next up come the bibs.

I'm done with bikes for a while. It is actually a good thing to find out about great pieces of gear that has quality and longevity. That way makes it possible to be done with gear for a while too.

Louis
05-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Then again, it's only a bike jersey.

If only life in the first world were this simple. (But then all our marketing folks would be unemployed.)

fuzzalow
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Same jersey as yours...same great feeling from a thing done well...this is Piazza del Campo in Siena..site of the famous Palio!

Rapha jersey, Assos bibs, Peg bike. Hmmm. Same as mine. Most excellent taste :). You ride much nicer locales.

If only life in the first world were this simple. (But then all our marketing folks would be unemployed.)

What can I tell ya? In the first world, as in life, sometimes a jersey is just a jersey.

bluesea
05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Haven't warmed up to my FI 13 S5 or the cheaper one with the crappy stitching. Still trying to break in their cod piece-like pads. My FI 13 S2 are gold once broken in with a few k miles.

Next up: Rapha, I guess.

tiretrax
05-09-2013, 03:35 PM
My cycling wardrobe is mainly Castelli and Rapha. I wear Rapha bibs on any ride over 50 miles. No problems. I find the chamois a little too thick off the bike, but it's blissful when riding.

I love the Rapha jerseys, but they're too heavy for most Texas summer days, even the lightweight jersey.