PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone 400?

Lanterne Rouge
05-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Hey,

I'm looking to build up a gravel grinder and I've come across a late 80's Bridgestone 400 which I think might fit the bill. Anyone have experience with this frame?

It's ready to go and is sensibly specced with Ultegra barcons, long cage deore RD (2x8), strong light cranks etc.

Thanks. :cool:

maunahaole
05-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Sheldon still provides.

http://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1986/pages/16-bridgestone-400.html

pinkshogun
05-08-2013, 08:08 PM
the 400 is a mid-level 'racer/commuter'. originally they came with 27" wheels. i have a 1986 400 and a Panaracer Pasela 700x32 will fit without fenders. 650b Hetres/fender will also fit with centerpull brakes

Lanterne Rouge
05-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys. So assuming it's in reasonable condition then it's probably a good candidate for a gravel rider/credit card tourer?

Any ideas on what would be reasonable amount of money for it? He's asking $385 And for a hot market like NY that's pretty reasonable I think? I mean a bashed up Schwinn will go for $250.

Thanks again.

AngryScientist
05-09-2013, 07:54 AM
under 400 for a quality steel frame with solid serviceable components is more than fair. if it fits you, and fills a niche you are looking for, jump on it. you will/can spend way, way more than that chasing what you want, bridgestone is a good name to go for at this price point IMO.

Lanterne Rouge
05-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah that's what I thought.

My only worry is the rims look pretty worn and might need replacing and if there is one job I don't enjoy it is wheel building.

mainstreetexile
05-10-2013, 12:24 AM
385 sounds high for even for a completely mint 400, but if it's been completely overhauled and had all of its consumables (tires, cables, brake pads) replaced, it's not an unreasonable price.

This one sounds like a bit of a frankenbike, but the ultegra barcons are a nice upgrade. If the rims are beat and the wheelset needs to be replaced (or if you're going to relace new rims), I would say that's probably too much and it should factor into the pricing/negotiation.

Could be a good project though if you get it for the right price. Bridgestone made some great frames, hard to find a comparable modern lugged frame for anywhere near the same price.

fiamme red
05-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys. So assuming it's in reasonable condition then it's probably a good candidate for a gravel rider/credit card tourer?

Any ideas on what would be reasonable amount of money for it? He's asking $385 And for a hot market like NY that's pretty reasonable I think? I mean a bashed up Schwinn will go for $250.

Thanks again.$385 is definitely reasonable, if it's in good condition.