PDA

View Full Version : garmin hear rate strap solution

crownjewelwl
05-08-2013, 07:07 PM
I think the garmin premium hr strap stinks...the sensors seem spotty and the strap itself has a tendency to move down

The polar wearlink replacement strap is much better in function and fit...and the garmin receiver snaps right in

It was a fix that dcrainmaker suggested and it works...the strap is about $17

Just an fyi...

vqdriver
05-08-2013, 07:27 PM
good to know. i do feel like i'm readjusting a bra or something as that thing shifts down.

Pete Mckeon
05-09-2013, 04:10 AM
for me over the past year was returned to GARMIN and they warrantied with a "Hard strap" from them that works better. POLAR has never not worked for me (unless the battery dies)> I have also tried the polar strap with Garmin snap in and it works better than "Premium Garmin strap. A very smart friend of mine said that the straps inner wires were breaking down in conductivity,:confused:

I think the garmin premium hr strap stinks...the sensors seem spotty and the strap itself has a tendency to move down

The polar wearlink replacement strap is much better in function and fit...and the garmin receiver snaps right in

Just an fyi...

chromopromo
05-09-2013, 01:01 PM
for me over the past year was returned to GARMIN and they warrantied with a "Hard strap" from them that works better. POLAR has never not worked for me (unless the battery dies)> I have also tried the polar strap with Garmin snap in and it works better than "Premium Garmin strap. A very smart friend of mine said that the straps inner wires were breaking down in conductivity,:confused:

By "hard strap" do you mean the standard non-premium heart rate monitor? I have the regular heart rate monitor and its also super finicky. I was thinking of getting the premium version but won't bother if its even worse.

dan682
05-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks for this info - I just ordered the Polar strap. Hope it stops all the weird spikes when descending.

damocles
05-09-2013, 11:23 PM
The "premium" Garmin strap that I've tried sucks. It was always losing connection. I've had several non-premium/standard ones now and have had no issues at all.

Shortsocks
05-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Thanks for this info - I just ordered the Polar strap. Hope it stops all the weird spikes when descending.

That's horribly irritating. I had a several 16 mile descents last year, 5 in one week, and it pissed me off to all hell after I hooked up with Garmin connect. I had a "260" heart rate descending.

Socks

Shortsocks
05-10-2013, 01:07 AM

Just an fyi...

Can you post the link for myself and others on the forum to the strap you ordered? Make it easier for us?

russ46
07-10-2013, 11:42 AM
FYI - Bought a Polar strap from Amazon to fix the Garmin soft strap problem (this is the second one I've had go bad). On first appearance, it looked like the Garmin would snap right into the Polar strap, which it does, but it just won't stay. Bummer. This heart monitor is still under warranty, but I'm going to see if they'll replace with the standard strap & give that a try.

christian
07-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Surely there is a sports bra on the market into which one can slip a Garmin HRM, no? That would cure the slipping.

crownjewelwl
07-10-2013, 12:07 PM
FYI - Bought a Polar strap from Amazon to fix the Garmin soft strap problem (this is the second one I've had go bad). On first appearance, it looked like the Garmin would snap right into the Polar strap, which it does, but it just won't stay. Bummer. This heart monitor is still under warranty, but I'm going to see if they'll replace with the standard strap & give that a try.

eh? mine snapped right in

eippo1
07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
I went back to the standard Garmin strap and have been very happy that I did.

zandrrr
07-10-2013, 12:41 PM
The Garmin strap sucks and the Polar strap with the Garmin transmitter sucks. At this point I consider HR straps to be an immature technology. :mad:

VTCaraco
07-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Someone handy should sew elastic to throw over your shoulders as a sort of HR strap suspenders. I've been asking my sister for a few years now. She thinks I'm kidding. I find them to be even MORE dreadful in the winter with XC skiing. First you have to lick your hands, rub the sensors and lift your shirt, regardless of how cold it might be. And then 40 minutes in or less, with the back and forth of poling, it's down around your waist.
Sure, you can cinch it down, but then you destroy the elastic.
I've wondered if it's my physiology/build, but I haven't been able to get any of them to stay put for long. I was a Polar guy for a long, long time, then Garmin, now Suunto. For this, they all stink :fight:

russ46
07-10-2013, 01:48 PM
eh? mine snapped right in

Unfortunately for me, mine snapped right in & then promptly popped right out. One side was worse than the other but it wasn't a dependable connection either. I am going to try the first monitor I have tonight (if I can find it).

gavingould
07-10-2013, 02:08 PM
never had a problem with the "premium" garmin heart rate soft strap over the last 3 years - and i sweat a ton (fatty)
i think my heaving gut holds the thing up under my moobs.

wet the contact points when putting it on (give 'em a lick, i know - gross)
snap the sensor pod off and toss the strap in the wash once in a while...

shovelhd
07-10-2013, 03:22 PM
never had a problem with the "premium" garmin heart rate soft strap over the last 3 years - and i sweat a ton (fatty)
i think my heaving gut holds the thing up under my moobs.

wet the contact points when putting it on (give 'em a lick, i know - gross)
snap the sensor pod off and toss the strap in the wash once in a while...

+1. No issues here either. When the Garmin strap wears out I have a Polar ready to go.

zmudshark
07-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Surely there is a sports bra on the market into which one can slip a Garmin HRM, no? That would cure the slipping.

Winner.

Steve530
07-10-2013, 04:48 PM
My standard Garmin HRM works well. Guess I won't be tempted to upgrade.

Pyramor
07-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Had the Garmin standard strap for over 2 1/2 years and never a problem. Still on the original battery with over 500 hours logged. I choose the standard over the premium because of the reported problems with the premium and because I have an old analog Performance hard strap that is comfortable and has worked well for me. Can't see any reason to "upgrade."

jberenyi
07-10-2013, 08:00 PM
I've been using my Garmin premium strap all season with no issues but I've been using a conductive gel under the contacts. Never had a hiccup yet...cross my fingers. Also, after each ride I rinse the strap and allow to dry on its own.

Peterjvh
07-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Have a Polar (non ANT+) HRM and strap and it sucks with my Polar FT60 watch.
Using a Bontrager HRM and str with my Garmin Edge 810 and it works like a charm. Instant and always connection, no slipping and easy snap on/off.

roguedog
07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Whoa. Good to know of these issues. I've been debating upgrading.. hmm.. maybe not.

Oh.. hmm.. are people having issues with the first gen of premium or the current gen of premium? I know the first gen seemed to be problematic but figured they'd have resolved it with the current one.