PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cru (Velo-Orange) long reach brakes

GRAVELBIKE
05-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Question for those using the Grand Cru (Velo-Orange) long reach dual-pivot brakes:

Is there a bushing/sleeve where the spring contacts the caliper/arm, or is it metal/metal contact?

Thanks.

hampco
05-07-2013, 03:56 PM
mine have a plastic bushing...

GRAVELBIKE
05-07-2013, 03:58 PM
mine have a plastic bushing...

Great, thanks.

Any comments on how they compare to Shimano's R600 or R650 calipers?

austex
05-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Bicycle Quarterly/Jan Heine liked 'em alot after upgrading to KoolStop salmon pads...not enough to replace his MAFAC's, mind you, but alot. (don't have the issue cite handy-sorry)

Tom
Austin, TX

GRAVELBIKE
05-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Bicycle Quarterly/Jan Heine liked 'em alot after upgrading to KoolStop salmon pads...not enough to replace his MAFAC's, mind you, but alot. (don't have the issue cite handy-sorry)

Tom
Austin, TX

Found it:

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/product-test-velo-orange-grand-cru-brakes/

fiamme red
05-07-2013, 04:17 PM
It would make a good Bicycle Quarterly article if Jan Heine reviewed and compared the various long-reach sidepulls (Shimano, Tektro, VO, etc.).

sparky33
05-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Once had a bike with the VO brakes. They are powerful and natural feeling, look good too... Better than any other long reach I've used in that regard.
The only downside is that the quick release lever doesn't open the caliper a ton so a fat tire might not pass through inflated without some fiddling. I recall that Jan's BQ review was spot on, which is not always my opinion of his views.

GRAVELBIKE
05-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Once had a bike with the VO brakes. They are powerful and natural feeling, look good too... Better than any other long reach I've used in that regard.
The only downside is that the quick release lever doesn't open the caliper a ton so a fat tire might not pass through inflated without some fiddling. I recall that Jan's BQ review was spot on, which is not always my opinion of his views.

I have Campy levers with their own q/r, so clearance shouldn't be an issue.

austex
05-08-2013, 07:53 AM
It would make a good Bicycle Quarterly article if Jan Heine reviewed and compared the various long-reach sidepulls (Shimano, Tektro, VO, etc.).

An earlier BQ DID have a comparo of Shimano, Tektro and Cane Creek, I believe. The VO Gran Cru was not, at the time, available. In the earlier article, the Shimano was a stand-out; the others were too flexy. The later Gran Cru review would seem to place it above the Shimano.

Tom
Austin