PDA

View Full Version : Reciprocity for cyclist harassed by motorist

staggerwing
05-07-2013, 09:58 AM
I’ve been a little hesitant to publically post this, but the positive reaction from one of Cincinnati’s finest deserves mention. :banana:

The location was Mt. Lookout Square, in urban Cincinnati, just this past Saturday afternoon. Despite the name, it is actually an irregular, two-lane, football-shaped loop, about 300 feet long, with a pair of roads, intersecting both the south and north ends in a “Y”. It is an old, village like, business district, with numerous restaurants, boutiques, and the like surrounding, and generally filled with pedestrians on nice afternoons. There are no less than 5 traffic lights, and 8 marked crosswalks all within a very compact area. A Google Map of the area (http://goo.gl/maps/4jhlH)

I entered the loop from the southwest on Delta Ave. Due to the narrow roadway, and street parking, the safe path through is to take the lane. It has never been an issue prior, and as the loop is only a few hundred feet long, it is impossible to impede traffic for long. However, the gentleman behind me must have felt that I was seriously hampering his afternoon, as he promptly started honking at me immediately after clearing the light. I looked back, but held my position, as I was going to continue on Delta as it exits the northeast side of the loop. The exit is a single lane pinch point, but quickly opens up to two lanes within 100 feet. Again, the gentleman was angered, and bleated out a quick succession of horn blows. As we hit the two lane portion, he laid on the gas, cutting sharply around me.

The Lexus driver was so fixated on me, that he must have failed to noticed the fully marked, Cincinnati Police cruiser in the position directly behind. Apparently, the officer had seen enough, and hit his light bar and siren as soon as the Lexus driver jerked around me, pulling him over within !00 feet. I voiced a “Thank You” to the still seated officer as I was pedaling past, and noticed him shaking his head at the man ahead. As I passed the driver, he screamed out “you must obey the law too!” Couldn’t help but mutter back, “I thought I was,” but left it at that. I did not stop.

I don’t know if the guy was ticketed, or just lectured. I’ve seen a lot of stupid stuff from motorists pulled in direct view of local officers without consequence, so the reaction was pleasantly surprising. Cincinnati does appear to be taking cycling safety seriously. :banana:

It should be noted that on the Saturday just four weeks prior, another Cincinnati officer, this one on bicycle, pulled into the driveway of a motorist that cut me off only moments prior. I had met her just a minute or two before, and after a pleasantry, continued North on MLK, a four lane urban arterial, with full bike lanes. She lagged behind doing the patrol thing. Several hundred feet on, a white SUV approached from behind, accelerated hard, laid on the brakes, and cut hard across my bow into their driveway, on the right. It wasn’t that close for me, although I did have to brake, and swing out of the bike lane a bit. I was thinking “just another bonehead… it wouldn’t have taken another 3 seconds to duck in behind me. “ Ironically, there wasn’t another vehicle to be seen heading the same direction. Nevertheless, a little further on, I notice the trailing officer ducking into the offending bozos driveway. Again, I don't know what transpired, but I was a little surprised by the reaction. :banana:

I did send a polite "Thank You" letter to the precinct captain.

malcolm
05-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Well done with the note. Most often we only send a note to complain and seldom when things go right or to offer a job well done. Good on you.

Louis
05-07-2013, 11:01 AM
well done with the note. Most often we only send a note to complain and seldom when things go right or to offer a job well done. Good on you.

+1

redir
05-07-2013, 11:04 AM
yeha plus one on the thank you note. Sometimes it means a real lot.

Rada
05-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Good to hear some nice things said about the Cincinnati PD. I lived in Mt Adams for a number of years. While down there I became good friends with a detective. Also great to see the city becoming more cyclist friendly.

Aaron O
05-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I really hope that one day I have a positive interaction with a member of the PPD...I'd love to send a thank you to an officer that goes above and beyond, or who even does the bare minimum. Unfortunately, I haven't had that happen in Philadelphia.

I can honestly say that our police culture and service levels are so problematic that they are a major detriment when deciding whether or not to live here.

Louis
05-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't had that happen in Philadelphia.

They haven't dropped an incendiary device on your home yet, have they? Just be thankful for that.

Aaron O
05-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Good point :help:

Waldo
05-07-2013, 12:39 PM
I always wave at cops as I ride past -- just a small goodwill gesture.

Pyramor
05-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Sadly, most police officers do not care about the rights and safety of cyclists. They often view us as annoyances at best and more often impediments to real vehicles. Many don't even know the laws relating to bicycles. I say this from the prospective of 35 years as a prosecutor. There are, however, some who understand that the law must be applied in an even-handed manner and will take the time to do so, even if no one complains. In those situations I have found that a letter or email to the Chief of Police expressing appreciation in how the officer conducted him/herself is a great public relations tool. In the future perhaps more officers will be inclined to care.

tch
05-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Ummmm.... am I missing something with the thread title? I'm happy for the experience of the OP, but the thread title seems confusing and to suggest just the opposite situation: that the cyclist was harassing the motorist.

Is that supposed to be "Consequences for cyclist-harassing motorist"?

staggerwing
05-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Ummmm.... am I missing something with the thread title? I'm happy for the experience of the OP, but the thread title seems confusing and to suggest just the opposite situation: that the cyclist was harassing the motorist.

Is that supposed to be "Consequences for cyclist-harassing motorist"?

Agree, title was somewhat ambiguous. Tweaked a smidge.

If you would have asked me 6 weeks ago if I would have ever expected such a reaction, I would have looked at you mystified. At some level, the officer was just doing his job, but as no blood was shed, it would have been far easier to ignore. From my perspective, the officer absolutely deserved a letter of thanks.

InspectorGadget
05-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Instant karma! We should all be so lucky.

I called the police and gave them the plate number and vehicle description of an offending motorist just yesterday morning.

Tandem Rider
05-07-2013, 06:29 PM
I was hit from behind a week ago, an Officer from the town's PD finally showed up 20 minutes after calling 911, I gave them the lic. no. and a description, he told me I should be more careful. One could easily walk across this town in 20 minutes. Obviously, nothing was done. I won't be sending a nice note. Too bad I can't withold further payments for services not recieved but previously payed for.

On the other hand, the County Sheriff's Dept. is the polar opposite, friendly, understand the law, great to deal with. They help with local races, triathlons, runs, etc.

The town in in the same county.

Aaron O
05-07-2013, 07:22 PM
It all comes down to the management and culture; there are departments in Philly where employees go the extra mile and really care about their customers. The police I've dealt with here are not among them.

Gummee
05-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Sadly, most police officers do not care about the rights and safety of cyclists. They often view us as annoyances at best and more often impediments to real vehicles. Many don't even know the laws relating to bicycles. I say this from the prospective of 35 years as a prosecutor. There are, however, some who understand that the law must be applied in an even-handed manner and will take the time to do so, even if no one complains. In those situations I have found that a letter or email to the Chief of Police expressing appreciation in how the officer conducted him/herself is a great public relations tool. In the future perhaps more officers will be inclined to care.
One of my riding buddies is a cop. He sees as much crap as I do...

You can bet if he sees something while he's working, he's taking the cyclist's side. :nod

M