PDA

View Full Version : Lower back pain

Slave2Gus
11-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Probably not the first time this has come up BUT...
what might be causing the searing pain in my lower back??? The bike has been fitted and most everything feels pretty good (but my back!). I feel pretty well balanced over the bike. I regularly work my core and stretch pretty well although I'm no yoga master. The pain shows up after 10-15 miles, which usually includes some reasonable climbing. Could it be saddle tilt? I lowered the handlebars a bit on the last fit but did not adjust the tilt on the saddle (a Fizik Aliente). I'm always trying to find the sweet spot on that saddle but find I just move around a bunch.

Fixed
11-30-2005, 08:32 PM
bro i'm no expert by any means but i.m.h.o. put your h.b.'s back where they were before your back pain started and watch pushing big gears in cold weather. I lower my saddle in the winter and raise it in summer a little cheers :beer:

eddief
11-30-2005, 09:29 PM
lowering the saddle can help with this problem. Millimeters here can make all the difference in how much you are stretching to get to the bottom of the pedal stroke. I am one of the many.

Slave2Gus
11-30-2005, 11:49 PM
saddle tilt or turning up my handlebars just a tiny bit? I really like where my bars are now and don't want to put any more spacers in. When they were higher I used to get "rigor mortis" in my arms and my shoulders would ache. Dropped the bars and my arms moved into that nice slace angle. The hoods do seem a bit low, though.

shaq-d
12-01-2005, 08:41 AM
saddle tilt or turning up my handlebars just a tiny bit? I really like where my bars are now and don't want to put any more spacers in. When they were higher I used to get "rigor mortis" in my arms and my shoulders would ache. Dropped the bars and my arms moved into that nice slace angle. The hoods do seem a bit low, though.

do it; it's what the pro climbers do...

sd

bulliedawg
12-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Probably not the first time this has come up BUT...
what might be causing the searing pain in my lower back??? The bike has been fitted and most everything feels pretty good (but my back!). I feel pretty well balanced over the bike. I regularly work my core and stretch pretty well although I'm no yoga master. The pain shows up after 10-15 miles, which usually includes some reasonable climbing. Could it be saddle tilt? I lowered the handlebars a bit on the last fit but did not adjust the tilt on the saddle (a Fizik Aliente). I'm always trying to find the sweet spot on that saddle but find I just move around a bunch.

I had some brutal back muscle pain after I decided to go lower and longer, and moved my seat back thanks to Pale Scottsman hooking me up with a seatpost with setback.

I contacted several forum members who had also moved back their seats in an effort to go lower and longer. They encouraged me to stick with the experiment if I could. I did, and it paid off with greater comfort and more power.

zap
12-01-2005, 09:59 AM
What bulliedawg said.

Check out cyclingnews.com and read the articles written by Steve Hogg.