PDA

View Full Version : Project advice - Old Man ride

colod
05-07-2013, 12:04 AM
I am thinking about trying to build up a bike for my old man for Father's Day. He's 70 years old now, and hardly a serious rider anymore, but he used to race fairly seriously before I came along and demanded all his time. Lately he was riding my old full suspension mountain bike, which made no sense to go a few miles on the roads around their place.

So, what should replace it? I think the upright position of a mountain bike makes sense, and either flat or some other non-drop bars. Can't be a single speed or fixie, as it's a fairly hilly area. Doesn't need fat tires, but cyclocross-esq might make sense.

More importantly, it should be reasonably stylish. Guy used to race a handmade Swiss Allegro dressed in full Campy Record; a hybrid from Target is not what we need here. (Plus, I might want to spin around on it when I visit. ;)

Could be fun to build it up from parts, so recommendations for specifics (bars, frames, etc) are welcome. Other ideas are as well. Haven't quite seen anything like what I have in mind on the market, but a full bike would be considered. Not going to spend $2k (sorry Dad!) but willing to spend some.

Louis
05-07-2013, 12:13 AM
I'd say a flat-bar hybrid from his LBS. I'm sure they have one at a price-point that works for your budget.

As an alternative I was also thinking something used that you put together for him, but I don't know if a used bike would be the right thing.

I'd spend the $ and get him something nice and shiny.

colod
05-07-2013, 12:24 AM
If I can come up with something used with some panache, I'd rather do that, I think. A new hybrid is a little too easy, I think. Unless it comes with Campy.

Louis
05-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Forget what you want. What does he want?

mccx
05-07-2013, 12:41 AM
How customized do you want the fit to be? And do you want a modern drivetrain or vintage 12 speed?

I was perusing local ads & eBay over the weekend and saw a 70's Mercian and an 80's Paramount for around $1000 that had plenty of panache. If I were doing this kind of project and wanted a modern drivetrain I'd probably go for a classic 80's frame with a new Veloce group.

colod
05-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Oh, I don't know the answer to that. Don't think he cares all that much - just something he can spin around on without looking too goofy, if you were to ask him.

But that doesn't mean that he wouldn't appreciate something with a bit more class and thought put into it. Just like the rest of us.

yetitotheheady
05-07-2013, 01:11 AM
+1 on what he wants what about these.

http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/ticino-ticino20d-bikes-mens

http://publicbikes.com/c/diamond-bikes

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/content/review-soma-buena-vista-mixte

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ah_blake/4610641626/

this last one is out of your price range but still cool http://www.shinola.com/shop/the-runwell-bicycle.html

RFC
05-07-2013, 02:20 AM
Put a lion on a hybrid! OMG! Yes, something with panache, old or new steel. But, higher drops and lower gears. Wide road tires, too. And trick it out cosmetically where ever you can.

Birddog
05-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Soma Doublecross.https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxQjvPufAOfD0X2aIBqP7ziI3YRtkDo 5FF6qkMycFvMGrRlNoZ9Q

downtube
05-07-2013, 07:26 AM
I have ridden with some 70 year old guys that kicked my butt. Get him something cool, let him ride in style. Find him a clean steel De Rosa,Merckx, Colnago or Della Santa built with campy stuff and watch him go. He will be back in form in no time.
Once a racer always a racer, it never leaves you.

palincss
I am thinking about trying to build up a bike for my old man for Father's Day. He's 70 years old now, and hardly a serious rider anymore, but he used to race fairly seriously before I came along and demanded all his time. Lately he was riding my old full suspension mountain bike, which made no sense to go a few miles on the roads around their place.

So, what should replace it? I think the upright position of a mountain bike makes sense, and either flat or some other non-drop bars. Can't be a single speed or fixie, as it's a fairly hilly area. Doesn't need fat tires, but cyclocross-esq might make sense.

I don't understand why you think the bike should have flat bars. Why not drop bars? You did say he used to be a fairly serious racer, so it's not like he'd be afraid of drops like some kind of novice. Also - there are a number of us here who were born in or before 1943 who might find being called "old" or thought of as doddering to be more than a little condescending.

However, if he's gotten used to riding a FS MTB it makes sense to think he's interested in comfort, and wider tires are an excellent way to get it. How about something like a Rawland Nordavinden or Stag? Frames are under $800. Another obvious possibility, although apt to be a bit overbuilt for the job, would be the Surly LHT. You can get them as complete bikes for startlingly little money (around $1300). The sort of componentry used for the complete LHT would also do a nice job on a Rawland. Sturdy and functional, nothing fancy and amazingly cheap for what you get.

djg
Not sure what you want to spend or how much of a project it's supposed to be. Or, in the end, what he'd like to be riding.

If he's still able to spin, maybe something styling in an all-rounder type of frame, or even an older road frame -- something old/old-schoolish enough to have clearance for 27c tires but young enough to have 130 spacing in the back. If it takes a threaded steerer, that's one way to get the bars a little higher, if he needs it these days, without all the spacers.

In the new realm, but stock off the floor, maybe something like a Bianchi Volpe if he can get a comfortable position on one, and maybe fitted with good 27c road tires rather than the stock cross(ish) tires.

For even more comfort-oriented, there are various kinds of town/city bikes that look kinda styling out now -- also ways to make such a thing from a road, touring, or cross frame.

staggerwing
05-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Is there a shop where you can rent, or borrow, a couple of different rigs to see what might work best for his situation and inclinations? Perhaps with the costs of such credited to purchase?

shovelhd
05-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Surprises are nice, but I have found that the older you get, the less they mean to me. I think he would have a lot more fun doing this project with you rather than be presented with the finished product.

Talk to him.

fvracer72
05-07-2013, 08:33 AM
this is a tough one without knowing the man......But I would put him on something that would remind him of the old days......however, I do know some older riders who couldn't care less about old bikes and would rather have something more modern

colod
05-07-2013, 08:44 AM
All good ideas and good questions. I think at this point I'd be looking for something pretty upright, and with flat bars or maybe bullhorns or something. I think the basic position on a mountain bike is fairly comfortable to him right now, but a cross frame with 27s or the like might make a lot of sense.

And he still has his old Allegro if (when) he truly gets back into it, so I don't need to go full retro for this.

charliedid
05-07-2013, 09:02 AM
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_5_fx

Nice riding rig and plenty of "roadies" we know young and old like em.

Steve in SLO
05-07-2013, 09:02 AM
The idea of a nice classic steel frame with Campy is a nice one. What about a Ti frame with a Campy flat bar set up? It's lighter than steel, usually classy looking, and can be given variable levels of panache using colored components.

SpokeValley
05-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Surprises are nice, but I have found that the older you get, the less they mean to me. I think he would have a lot more fun doing this project with you rather than be presented with the finished product.

Talk to him.

Totally agree! Collaborate with your Dad on a cool project...a lifetime of memories. Be sure to document it with lots of pix. Then, take your favorite one with the both of you working on it, or maybe the finished project, or on your first ride together, frame it and give it to him at an appropriate time.

Ralph
05-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I guess it depends on what he wants and the kind of riding he will do but.....

I'll be 72 next week, and I ride wih a bunch of guys mostly in their 50, 60, and 70's, (one in 80's who still does centuries), and since we can ride a lot, all we want to actually, most of us are riding as good or better than 20-25 years ago when we had jobs and familes that had our attention. Our typical 4-5 times a week mid 40 mile ride, fairly flat with some rolling hills, and we spend a lot of time over 20 MPH. Lots of younger guys joining us occasionally, who don't ride as much as we do, and they can't keep up.

And BTW....we ride modern bikes.... 9, 10, and 11 speed bikes. I do ride a steel bike with modern Campy parts. Classic look fine as long as it doesn't slow you down. So get the "old man" a nice bike....if that is what he can use.

metalheart
05-07-2013, 09:57 AM
I am a year short of 70 and enjoy my Holland exogrid, but I agree with Downtube that a nice modern steel bike would be nice from one of the fine builders who know steel .... Della Santa would be very nice!

MattTuck
05-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I wish my dad biked... would be fun to ride with him. Oh well.

Something like the Surly Long Haul Trucker might be good.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker

sc53
05-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Black Mountain Cycles (Point Reyes, CA) makes a road and a monster cross frame that you could put fat tires and parts on and turn into a super all-rounder! See all the recent threads on these frames/built up bikes in the Production Bikes gallery here.

Ralph
05-07-2013, 11:37 AM
I wish my dad biked... would be fun to ride with him. Oh well.

Something like the Surly Long Haul Trucker might be good.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker

I enjoy riding with my sons. They can kick my butt.....but usually don't let me know that.

Doug Fattic
05-07-2013, 12:01 PM
As a custom bike builder, I'd recommend a typical road frame (that he is already used to) but with higher handlebars closer to his seat height. In other words having the bars even or maybe drop a cm or two rather than the 5 to 10 he had when he was younger. Of course this means getting as big a frame as he can straddle or an upright stem. The tops of a drop bar aren't in that much of a different position than a MTB bike. He just has the advantage of more hand positions. As a matter of fact if I am on an upright bike (like a Dutch style) I prefer M shaped handlebars that sweep back. I find this type of bicycle great for errands but also for a quick 10 or 15 minutes of fresh air without the need to change shoes, etc. I wouldn't want to be without either a standard road bike or my Dutch (even though I made it) grocery getter.

redir
05-07-2013, 12:52 PM
If he has his old race bike and isn't riding it then a) he doesn't like the race bike style or b) he's not interested in riding a bike.

Assuming you know he interested in riding then one of the cross/hybrid bikes would probably be good. My dad is about the same age and a few years back we were talking about bikes and he hinted that he might want one since it's good for his (now replaced) knee. But he said he didn't want any thing fancy and with all those "geahs" </Rhode Island Accent>

So I built him up a single speed Schwinn painted all black with beach cruiser type handle bars. A real nice easy gear to ride and to walk up any hills he doesn't want to pedal.

IOW find out what he wants.

jr59
05-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Talk to him.

Totally agree! Collaborate with your Dad on a cool project...a lifetime of memories. Be sure to document it with lots of pix. Then, take your favorite one with the both of you working on it, or maybe the finished project, or on your first ride together, frame it and give it to him at an appropriate time.

These 2 ideas knock it out of the park.
Or you could frame up the lesser pics around the best and then give it to him.

This idea really rocks!

esldude
05-07-2013, 01:05 PM
I agree about the surprises meaning less as you get older. And support the idea of making it project you collaborate on him with. You very likely can get him something better and more to his liking than what he has. You are very unlikely to get him something as much to his liking as getting him involved.

I also don't get the flat bar thing. More upright yes. More comfortable yes.

My suggestion would be a 650B build on a good frame with taller headtube. That should still feel pretty spiffy, sporty and efficient. It would be cool. It would have a pretty comfortable ride with 38mm tires on it.

If you search a bit, there is info on 650B conversion using a Trek Pilot 2.1 frame. Pilots were slightly shorter top tube, taller head tube, slightly more upright posture frames. Sounds like what you need. And they convert very easily to 650B. Recently they were selling some NOS frames quite inexpensively (not sure if that is still available).

Here is a page on the easy conversion.
http://www.bikeman.com/bikeman-blogs/650blog/1773-2007-trek-pilot-21-650b-conversion

Louis
05-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Here is a page on the easy conversion.
http://www.bikeman.com/bikeman-blogs/650blog/1773-2007-trek-pilot-21-650b-conversion

Those look pretty cool.

Tom Matchak
05-07-2013, 03:33 PM
My suggestion would be a 650B build on a good frame with taller headtube. That should still feel pretty spiffy, sporty and efficient. It would be cool. It would have a pretty comfortable ride with 38mm tires on it.

As described, in a configuration that can make more sense the older one gets.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/34156114@N05/

If the step-through design is a sticking point, just think of it as a compact frame.

etu
05-07-2013, 08:00 PM
if he's going to ride it for short distances and at casual pace, i would recommend an albatross (swept back) bars rather than flat bars. way more comfortable IMO.

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/hb2.htm

Daveyk
05-07-2013, 08:13 PM
A mixte is what I will want in a few years. Easy on/off.

I love the idea of building it with him to share the experience.

colod
05-07-2013, 09:59 PM
These are great insights and ideas. Plenty to think about. Here are some things I think I think right now.
1. I need to hide the fact that it is an Old Man Bike a little bit - can't be too obvious about it.
2. He had hanging in the garage the old racer Allegro and the squishy, inefficient, full suspension knobby and chose the latter, even for cruising on the roads, so another straight road bike wouldn't seem to make sense, as was pointed out.
3. Like the idea of albatross bars, I think.
4. Also like the idea of building it up together, but if I just go to him with the idea I think he'd demure. I need to at least have a start - a frame or at least a basic plan of where it would go.
5. 650B is intriguing. Want to look into it more. I think the range of frames it would work with might be too limited.
6. I am not quite sure enough that he'll really go for it to spend for a custom frame, though I'd love to do it.
7. It mainly would be a road bike, but I think it should be able to handle gravel trails with a little up and down (so he can spin with his 8-year old granddaughter). Suspension's not necessary, but big tires and stability probably are.

Not quite sure where that leaves me, but am enjoying all your thoughts.

colod
05-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Problem solved:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-CX-50-Bicycle-26-MTB-FREE-SHIP-USA-Small-/251149254317?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item3a79a97ead

"The CX 50 is characterized by an exclusive design and a rich equipment of accessories to guarantee maximum comfort."

An exclusive design and a rich equipment of accessories to guarantee maximum comfort is exactly what I've been trying to say I want here!
Kidding.

palincss
05-08-2013, 08:54 AM
5. 650B is intriguing. Want to look into it more. I think the range of frames it would work with might be too limited.

snip

7. It mainly would be a road bike, but I think it should be able to handle gravel trails with a little up and down (so he can spin with his 8-year old granddaughter). Suspension's not necessary, but big tires and stability probably are.

Most frames fit into the range of low 50cm to low 60cm. There is a lower limit to how small a frame you can fit a 650B wheel with a 38-42mm tire into, but they'll certainly fit in a frame in the low 50s. There's no upper limit. A 60cm frame with a 650B wheel, a 42mm tire and fenders looks perfectly normal. This is a 63 cm frame:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8432994955_2638e3097d_z.jpg

Tires like these are fast on the road, love gravel and cracked and alligatored pavement, and provide all the suspension a road bike needs.

redir
05-08-2013, 09:05 AM
^ Classy.

charliedid
05-08-2013, 11:10 AM
I sure hope the vast majority of you don't sell bikes for a living. :) Most responses are based on what YOU think he should ride, not what the OP is ASKING for.

Could the OP be more specific regarding the aesthetics you are after?

colod
05-08-2013, 05:13 PM
OP here. I have to admit that this was really just tossing things open to see what ideas others have, so I don't mind the wide range of interesting takes. It has helped me refine my thinking a bit. A true commuter isn't necessary, as he won't likely be riding in the rain or hauling lots of cargo. It does need to be able to handle wider tires, for comfort and for the occasional spin on the gravel trails, has to be more comfortable than a traditional road bike, but should probably be fairly traditional looking. And does need gearing.

A relaxed cyclocross-style bike is what popped to mind at first, but I haven't found one that's right yet. I also came across a Redline Metro Classic (http://www.ebay.com/itm/230976912033?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648) that seems fairly nice (though the disk brakes strike me as rather unnecessary).

And then there's a Cinelli (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinelli-Gazzetta-Della-Strada-complete-bike-Grigio-57cm-/200914162929?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item2ec76ad4f1)that is probably too commuter-focused, but is still a Cinelli.

Neither is perfect, but I do like them both, as far as new stuff goes. A classic frame that could be set up to work for us would be great and would let us work on the project together, as has been mentioned. Not sure my 8 and 4 year olds are going to leave us much time for tinkering (riding is hard enough) but it's a great idea.

Anyway, I'm still listening, and looking. Thanks for the ideas.

colod
05-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Trying to figure out if taking this and trying to turn it into what he'd like makes sense:
http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/3790749255.html

Louis
05-09-2013, 03:05 AM
Trying to figure out if taking this and trying to turn it into what he'd like makes sense

Where would he be doing most of his riding? If on improved (paved) roads or non-horrible gravel I would say that's not the bike for him.

charliedid
05-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Trying to figure out if taking this and trying to turn it into what he'd like makes sense:
http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/3790749255.html

Maybe.

So it does seem even after posting the links to the Redline and the Cinelli that you are leaning t'wards a flat bar bike???

I forget if you said this was a gift or not...can you ask him (does he care as much as you?) and or take him to a good bike shop and see if anything comes from it?

That Trek 7.5FX may not have the look you are after (whatever that is, honestly) but it does tic off the boxes and it a nice riding bike.

Anyway good luck.

Nice of you to spend time on this for your father regardless of what bike.

Frankwurst
05-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Something like this maybe? Roads, gravel, w/fenders rain as well. Comfy too.

pjmsj21
05-09-2013, 01:06 PM
You might want to consider a Gunnar Sport. It is moderately priced, high quality, comfy ride but doesn't look like an old man's bike.

At 63 I have had one for about 8 years and while I now have a Serotta, I have to say that I am finding myself riding my Gunnar more this year than the Serotta. Opt for the nice steel fork and it will look classy but not out of date. Gunnar's upcharge for custom is modest as well not to mention you can select from the color of the month for no extra charge as I recall.

I happened to have seen a Sport in River City Bikes in Portland yesterday decked out in hammered fenders and a brooks saddle and it really looked nice!

Pat Mc