PDA

View Full Version : Which Campy Crank Is This?

CDollarsign
05-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Hey, does anyone know the series and vintages of this crank?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7O33hhk2FMI/UYhm6bvCumI/AAAAAAAAAMU/DBj36o5AhzA/w553-h413/Campagnolo+cranks+-+1

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-meIl0sxlQHk/UYhm6S6h2pI/AAAAAAAAAMM/le4R73jmDJA/w553-h413/Campagnolo+cranks+-+2

bfd
05-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Hey, does anyone know the series and vintages of this crank?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7O33hhk2FMI/UYhm6bvCumI/AAAAAAAAAMU/DBj36o5AhzA/w553-h413/Campagnolo+cranks+-+1

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-meIl0sxlQHk/UYhm6S6h2pI/AAAAAAAAAMM/le4R73jmDJA/w553-h413/Campagnolo+cranks+-+2

Looks like a Croce d'Aune crank from the late 80s to early 90s

http://campagnolo.wikispaces.com/file/view/Cranks,_Croce_D_aune_1988.png/30230395/Cranks,_Croce_D_aune_1988.png

zmudshark
05-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Possibly Chorus, but either Croce or Chorus. One key release is the give away.

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=37989B65-B429-4F34-BC5B-19D3A4169832&Enum=115&AbsPos=26

http://www.velobase.com/CompImages/Crankset/9C982B7F-ECC9-4261-8BB3-F5267FE56C67.jpeg

fogrider
05-06-2013, 10:20 PM
yeap, as bfd said, its a croce d' aune...I think it was only made for a couple of years.

CDollarsign
05-06-2013, 10:26 PM
The rings don't look original. Would they work with an 8 speed group?

nighthawk
05-06-2013, 10:31 PM
I have the same exact crank. The "93" on the crank arm is the year of production, isn't it? With that date, and the self-extracting crank bolts, like Zmud said, makes this Chorus. Seems like the lines between Chorus, Croce, and Athena was blurry around this time. Probably some shared components between the groups.

nighthawk
05-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Chorus Group:

nighthawk
05-06-2013, 10:54 PM
The Athena Group from 1993 (notice the thinner spider arms, and the dustcap instead of selfextracting bolt):

oldpotatoe
05-07-2013, 07:22 AM
The Athena Group from 1993 (notice the thinner spider arms, and the dustcap instead of selfextracting bolt):

Also the raised area around the crank bolt-Athena

bfd
05-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Also the raised area around the crank bolt-Athena

But if you look at the raised arms on the spider and the way it curves, it sort of looks like C-Record. The arms on the spider are flatter on the Athena. Therefore, it appears that the crank is either Croce d'Aune (C'DA), if the crank is from the late 80s, or Chorus if the crank is from the 90s.

From what I recall, C-Record came out around 1985/86 as Campy's top group. The second group was called C'DA followed by Victory. Then around the early 90s, C'DA went away and replaced by Chorus and still followed by Athena, which eventually evolved into Daytona. I'm not that familar with Campy markings, but if the 93 is the year, then it makes sense that this crank is probably Chorus. If the crank is from the late 80s, then its probably C'DA. Good Luck!:confused::eek::butt::rolleyes:

nighthawk
05-07-2013, 12:45 PM
But if you look at the raised arms on the spider and the way it curves, it sort of looks like C-Record. The arms on the spider are flatter on the Athena. Therefore, it appears that the crank is either Croce d'Aune (C'DA), if the crank is from the late 80s, or Chorus if the crank is from the 90s.

From what I recall, C-Record came out around 1985/86 as Campy's top group. The second group was called C'DA followed by Victory. Then around the early 90s, C'DA went away and replaced by Chorus and still followed by Athena, which eventually evolved into Daytona. I'm not that familar with Campy markings, but if the 93 is the year, then it makes sense that this crank is probably Chorus. If the crank is from the late 80s, then its probably C'DA. Good Luck!:confused::eek::butt::rolleyes:

In '91 Record, Croce, Chorus, AND Athena were all available. 1992 Croce was no longer available.

Looking at old catalogs: Chorus and Croce introduced together in 1988/89, Athena in 88/89. Croce went away in '92.

CDollarsign
05-07-2013, 12:54 PM
I think if the 93 correlates to build year then it's most positively Chorus...

nighthawk
05-07-2013, 01:45 PM
I think if the 93 correlates to build year then it's most positively Chorus...

I'm not positive about that... and I'm beginning to think it isn't the case (that the '93 is the production year).

If you look at the '91 catalogs, the '91 Croce group is listed as containing Record and Chorus components... and the '91 Croce crank looks like the '91 Athena and '92-'93 Chorus cranks. The '91 Chorus cranks look like '92-'93 Athena.

Regardless... the real point of the matter is that it's the SAME f'n crank that Campy just kept putting under a different group. They probably had no idea how stressful this would be for us nerds.

titans
05-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Campy came out with what they called the Century Finish C Record Group which had a light grayish/bluish finish which this crank spider seems to have. The rings were not Century finished. Not sure if they extended it down to their lower groups but I bought the Century finish C Record Group with Delta brakes when Styvesant Bikes in NYC was still in business but barely. Group was a beauty to look at...setting it up was another story...

zmudshark
05-07-2013, 03:27 PM
The 93 in a square is the date code.

From Jon Fischer's Velobase link, which I posted above:

Probably a hand-me-down from the discontinued Croce D'Aune group of 1991. Often confused with the D'Aune for this reason, as well as the Athena crank of the late 80's and early 90's (Athena does not have the integrated crank bolts). Oddly enough, the Athena crank inherited what appears to be the previous generation Chorus crank in 92, further confusing the mix. This version of the Chorus crankset did include an incorporated extractor as seen in the photos.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2013, 07:20 AM

Interesting in that when C-Record AND CDA came out, CDA was Campagnolo's answer to shimano's 'click shifting'. Valentino went on record(altho i know not where that 'record' is) that racers and 'true enthusiasts' would continue to use friction shifters(including a big barrel 8s friction shifter for the slant paralleogram RD) and those 'others' would opt for the CDA..Well, history shows us CDA/A-B Chorus/Athena first gen didn't work worth a damn, friction shifting was NOT gonna hack it for racers and enthusiasts(don't think any pro team used CDA) andf until Campagnolo figured out index shifting(which they did about 1989-1991) they were gonna be in trouble(which they were, after their foray into MTB groups, another 'mis-step by Valentino).

When Campagnolo ERGO finally came to be, Campagnolo sales doubled, then doubled again in the early 90s.