PDA

View Full Version : Help - Luddite Mtn Bike Wheelset

IFRider
05-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Well,

Much to my dismay, nobody focuses on quality 26" MTN bike wheels for rim brakes. I am looking for feedback on a decent set of wheels for my '98 IF Deluxe Rigid. Any sources for a decent set of wheels for serious recreational riding is appreciated (would love to find a NOS set of something built around Chris King or DT or White Bros).

Thanks,

Warren

christian
05-06-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm confused. This seems really easy - lace a set of whatever hubs you want (XT, King) to whatever rims you want (DT XR425 or Mavic XM317 or whatever) using DT Comps and brass nipples, or whatever else you prefer.

I mean, the "wheels out of box" options may be limited, but for handbuilts, seems like an easy job.

BTW, I had rim-brake Crossmax/Crossmax XLs on my last bike. I'd have preferred handbuilts.

fourflys
05-06-2013, 04:54 PM
give Ergott a shout, I bet he can build you something... and as Christian said, will probably be a heck of a lot better than anything pre-made...

BTW- I'm interested in what you find as I'll be in the same boat when I build up my Ibis Mojo from the 90's...

mvrider
05-06-2013, 06:08 PM
If value is the focus, how about Handspun? They have rim-braked wheelsets using Deore XT hubs (scroll down a little):
http://handspunwheels.com/products/#mtn_26_-_trail

echelon_john
05-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Get some little-used or new XT or XTR hubs, find some NOS Bontrager Mustang rims (OC rear) and have somebody who knows what they're doing build them up 3x with decent spokes and brass nipples.

Like so:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-XTR-Rear-Hub-32-hole-9-speed-QR-FH-M950-Rim-brake-non-disc-/171032945361?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d25ba2d1

Cat3roadracer
05-06-2013, 07:39 PM
eBay, loads of them. Cheap too.

hokoman
05-06-2013, 07:46 PM
I sold my new king mavic 517's for a song.... If you go custom, buy disc hubs for versatility in the future...

gdw
05-06-2013, 07:52 PM
+1 on m950 XTR hubs and a local build. The m950's are bombproof and can be found on Ebay and Craigslist. XT hubs are also excellent, less expensive, and easier to find.

Cambria Bikes is selling NOS Bontrager Mustang rims for $16.00. Give them a call, don't order over the internet, to make sure that they are still available.

dustyrider
05-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I've ridden these (http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Shimano/Shimano-M590-Rhyno-Lite-Wheelset.axd?gclid=CIjUqrLlgrcCFbNzMgod5i0A6g) wheels for years and years.
The Deore disc version would also be an affordable "long view" option....

Gummee
05-06-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm still riding my Cross-somethingoranother rear wheel. Steel spokes, not AL. Only reason I'm not riding my cross-somethingoranother front wheel is I got a Fox fork for free that didn't have any canti bosses.

I have an LX rear hub that's been in one wheel and a pair of 517 (717?) rims that I got brand new I can make you a deal on. I don't think the rims match, but the price'll be right.

I'm using my XTR stuff on my cross bike so you can't have it.

M

joosttx
05-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Dave Thomas of Speeddreams makes some awesome 26 MTB wheels. I have a set of Stan's rims and WI hubs- supple and bomb proof. He's about as old school as they come and about the best wheel builder I have ever encountered, so he may have some NOS inventory you are looking for.

oldpotatoe
05-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Well,

Much to my dismay, nobody focuses on quality 26" MTN bike wheels for rim brakes. I am looking for feedback on a decent set of wheels for my '98 IF Deluxe Rigid. Any sources for a decent set of wheels for serious recreational riding is appreciated (would love to find a NOS set of something built around Chris King or DT or White Bros).

Thanks,

Warren

Got a wheelbuilder around who can design and build you a set specifically for you and your needs??

XT hubs(non disc, with a cover on the CTRlock), Velocity, mavic(yes they still have non disc rims)...DT spokes...and bob's yer uncle.

Or the few wheelbuilders that frequent this very forum.

IFRider
05-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Yes, I realize I could find a local wheel builder (Peter White Cycles and Justin are a few of the local) and build a nice set of wheels. I would love nothing more than a bit of buzz from a set of Chris Kings but the budget does not permit at this time. It used to be there were good deals on pre-built (normal 32 spoke wheels) for v-brakes but I realize all the focus on disk and thru-axle stuff and 29/650b is where most online retail is focused. I will keep an eye out in the classified for a chi-chi set while I ride the last life out of the current set.

Thanks again ...

Warren

jh_on_the_cape
05-07-2013, 08:37 AM
I have found that wheelsets with king hubs cost less than just hubs when you go second hand.
King hubs last a long time, so look for a deal on a wheelset. You can ride it or just ask the seller to cut out the hub and send it. Makes shipping easier.

very few buyers of high end 26 nondisc wheelsets.

texbike
05-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Yes, I realize I could find a local wheel builder (Peter White Cycles and Justin are a few of the local) and build a nice set of wheels. I would love nothing more than a bit of buzz from a set of Chris Kings but the budget does not permit at this time. It used to be there were good deals on pre-built (normal 32 spoke wheels) for v-brakes but I realize all the focus on disk and thru-axle stuff and 29/650b is where most online retail is focused. I will keep an eye out in the classified for a chi-chi set while I ride the last life out of the current set.

Thanks again ...

Warren

If budget is an issue, keep an eye on Craigslist. Lightly used, 26" rim brake wheelsets (and bikes for that matter) are ridiculously cheap. They're sooo old school and useless. :)

Texbike