PDA

View Full Version : Homeland Security targets Chinarellos?

torquer
05-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Or at least the threat of counterfeit Speciallized jerseys!
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/05/03/homeland-security-seizes-multiple-cycling-websites-selling-fraudulent-goods/
The comments strike a familiar chord: Screw the big S, versus save our LBSs. I got no dog in this fight, but that don't mean its not an interesting mud-tussle.

Steve in SLO
05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
I applaud the government's efforts to eliminate counterfeit imports to our country, but homeland security seems a strange agency to be taking the lead.

Steve in SLO
05-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Another thought: since in some cases both the counterfeit and genuine
articles are made in China, if China wanted to protect its image as a first-rate commerce partner and producer of goods, it would take the lead in eliminating the counterfeiters. This is unlikely to occur unless there is a lot of external pressure placed on the Chinese, since the counterfeiters are probably making them loads of money.

Lewis Moon
05-06-2013, 11:59 AM
articles are made in China, if China wanted to protect its image as a first-rate commerce partner and producer of goods, it would take the lead in eliminating the counterfeiters. This is unlikely to occur unless there is a lot of external pressure placed on the Chinese, since the counterfeiters are probably making them loads of money.

Asked and answered. One addition: endemic coruption.

tiretrax
05-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Homeland Security contains INS, Customs, and the Border Patrol.

bigreen505
05-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Customs is under DHS now.

MattTuck
05-06-2013, 02:19 PM
I saw a wonderful Pinarello this weekend. Probably mid 80's vintage, lugged frrame with some beautiful chrome. Started talking to the rider about it a bit as rode. amazing looking bike.

It was only after we parted ways that I thought, "hey, no one is ever going to call THAT bike a Chinarello"

Andrewlcox
05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
I watched a DVD the other night that had DHS warnings at the beginning. I thought to myself, what does this DVD have to do with Homeland Security?

torquer
05-06-2013, 02:37 PM
It used to be an FBI warning, wasn't it?
Has IP enforcement been totally "outsourced," maybe because 99% of the offenders are offshore?

torquer
05-06-2013, 03:04 PM
It was only after we parted ways that I thought, "hey, no one is ever going to call THAT bike a Chinarello"
I'm no Carnac the Magnificent* , but I predict this will be my next bike:
http://www.ciclipinarello.com/images/catena_583_big.jpg
It'll replace a made-in-China Fuji track bike, but I have no idea where its brazed. And I don't care all that much.

*Google Johnny Carson for the reference; my favorite joke:
Answer: "9W"
Question: "Do you spell your name with a V, Richard Wagner?"

rice rocket
05-06-2013, 04:30 PM
My LBS has one of these on the floor.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4103/5027610821_5d6b5a479f_z.jpg

Ahneida Ride
05-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Now I know why DHS has been buying up all that ammo.

grndskpr
05-07-2013, 07:48 AM

If they dont regulate whats within there own border, why would they regulate what gets shipped out. There concern is money and making more of it, not the protection of intellectual property. Its why some high end manufacturers are returning to the US.

joosttx
05-07-2013, 08:02 AM

In my industry China is doing a better job. They can only do so much. Since trademark and trade dress law differs among countries it's really the role of the country receiving the goods to stop it from entering at port. It's the role of the company to alert ICE to the violations.