PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Campy Record rear hub freehub bearing replacement

Beebohs
05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Camyphiles/Mechanics:
Can anyone shed any light on an issue I am having. My 2003 Record rear hub chews up the outer freehub bearing (6803) about once a year. It's not a huge deal to replace (as I've done it 3 times now) but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea WHY? The same bearing on the inboard side has never need to be replaced, nor have the axle bearings - all still smooth.

The bearing retainer, first, then the balls literally get ground up. Pop out what's let of the bearing and push another in and good to go, but only for about a year. Needed to do this the last 3 years, but never before on these 10 year old hubs. They been built up onto 3-4 different sets of rims over the years (currently on Stan's ZTR Alpha 400)

Also any suggestions on possible use of ceramic bearings? Where to get them? will they hold up better.

Thanks

oldpotatoe
05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Camyphiles/Mechanics:
Can anyone shed any light on an issue I am having. My 2003 Record rear hub chews up the outer freehub bearing (6803) about once a year. It's not a huge deal to replace (as I've done it 3 times now) but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea WHY? The same bearing on the inboard side has never need to be replaced, nor have the axle bearings - all still smooth.

The bearing retainer, first, then the balls literally get ground up. Pop out what's let of the bearing and push another in and good to go, but only for about a year. Needed to do this the last 3 years, but never before on these 10 year old hubs. They been built up onto 3-4 different sets of rims over the years (currently on Stan's ZTR Alpha 400)

Also any suggestions on possible use of ceramic bearings? Where to get them? will they hold up better.

Thanks

I change a fair number of these but all I can think of is perhaps your dropouts aren't parallel and putting some sort of side load on that bearing.

Ceramic bearings are one of the biggest hypes ever foisted onto the cycling public..

Don't waste your $.

Jaq
05-06-2013, 07:45 PM
I change a fair number of these but all I can think of is perhaps your dropouts aren't parallel and putting some sort of side load on that bearing.

Ceramic bearings are one of the biggest hypes ever foisted onto the cycling public..

Don't waste your $$$$$.

fify

oldpotatoe
05-07-2013, 07:36 AM
fify

?? fify??

zmudshark
05-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Fixed It For You. fify

oldpotatoe
05-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Fixed It For You. fify

Got it...

Beebohs
05-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the responses. This has happened with a C50 Colnago (now retired frame) and now a M10. The C50's drop outs MAY have been misaligned, but no way to find out now.
With a slightly bent axle is it possible to ONLY affect one bearing and not notice anything else. For example not rolling smoothly or spinning easily on the stand?
Lastly, I've been using "homemade" lube (4-5 pts mineral spirits to 1 pt oil) for the past 4+ years. I wonder if that might have contributed to corroding retainers?

Ralph
05-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the responses. This has happened with a C50 Colnago (now retired frame) and now a M10. The C50's drop outs MAY have been misaligned, but no way to find out now.
With a slightly bent axle is it possible to ONLY affect one bearing and not notice anything else. For example not rolling smoothly or spinning easily on the stand?
Lastly, I've been using "homemade" lube (4-5 pts mineral spirits to 1 pt oil) for the past 4+ years. I wonder if that might have contributed to corroding retainers?

For a bearing that needs grease, you are thinning down oil 4-5-1 to one with mineral spirits? That's like using water.

Beebohs
05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Sorry, should have been more clear: I'm using that on my chain only, every couple of rides, not inside the hub. I was wondering IF that lube could be getting into the hub somehow and affecting the outer free hub bearing

Ralph
05-09-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm one of few who uses straight 30-40 wt oil on my chains. Wipe them down, ride a little, wipe them down again, ride again...wipe them down again, etc. Wipe off all I can. Never found anything better than oil for my chain use (or cheaper). My chains last a long long time. Clean in my parts washer, then lube with oil is what I do. Oil does pick up a lot of dust and sand, if you ride in those conditions, that is drawback. So I wipe a lot. Our roads are about as clean as you will find anywhere....but some sand does blow around. My chain lube method won't work on sandy Colorado roads in spring probably....as an example.

Can't imagine adding a solvent like mineral spirits to oil (though I know some do).....unless mountain biking....then why not just use WD 40 every ride. Imagine solvent would eventually destroy a hub bearing if it got in there. Maybe you've got it figured out.