PDA

View Full Version : a new bike in the house

AngryScientist
05-06-2013, 09:16 AM
speed machine.

really fun to watch someone genuinely have fun on a bike too. being totally carefree about falling down, or scratching a new paint job. too cool.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lBYpO3gJ4TE/UYe6aMI3GGI/AAAAAAAABKs/jfQq-8EeBUU/s640/IMG_0811.JPG

jmoore
05-06-2013, 09:19 AM
those are the best new bikes!

Aaron O
05-06-2013, 09:37 AM
My niece had one and she's now riding a bicycle...at three and a half. I think I was 7 when I learned.

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2013, 09:43 AM
For some reason my kids never liked them. They rode the mess out of their stand-up scooter, son is three and still does, but never liked this.

I know some kids really do and I think it is good you get to enjoy it.

tiretrax
05-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Very cool. Enjoy these years. Before you know it, they won't want to hang with ou and will be asking for your car keys.

killacks
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM
my daughter, now 2.5, enjoys hers.

She tends to get a little obsessed with watching her fast-moving feet glide over the ground as she gains speed, though. I'm trying to figure out ways to encourage her to focus her eyes on the road ahead.

texbike
05-06-2013, 10:08 AM
My kids both learned on a Skuut. It worked great. Both kids were on regular pedal bikes without training wheels by 5.

My daughter recently picked out her first bike that wasn't a "hand me down" from a friend or neighbor. She loves it! She rides it as fast as she can, jumps off every possible curb, and is learning to do bike tricks like standing on the seat/top tube, riding side saddle, etc. It's fun to watch.

Texbike

dyerwolf
05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Nice bike! My two kids use the wooden (bubbalicious) balance bikes. They're great for development and enforcing stong rider skills. The plan is for them to go from tricle>balance bike> bike> in one smoothy arc and skipping training wheel stage!

bikerboy337
05-06-2013, 10:15 AM
balance bikes are so much fun... my son was on his around 2.5, and riding a big boy bike without training wheels at 3.5... now we're doing trips to the MUT and a little offroad riding while we're at it... and yes, to not care about crashing, messing up the paint, denting the bike, I wish I could manage that...

Andrewlcox
05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
What's the TT c-t-c? Oh wait, there isn't one.

My daughter who just turned one already has a wooden balance bike that she probably won't use for another year or two.

Nooch
05-06-2013, 10:29 AM
while cool, i was totally hoping for something else to be here :) :banana:

enr1co
05-06-2013, 10:37 AM
The "skoot" learning concept for kids learning to ride is great- definitely provides them balance, feel much more effectively than training wheels.

Aaron O
05-06-2013, 10:45 AM
I can't believe kids are riding so early - these things must work well! I don't think I ever used training wheels...but i wasn't riding as early as some others judging from this thread.

When is "normal" for learning to ride a bike?

bikerboy337
05-06-2013, 10:57 AM
In my neighborhood, the kids that started on balance bikes at around 2-3 years old, were all riding bikes, no training wheels by 4... we never used the training wheels on the bikes, just went straight from balance bikes to pedal bike... definately way younger than I was when I started riding (maybe 7ish)

wooly
05-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Is that a Rolls saddle?! :)

texbike
05-06-2013, 11:09 AM
When is "normal" for learning to ride a bike?

I was 5 when I learned to ride without training wheels (no balance bikes then...). For the first couple of weeks I couldn't start myself and would knock on neighbors' doors down the street for a push to get back home. :bike:

Texbike

KidWok
05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
I made the mistake of showing my boy too many Danny McAskill videos when he was a toddler. Gave him his balance bike two months before he turned two and the first thing he did was walk it over to the coffee table and try to jump up. Those things are great...he was lifting up his feet and coasting after two trips out. He's turning five next week and already asking me when I'm going to build him a road bike...time sure flies.

Tai

vqdriver
05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
yeah, the concept of focusing on the balance point is key and from what i've seen our kids are learning far earlier than my generation did. my kids found their balance at about 3 1/2. if i wasn't so cheap they'd both be on pedal bikes by now but only the older one is. i'm waiting for the younger one's birthday for a new bike. the effectiveness of these scoot type bikes have made their useful life very short, tho they love love love to ride it's not a big deal to wait.

christian
05-06-2013, 12:36 PM
In my neighborhood, the kids that started on balance bikes at around 2-3 years old, were all riding bikes, no training wheels by 4...This is our experience too. My son was on the balance bike at 3 and riding a pedal bike well at 4. Now he's on his bike all the time.

The neighbors' oldest, at 6, is just taking the first tentative steps on a bicycle. Much tougher.

(BTW, Nick, surprised you of all people didn't spring for the Kokua Jumper!)

SpokeValley
05-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Great color!

Can we get some component specs and a ride report;)

Aaron O
05-06-2013, 12:57 PM
I was 5 when I learned to ride without training wheels (no balance bikes then...). For the first couple of weeks I couldn't start myself and would knock on neighbors' doors down the street for a push to get back home. :bike:

Texbike

I must have been a slow learner!

TPetsch
05-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Looks Fast! :)

MattTuck
05-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Great color!

Can we get some component specs and a ride report;)

Joe Bell really is the best in the business.

bikerboy337
05-06-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm a little scared as my daughter (19 months old) now goes to my sons old balance bike, says "bike" and "helmet" in her mumbling 19 month old voice, and tries to ride the balance bike... this, and she isn't walking all that well yet... she's at least 3-4 month away from being able to try it, but she's persistent, so she may be riding that thing before she's 2... crazy...

This is our experience too. My son was on the balance bike at 3 and riding a pedal bike well at 4. Now he's on his bike all the time.

The neighbors' oldest, at 6, is just taking the first tentative steps on a bicycle. Much tougher.

(BTW, Nick, surprised you of all people didn't spring for the Kokua Jumper!)

Aaron O
05-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Joe Bell really is the best in the business.

I'm not sure...I'm looking at a paint job from Fresh Frame in Ephrata, and it's probably the nicest I've seen.

oldpotatoe
05-07-2013, 07:57 AM
speed machine.

really fun to watch someone genuinely have fun on a bike too. being totally carefree about falling down, or scratching a new paint job. too cool.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lBYpO3gJ4TE/UYe6aMI3GGI/AAAAAAAABKs/jfQq-8EeBUU/s640/IMG_0811.JPG

Just got one for my grand daughter's second birthday..whoever thought of these is a genius.

christian
05-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Baron von Drais, you mean?

jh_on_the_cape
05-07-2013, 08:28 AM
We have the specialized hot walk. these are awesome.

start combing craigslist now for the next bike! I preload the next bike when I see one and have saved so much over new.

I feel that specialized has done a great job with the kids bikes.

I just paid $60 for a specialized hot rock 24 7 speed (380 new). It was 'rusty', just the chain and brake noodles. I put on one of my used 8 speed chains I had lying around that was still usable. Then I bought a new rear tire and replaced the rusty v brake noodles. A little tune up and wipe down and ready to rock.
Gave it as a birthday present to a friend's kid and they were soooo grateful.

christian
05-07-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm doing this now... just buying used as the opportunity comes up

I have a
- Kokua Jumper balance bike
- Specialized HotRock 12
- Blue Specialized HotRock 16
- Pink Specialized HotRock 16

For my 4.5 and 2.5 year-olds. My 2.5er is presently on the Jumper and my 4.5 year-old is on the blue HotRock 16.

If you buy used and sell used, you can keep your kids in bikes for absolutely no money - it's just cash flow - you can end up net positive! By that token, I've also separated bicycles from birthdays, etc. When my kids need a new bike, they'll get one.

Zanconato, Hampsten, or Pegoretti, though, they'll have to wait for birthday or Christmas! :)

AngryScientist
05-07-2013, 08:52 AM
agree. i bought the balance bike from a guy on craigslist new in the box for very short money.

cant see buying kids bikes new, the CL market around here is flooded with nicer kids stuff too, i'm sure i wont have a problem finding what is size appropriate when needed.

texbike
05-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Just got one for my grand daughter's second birthday..whoever thought of these is a genius.

Did you put Campagnolo and Vecchio's stickers on it? :)

agree. i bought the balance bike from a guy on craigslist new in the box for very short money.

cant see buying kids bikes new, the CL market around here is flooded with nicer kids stuff too, i'm sure i wont have a problem finding what is size appropriate when needed.

The "friends and family" recycling thing seems to work pretty well for us on the kid's bikes. We keep getting hand me downs and we in turn donate ours to the next younger group coming up. 6 kids have learned on our Skuut so far. We just got it back again last week. It's looking a little worn at this point, but it will be headed out to the next kid probably within a week.

Texbike