PDA

View Full Version : On bike nutrition (Gummy bear type snacks)

MattTuck
05-05-2013, 03:12 PM
So, I've used Clif Shot Blocks in the past (the Margarita flavor, because it is caffeine free) for long rides.

They are nice because they don't melt, and (for me) are more convenient than gels. Although the flavor isn't great, it isn't horrible.

I noticed that now Gatorade has something similar.

Is there any real advantage to these 'engineered' products? or is buying a package of Haribo gummy bears about the same?

http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_shot_bloks/

http://www.gatorade.com/default.aspx#gendurance?s=pro-carb-energy-chews

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-haribo-i74511

rice rocket
05-05-2013, 03:36 PM
I have some Honey Stinger Lemon-Lime gummy chews. They caffeinate with white tea them, which I like. I think Clif caffeinates some of theirs as well.

Is that doping? :eek:

Haribos are also corn syrup, while the Clifs are brown rice syrup, Honey Stingers are tapioca syrup and organic cane juice, if that matters to you.

MattTuck
05-05-2013, 05:01 PM
I have some Honey Stinger Lemon-Lime gummy chews. They caffeinate with white tea them, which I like. I think Clif caffeinates some of theirs as well.

Is that doping? :eek:

Haribos are also corn syrup, while the Clifs are brown rice syrup, Honey Stingers are tapioca syrup and organic cane juice, if that matters to you.

So far as I know, fructose is still frutose and sucrose is still sucrose, no matter the source plant. There may be some different adjuncts or other additives that go in... not really sure.

It's likely that the 'supplement' products have electrolytes or other 'performance' (as opposed to flavor) motivated ingredients.

Ralph
05-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Dr Mirkin says sugar during intense exercise is good, just avoid when not exercising. Doubt if form you get it in matters much.

http://intentblog.com/why-you-should-eat-sugar-during-prolonged-exercise/

regularguy412
05-05-2013, 06:04 PM
I've used these with good success. Easy on the stomach, not too sweet, and didn't melt in my pocket (on a VERY hot day) ,, tho I did keep them in the opened pouch and not just loose in my jersey pocket.

http://shop.powerbar.com/PowerBar-Energy-Blasts-Energy-Chews--Raspberry/p/PWR-130034&c=PowerBar@EnergyBlasts

MIke in AR:beer.

dustyrider
05-05-2013, 06:10 PM
I love me some gummies! And honey sticks!
The healthy alternative is to get your self a dehydrator, slice the fruit thick, and be patient.

Peter P.
05-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I buy the Welch's Fruit Snacks.

Problem with them is, they taste so good I eat them all at once.

I tried the Gatorade chews when they were on sale at the supermarket. Similar product but I think Welch's has the texture down pat.

Perfect theater food.

verticaldoug
05-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Fig Newtons instead of energy bars
and gummy bears in place of any clif drops etc.

I think if you google real research (as opposed to corporate sponsored) the whole electrolyte, salt stick, etc during exercise is pretty much hokum. Save your coin.

(just drink a little pickle juice before the ride will save on cramps)

rice rocket
05-05-2013, 06:53 PM
So far as I know, fructose is still frutose and sucrose is still sucrose, no matter the source plant. There may be some different adjuncts or other additives that go in... not really sure.

It's likely that the 'supplement' products have electrolytes or other 'performance' (as opposed to flavor) motivated ingredients.

Yeah, I don't know enough to speak intelligently about the subject. Any solid that's been converted to a syrup raises (my) eyebrows.

Louis
05-05-2013, 07:45 PM
I've used them a few times, but they're too close to candy for me.

Time < 1.5 hrs = water
1.5 <= T <= 2.5 = Cytomax (or similar)
T > 2.5 hrs = Cytomax (or similar) + Clif Bars

Ralph
05-05-2013, 08:08 PM
According to Dr Mirkin.....on a long ride where you have used up your reserves, and need some energy.....a coke and some sweet food (fig bar maybe) is about as good as anything. Caffein helps the stomach absorb the sugar about 25% faster. On longer 4-5 hr rides, have a bag of potatoe chips (salt) with your coke.

rain dogs
05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm not a nutritionist, but here goes.

Don't eat any of that junk unless you absolutely have to. When do you have to? 1. Only if you're racing and 2. only if it's in the last 45-60 minutes. Use gels or similar during that short period of time.

Other than those 2 times, eat normal food. Eat sandwiches (crust cut off, soft cheese, ham york). Eat fruit (bananas). Eat things you like (but not junk food).

All those sugars aren't good for your stomach or performance. You can do what you read in a magazine - junk. You can do what you see advertised - junk.

Or you can do what the pros do and have done for ages, and still do today - real food.

my 2 cents.

slidey
05-06-2013, 12:40 AM
I'm not a nutritionist either, but I follow this as well. Avoid junk (marketing hype + those candy chews) at all costs. I've also switched from Clif bars to Bear Valley bars (http://www.bearvalleybars.com/) - darned things are harder to tear off while riding, but I just make a tear in them before I set out on a ride. At one point, I used to mix Cytomax as well but haven't really gone out hammering for a long enough time so have been sticking to water.

Don't eat any of that junk unless you absolutely have to. When do you have to? 1. Only if you're racing and 2. only if it's in the last 45-60 minutes. Use gels or similar during that short period of time.

Other than those 2 times, eat normal food. Eat sandwiches (crust cut off, soft cheese, ham york). Eat fruit (bananas). Eat things you like (but not junk food).

All those sugars aren't good for your stomach or performance. You can do what you read in a magazine - junk. You can do what you see advertised - junk.

Or you can do what the pros do and have done for ages, and still do today - real food.

my 2 cents.

jmoore
05-06-2013, 08:52 AM
I buy the Welch's Fruit Snacks.

same here

Fruit snacks are perfect and inexpensive. The only problem I have now is that I have to fight my kids for them, so I keep a spare box on the bench in the garage.

AngryScientist
05-06-2013, 08:58 AM
i am a big jelly bean proponent.

67-59
05-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Fig Newtons instead of energy bars
and gummy bears in place of any clif drops etc.

I think if you google real research (as opposed to corporate sponsored) the whole electrolyte, salt stick, etc during exercise is pretty much hokum. Save your coin.

(just drink a little pickle juice before the ride will save on cramps)

Have you read the label of Fig Newtons?

High fructose corn syrup? Partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil? I think I'll stick with my sodium chloride.....

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2013, 09:08 AM

my 2 cents.

Apples, bananas, handful of almonds, proper hydration...this is fine for me. Nutrition prior to the ride (night and morning before) is more important for me than day of the ride. If I have been eating properly prior, I am normally good. If I am doing a race, i will use a GU gel, but not for everyday riding. I will test the gel packet on a couple rides prior. I am not a proponant of trying anything on game day that has not been vetted through the training process. I accidentally drank Cytomax during a half marathon (thought it was gatorade), it made me throw up. BM issues, stomach, performance...nothing new on game day for me.

Just my opinion.

bluesea
05-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Have you read the label of Fig Newtons?

High fructose corn syrup? Partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil? I think I'll stick with my sodium chloride.....

Used to get locally produced organic fig newtons right down the road, till they discontinued after all these years. I wrap such stuff (including white rice musubi, for fast 5hr+ rides) in waxed paper for easy quick access.

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2013, 09:45 AM
As an aside, I try to take food which has no wrapper. Just a pet peeve of mine. It seems any route which hosts lots of cyclists is also littered with trash from their food, GU packets and wrappers.

Ralph
05-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Yep.....When you are exercising, and using sugar for immediate fuel.....sugar is sugar. It doesn't matter much where it comes from. Not exercising.....that's a different story.

Steve in SLO
05-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Ever want to beat a riding buddy up a climb? Just offer him one or two Gu gels at the base of a climb. His teeth will be glued shut before you know it.

67-59
05-06-2013, 10:52 AM

I was watching part of a race the other day, and the pros I was watching seemed to be sucking down one gel after another. Not saying that they don't also eat some real food once in a while, but most of what I watch them eat seems to be pre-packaged.

I'm not a pro, so I just stick to Fig Newmans....

rnhood
05-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Yes, and you will occasionally see them eat a snickers bar too, or some other energy bar. When one is exercising it doesn't matter if the calories are coming from candy, gels, cookies, fruit, etc. As stated above, sugar is sugar. The Pancreas scales back the insulin output so the glucose will go directly from the bloodstream to the working muscles (rather than storing it in fat cells). This helps spare the glycogen stores. Eating real food (any significant amount) will slow digestion and divert blood from the working muscles to the stomach which often isn't very desirable in a bike race.

These pro's eat their real food after their rides, and at their evening meal. That's when it does the most good (replenishing their glycogen stores and nourishing muscle repair with protein and amino acids). On the road, they need glucose.

azrider
05-06-2013, 12:40 PM

Adam Myerson, Pro Cyclocross and Road Racer
"Mountain Dew and Snickers—it has fat, slow sugar, fast sugar, protein, tastes good"

Chris Horner, 2011 Tour of California Winner
"Coke and Snickers."

Mike Friedman, 2008 Track Olympian and Pro Road Racer
"I buy king-size Snickers bars; but over those, I prefer the 25 cent Nutty Bars by Little Debbie."

Ted King
"if there are no good bakeries to be found, 35 cents and a gas station gets you a Little Debbie that will likely fuel your ride home."

Lewis Moon
05-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Adam Myerson, Pro Cyclocross and Road Racer
"Mountain Dew and Snickers—it has fat, slow sugar, fast sugar, protein, tastes good"

Chris Horner, 2011 Tour of California Winner
"Coke and Snickers."

Mike Friedman, 2008 Track Olympian and Pro Road Racer
"I buy king-size Snickers bars; but over those, I prefer the 25 cent Nutty Bars by Little Debbie."

Ted King
"if there are no good bakeries to be found, 35 cents and a gas station gets you a Little Debbie that will likely fuel your ride home."

Mmmmmmm...Little Debbie. I'd regale you with some of the lovingly misogynistic poems we used to compose in her honor on 100 mile training rides up to Estes Park....but...um...no.

67-59
05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Yes, and you will occasionally see them eat a snickers bar too, or some other energy bar. When one is exercising it doesn't matter if the calories are coming from candy, gels, cookies, fruit, etc. As stated above, sugar is sugar. The Pancreas scales back the insulin output so the glucose will go directly from the bloodstream to the working muscles (rather than storing it in fat cells). This helps spare the glycogen stores. Eating real food (any significant amount) will slow digestion and divert blood from the working muscles to the stomach which often isn't very desirable in a bike race.

These pro's eat their real food after their rides, and at their evening meal. That's when it does the most good (replenishing their glycogen stores and nourishing muscle repair with protein and amino acids). On the road, they need glucose.

Agree with that. It's just that the post I responded to implied that it had to be one or the other. The specific language I responded to was "Or you can do what the pros do and have done for ages, and still do today - real food."

So the bottom line is that pro cyclists eat the pre-packaged stuff and (not or) real food. Jut like me, I guess.:banana:

rain dogs
05-06-2013, 10:46 PM
I was watching part of a race the other day, and the pros I was watching seemed to be sucking down one gel after another. Not saying that they don't also eat some real food once in a while, but most of what I watch them eat seems to be pre-packaged.

I'm not a pro, so I just stick to Fig Newmans....

Yes, there is a reason why you're seeing this. The televised portion of a race like the Giro is usually in the last 80km (see the TV marker below). As well, you're likely only seeing the last hour or so. When the pros get to the final hour, they'll be sucking down gels like crazy... but they're also racing. That's what I said previously.

However, prior to that they're eating small sandwiches mostly with soft cheese and ham, no crusts. Somtimes little apple tarts, often rice cakes etc.

They eat the real food from the musette right away, and save the gels and bars for the last bit. Most often they throw them out. You go to the Giro and there are gels and full water bottles everywhere on the side of the road. They eat a lot of normal food for 5 or so hours, and then gels and junk in the final. But, again, if you're not racing my opinion is the junk stuff is only bad for you nutritionally and in terms of you amount of bad calories. Why do all that work to just eat crappy candy when you have a good excuse to eat good expensive soft cheeses, deli meats, nuts and berries?

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/Giroditalia/2013/images/tappa/tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_04.jpg?v=%3C!--%20[an%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this% 20directive]%20%20--%3E

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2008/07/07/the-feed-zone-what-it-takes