PDA

View Full Version : TA Carmina Crank report (first impressions)

Ahneida Ride
05-05-2013, 09:40 AM
I replace the TA Zephyr on my Bedford with a TA Carmina

The Zephyr is going back home on the Legend .....

Rings are 48/36/22 same as the Zephyr ...
Drive train is 2002 Campy Record Triple with a 13-29 Cassette.

Shifting is spot on flawless. and my shoes do not rub against the crank arms.

The Carmina gets 5 dancing Bananas :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carmina.asp

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnF6uOgxlqKieCslYhZ5QgPo_3Ae7ch vIT2KqvqH3xaQ0-aQvhKg

wooly
05-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Nice to hear. I've been thinking of getting a new Athena 11 speed allow group but using the Carmina crank with a similar ring choice. Do you think the Athena fd will work with the Carmina?

witcombusa
05-05-2013, 12:02 PM
but the Zephyr is much better to look at.....;)

Ahneida Ride
05-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Nice to hear. I've been thinking of getting a new Athena 11 speed allow group but using the Carmina crank with a similar ring choice. Do you think the Athena fd will work with the Carmina?

Not sure if the ring work with Campy 11 speed ...

the rings say 9 speed, but they work perfectly with 10 speed

11 speed ????? call Peter White and ask him ...

Ahneida Ride
05-05-2013, 01:18 PM
but the Zephyr is much better to look at.....;)

better yes ..... much better ??? ..... that is debatable...

I'll post pictures of the before and after.

The Carmina shifts significantly better .... and my shoes do not rub
against the crank.

I have the older original version of the Carmina.

Why is TA the only manufacture to let the rider to pick his rings ?

tv_vt
05-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Bottom bracket is..... what?

Thanks,

T

Ahneida Ride
05-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Bottom bracket is..... what?

Thanks,

T

Phil Wood .... For my triple I used a JIS Phil 113 mm axle

------------------- From Peter White Site ....

The Carmina has a JIS square taper connection to the bottom bracket. That means it doesn't work with either recent Campagnolo bottom brackets or the old Campy axles from the sixties and seventies. Nor is it compatible with any current Dura Ace, Ultegra, XT, XTR and most other Shimano bottom brackets with the bizarre splines, or the newest Hollowtech II bottom brackets. If you have any sort of Campagnolo or recent Shimano crankset and want to change to this TA crank, you will need a new bottom bracket. I prefer the Phil Wood.

Due to a production change TA made in 2006, the Carmina can use different length axles. The original Carmina uses a 113mm axle for a triple in a frame with a 1 1/8" seat tube. You can tell the original Carmina by looking at the back side of the crank. If it's polished in the recessed section of the arm, it's the original version. If the recessed section has a grey finish and appears to be sandblasted, you have the later version. The later version requires an axle that's about 6mm longer. So a triple on a traditional steel frame with 1 1/8" seat tube would use a 119mm axle. See below for more information about BB axle length.

palincss
05-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Why is TA the only manufacture to let the rider to pick his rings ?

You can pick your rings with the Rene Herse crank, too.
http://www.compasscycle.com/cranks_bb.html

merckx
05-05-2013, 06:57 PM
What is the Q for the Carmina triple with a 113mm bb spindle?

weiwentg
05-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Peter White's page (link above) says it's 156mm for both the old crank and the new crank. I'm not able to verify, obviously, but he does have a number of these cranks, so I'd probably trust his numbers (I mean, where else would you check?).

merckx
05-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Peter White's page (link above) says it's 156mm for both the old crank and the new crank. I'm not able to verify, obviously, but he does have a number of these cranks, so I'd probably trust his numbers (I mean, where else would you check?).

Where else would I check? I'd ask a Paceline member who owns a Carmina triple crankset to measure them. I have a Record triple with a 111mm asymmetric bb that I measured at 163mm Q.

Ahneida Ride
05-06-2013, 09:30 AM

Sorry don't know ..

But my IQ is about 70 ...

Ken Robb
05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Sorry don't know ..

But my IQ is about 70 ...

On each lobe. :)

Ahneida Ride
05-06-2013, 01:21 PM
I'll ask Kelly Bedford to measure the Q factor .. :banana:

PacNW2Ford
05-06-2013, 08:59 PM
I get ~160mm for the first-gen version on a 116mm Phil Wood BB, so I would say Peter White's numbers are PDC.

hokoman
05-06-2013, 09:10 PM
that is a pretty darn expensive crankset after it's all put together....