PDA

View Full Version : OT: Non Cycling Outerwear....

Headwinds
11-29-2005, 09:31 PM
I recently discovered a company that has been making outerwear for some time. The company is Helly Hansen. I have found they make so any cool items and they are functional too.

Besides this company I like Columbia Sportswear and the stuff from REI.

What others have you found that make good stuff?

William
11-30-2005, 05:07 AM
Rhea Basset has always liked Hanes.

BaaWoo!!
BaaWoo!
http://www.geosc.psu.edu/~mbenoit/underwear.jpg

Though our family has always leaned toward Fruit of the Loom.
http://www.duke.edu/~mkr2/tn_IMG_0741.jpg

William ;)

shaq-d
11-30-2005, 05:53 AM
I recently discovered a company that has been making outerwear for soem time. The company is Helly Hansen. I have found they make so any cool items and they are functional too.

Besides this company I like Columbia Sportswear and the stuff from REI.

What others have you found that make good stuff?

yeah, helly hansen's famous if you ski. so is descente... here in canada we have MEC (mountain equipment co-op) which is kinda like REI, good in-house stuff, and nicely specc'd stores.

hey willy, i actually do find a difference between hanes and fruit of the loom..i think the FOTL shirts are slightly thicker so i like'm more..

sd

William
11-30-2005, 06:12 AM
yeah, helly hansen's famous if you ski. so is descente... here in canada we have MEC (mountain equipment co-op) which is kinda like REI, good in-house stuff, and nicely specc'd stores.

hey willy, i actually do find a difference between hanes and fruit of the loom..i think the FOTL shirts are slightly thicker so i like'm more..

sd

I agree with you. In the past I've also liked Champion as well.

Columbia outerwear is up there. Patagonia used to make pretty good products as well.

William

Ken Robb
11-30-2005, 06:44 AM
Ibex-mostly for wonderfully soft, non-itchy merino wool stuff. I relly like their Zephyr long sleeve, zip neck shirt for riding and skiing. Their biking stuff looks good but I haven't tried any.

Ozz
11-30-2005, 06:50 AM
Marmot.

Patagonia Capilene underwear is the best.

End of discussion..... ;)

rodenmg
11-30-2005, 06:53 AM
Can anyone suggest a good pair of wind resistant, warm-up type pants with fairly close fitting zip up lower legs. For the few time I would wear them cycle oriented outer wear is just so darn expensive.

JohnS
11-30-2005, 06:54 AM
Patagonia for fleece and underwear. Mountain Hardwear and Marmot for shells. The Marmot Driclime Windshirt is one of the most versatile garments I own.

Ozz
11-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Can anyone suggest a good pair of wind resistant, warm-up type pants with fairly close fitting zip up lower legs. For the few time I would wear them cycle oriented outer wear is just so darn expensive.
Pearl Izumi Tokyo Tights...used to be about $75. Oh wait, they don't make them anymore. :crap:

JohnS - I forgot about Mountain Hardwear...I don't own any, but it's what all the guides on Rainier wear. Ed Viesturs to, but I'm sure he gets paid to wear it. ;)

67-59
11-30-2005, 07:18 AM
The North Face.

MartyE
11-30-2005, 07:30 AM
Prana makes some good stuff.
I really like the Helly Hansen polartec fleece
type shirts.

Marty

JohnS
11-30-2005, 07:34 AM
The North Face.
They USED to be very good. Now they've really watered down and cheapened their lines so that the "fashionable" never-leave-the-city-limits crowd can wear them. My wife bought one of their down jackets a few years ago and it was leaking feathers the first day. She took it back and bought a MHW Sub Zero parka.

Too Tall
11-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Under Armour - awesome local company. THE BEST undershirts for cool / cold weather sports.
REI - Fantastic house brand designed by employees and the return policy is lifetime.

bostondrunk
11-30-2005, 07:52 AM

BaaWoo!!
BaaWoo!
http://www.geosc.psu.edu/~mbenoit/underwear.jpg

Though our family has always leaned toward Fruit of the Loom.
http://www.duke.edu/~mkr2/tn_IMG_0741.jpg

William ;)

Willy,

Will they fit well under a helmet? Does Rhea prefer gatorade or Accelerade for hydration???

Gothard
11-30-2005, 07:58 AM
It really boils down to what activity you plan on doing.
I have had very good experience with Patagonia for the last 10 years for Mountaineering, mostly randonnee skiing. They seem to never wear out.
In some specialties, fashion takes a distant second place to functionnality, and this is why the really good stuff is getting scarce.

CNY rider
11-30-2005, 08:25 AM
I think I actually first heard about Craft on this site.

I have two of their half-zip cycling long sleeve tops. They are the best cold weather cycling pieces that i have. One of those under my genuine e-Richie surplus EBay long sleeve jersey, and I'm ready for anything! They can be found on the cheap sometimes at Sierra Trading Post.

davids
11-30-2005, 08:29 AM
It really boils down to what activity you plan on doing.
In some specialties, fashion takes a distant second place to functionnality, and this is why the really good stuff is getting scarce.
BrooksstormŪ Long Town Coat
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/images/catalog/productimages/enlarged/010L_enlarged.jpg

Ginger
11-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Mountain Hardware
Functional and stylish.

There's some snowboard stuff that I really like too...but I stay away from it because...well...I'm not a snowboarder.

Isis. Good quality and again functional and stylish...however I don't know why they seem to think that women's goggles are *that* much smaller then men's goggles (the similar purpose pocket in the Isis and Mnt Hardware coats is oddly different sized...)

coylifut
11-30-2005, 09:55 AM

what are you looking to spend?

BarryG
11-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Patagonia Capilene underwear is the best.
End of discussion..... ;)
Sorry, notsofast. LONG time (10 yrs) user of Capilene here. But since discovering $20 Merino wool tops from campmor.com, the Capilene sits in the drawer. 'nuff said

Barry

jdoiv
11-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Marmot for shells, lots of features
Patagonia for long life and base layers... shells have fewer features but that's not necessarily bad

Moonstone if they were still around. great stuff, well made.. I have a goretex shell that has lasted me 13 years.....

Feathered Friends for anything down... top of the line....

JohnS
11-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Marmot for shells, lots of features
Patagonia for long life and base layers... shells have fewer features but that's not necessarily bad

Moonstone if they were still around. great stuff, well made.. I have a goretex shell that has lasted me 13 years.....

Feathered Friends for anything down... top of the line....
Moonstone comes and goes. I have a Cirrus jacket and Momentum Tech parka, both that I got for 50% since they weren't big sellers since the idiot customers had never heard of the name. Their loss...

rphetteplace
11-30-2005, 10:19 AM
vanson for leather, nothing tougher

jdoiv
11-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Moonstone comes and goes. I have a Cirrus jacket and Momentum Tech parka, both that I got for 50% since they weren't big sellers since the idiot customers had never heard of the name. Their loss...

I stand corrected. I tried to find them a couple of years ago when I needed to replace a Goretex pa****e jacket (wife absconded my good one and left me without) and wanted to get a moonstone since I've had such great success with it. Couldn't find them and figured they were belly up. Now to see if I can find someone local that carries 'em.... :cool:

Headwinds
11-30-2005, 11:04 AM
BaaWoo!!BaaWoo!
William ;)

William,

That does not look like outerwear to me... Or is the smell of those undies so strong that you could use them for protection outside? :) :) :)

William
11-30-2005, 02:06 PM
William,

That does not look like outerwear to me... Or is the smell of those undies so strong that you could use them for protection outside? :) :) :)

If you wear underwear long enough......it becomes outerwear. :eek: :rolleyes:

William

gasman
11-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Sorry, notsofast. LONG time (10 yrs) user of Capilene here. But since discovering $20 Merino wool tops from campmor.com, the Capilene sits in the drawer. 'nuff said

Barry

Wool is great if you don't have to be out in the mountains or the woods for longer than a day.When wool is wet with sweat or rain it takes forever to dry and it smells pretty funky.You smell like a sheep and your tent mates start looking at you funny.
There are really so many great companies that make great gear. Most of the have been mentioned already. One hasn't- Western Mountaineering. They make some of the best down sleeping bags on the planet. My bag kept me warm on Mt. McKinley in some really cold weather.
North Face still makes serious gear they have just gone for the urban user to keep themselves alfoat financially.
Marmot, Patagonia,Sport Hill, Moonstone, REI,Columbia and countless other companies make great outdoor gear. None of it cheap either.

Hysbrian
11-30-2005, 03:59 PM
You guys all named some of the GOOD stuff. I'll name the best, its Arc'Teryx. There stuff is second to none. Its all about the fit and and what you need though.

KevinK
11-30-2005, 04:02 PM
I use Sporthill's XC tights over my road shorts for my winter commuting. They are warm and snugfitting so there is no flapping or catching in the chain. Even when they get wet (they are not waterproof) they stay nice and warm. Nice cuff zippers that go all the way up the calf. I also use Sporthill gear for skiing, and my wife has alot of their lightweight stuff for running. It is very well made clothing, and being here in Eugene, I always watch for when they put their seconds on sale.

www.sporthill.com

Kevin

gasman
11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
You guys all named some of the GOOD stuff. I'll name the best, its Arc'Teryx. There stuff is second to none. Its all about the fit and and what you need though.

They also make great gear, like I said there are a lot out of good companies out there.

gasman
11-30-2005, 04:25 PM
I use Sporthill's XC tights over my road shorts for my winter commuting. They are warm and snugfitting so there is no flapping or catching in the chain. Even when they get wet (they are not waterproof) they stay nice and warm. Nice cuff zippers that go all the way up the calf. I also use Sporthill gear for skiing, and my wife has alot of their lightweight stuff for running. It is very well made clothing, and being here in Eugene, I always watch for when they put their seconds on sale.

www.sporthill.com

Kevin

I'd second what Kevin says. Great stuff and the factory seconds/overstock sale is always packed.

weisan
11-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Move to Texas.... :D

dehoopta
12-01-2005, 03:11 AM
Marmot and Mountain Hardware make great stuff. No Face is commercial and I believed owned by some mainstream clothing company. REI stuff really rocks and is much cheaper than the above.

weisan
12-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Marmot DiClime Windshirts

Currently, two places offer best prices:

Massey's - Men's $70
REI Online - Girls Closeouts $27

Do Google.