PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for MOUNTING a bike bell with a Japanese clamp

VTCaraco
05-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Anybody try mounting a bell with this sort of clamp?
http://store.velo-orange.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/530x530/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/be-1009_1.jpg
It's considerably smaller than the diameter of my handlebars.
I tried to reshape the one side ~ no luck.
Then tried attaching the bell-side to a hose clamp but that didn't work out very well either.
Did I simply buy the wrong bell?
Any attachments I can buy/fabricate?

Am I really asking this/having trouble accomplishing this?
...I'm afraid so :no:

fuzzalow
05-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Use the original clamp but re-bend the radius of the stamped metal clamp to be 31.6. Leave the ears where the screw threads are, the mounting point for the bell and the hook & eye assembly alone. Reradius what is left.

There will be a large gap when the bending is done between the ears. Loop a zip tie using the screw holes to mount to the bars.

I have found using a bell instantly makes any bike more friendly to those you come across. I especially like it when riding a Pro Bike, most find it amusing because most see riders of Pro Bikes as eminently lacking in humor.

sjbraun
05-04-2013, 04:14 PM
I ended up enlarging the hole that the one part of the clamp slips into.

I think I just hacked away at it with a drill (my usual approach to any mechanical challenge,) until I could position the clamp i a way that fit my bars.

VTCaraco
05-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Loop a zip tie using the screw holes to mount to the bars.

Worked like a charm!

Thanks, Fuzzalow :banana:

Lanterne Rouge
05-04-2013, 05:50 PM
a zip tie .

Zip ties are awesome!

Louis
05-04-2013, 05:53 PM
I have found using a bell instantly makes any bike more friendly to those you come across.

It's counterintuitive to me that a mechanical warning device would be perceived by others as an improvement over a friendly human voice. Maybe it makes you sound like a 7 year old kid on a bike, but other than that, I don't see how a cheerful "Hello" (or whatever) won't be at least as good.

EricEstlund
05-04-2013, 08:51 PM
A gentle bell tone works over a greater distance, in heavier wind, and is generally more easily recognized on multi use paths over another voice. Love em or hate em, they have a place.

rando
05-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Bells also give off a more pleasing tone than most human voices inflect when going faster than the object in their way.

palincss
05-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Anybody try mounting a bell with this sort of clamp?
http://store.velo-orange.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/530x530/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/be-1009_1.jpg
It's considerably smaller than the diameter of my handlebars.
I tried to reshape the one side ~ no luck.
Then tried attaching the bell-side to a hose clamp but that didn't work out very well either.
Did I simply buy the wrong bell?
Any attachments I can buy/fabricate?

Am I really asking this/having trouble accomplishing this?
...I'm afraid so :no:

Are you sure that's not meant to go around the quill of a quill stem?

sulfate125
05-04-2013, 09:15 PM
I agree that my bell works well, but I never get smiles. I always sense irritation from pedestrians. Seem to work much better on bike paths.

fuzzalow
05-05-2013, 06:39 AM
It's counterintuitive to me that a mechanical warning device would be perceived by others as an improvement over a friendly human voice. Maybe it makes you sound like a 7 year old kid on a bike, but other than that, I don't see how a cheerful "Hello" (or whatever) won't be at least as good.

That the bell makes you sound like a 7 year old kid on a bike is exactly why it works, it is non-threatening and upside down to what they have come to expect from roadies on Pro Bikes. It initiates a conversation or a smile most of the time.

Often what the other rider says is that they didn't expect to see the kind of rider like me (bike clothes clad on a Pro Bike) and that riders like me only yell "on your left" as they go by.

I tell them to pay riders like me no mind as those riders are pretenders because if they were real riders going on the gas, they would be out there (pointing at the traffic roadway).

Aaron O
05-05-2013, 06:46 AM
I've found that it depends on the bell; the Japanese Crane bells are great at announcing your precense, but aren't well perceived by others. Bells with a more ringgggggg ringggggg are seen as friendly and silly. I added an oooohagh horn to my triplet and that's really done well both for noise and reactions, people see a large tandem with an oooogah horn and they smile. The airzound was not appreciated.

EricEstlund
05-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Use a crane, but ring it once at a greater distance. If it doesn't register, ring it one more time a little closer. Using a signal can be done courteously- and I usually verbalize "thank you" as I pass.