PDA

View Full Version : Look to Speedplay. Back to Look?

crossjunkee
05-03-2013, 11:19 AM
I always rode Look pedals. I switched to Speedplays because the cornering angle came in handy when I was racing every weekend. I'm thinking about switching back to Look. I'll be honest, I haven't looked at pedals in YEARS. Looking for real world advice on the new Look (or maybe Campy) pedals.

I don't really have a good reason switch. The only issue I've EVER had with Speedplay, would be the cleat, they jam up when I'm walking around at sag stops.

Again, no real issue, just want to try something different.

rice rocket
05-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Just get Shimanos and quit your search. ;)

crossjunkee
05-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Shimano on a Campy crank? I just can't do it, ha! I do love my XTR spd's though! :hello:

Lewis Moon
05-03-2013, 11:32 AM
I always rode Look pedals. I switched to Speedplays because the cornering angle came in handy when I was racing every weekend. I'm thinking about switching back to Look. I'll be honest, I haven't looked at pedals in YEARS. Looking for real world advice on the new Look (or maybe Campy) pedals.

I don't really have a good reason switch. The only issue I've EVER had with Speedplay, would be the cleat, they jam up when I'm walking around at sag stops.

When you switch, you'll fondly remember the Speedplays. Life's like that.

crossjunkee
05-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Murphy's law!

Mark McM
05-03-2013, 12:10 PM

All summer I ride my bike while dreaming about skiing.

All winter I ski while dreaming about riding my bike.

christian
05-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Shimano on a Campy crank?All my bikes are full Campagnolo. Colnago with Record, Allez with Chorus, Zanconato with Centaur.

And every one of them uses Shimano SPD-SL pedals. Best pedals ever. I am a reformed Speedplay user.

christian
05-03-2013, 12:13 PM

Obviously, this is a good reason to go with Look. PX 12s in winter, Keo in summer.

crossjunkee
05-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Ditto! I had such a great snowboard season, my riding has suffered! I'm way behind the mileage from last year at this time

aoe
05-03-2013, 12:33 PM
If you like Look, you'll love Time...iClic/Xpresso or RXS are worth a shot.

Ralph
05-03-2013, 12:55 PM
On most of my rides, somwhere along the way, I walk a few feet. Not far usually, but maybe into a convenience store, etc. There is a Panera's at the end of my ride, before I take the trail home, I like to stop at. I like the cheap covers for my Look Keo 11's so I can walk just a bit. So I would either buy some walkable SPD's, or a pedal that has an available ceat cover. The availabibility of a cleat cover is important to me. Maybe not to you.

67-59
05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Get a NOS pair of Look Deltas off eBay. They're cheap, and you can still get cleats.

Plan to replace them as soon as they break, which will be never.

Mike748
05-03-2013, 01:20 PM
I tried the SPD-SL switch but didn't like the lack of free float. I have switched from X2 to Zero which seems like a good tradeoff. I use the Kool covers on the cleats which are far superior to the Speedplay covers. If I know I'm going to walk a lot I use the other bike which has Frogs.

GRAVELBIKE
05-03-2013, 01:27 PM
I've used Speedplay frogs exclusively for probably 15 years (maybe longer). Prior to converting to frogs, I gave the X series pedals a try, and they were OK, but you didn't dare walk anywhere there was dirt, etc. Same experience with Look pedals available at the time.

What's the best non-SPD pedal/cleat for dirty conditions? SPDs are out because there isn't enough tension-free float for my knees.

slidey
05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
When there's no issue, don't tinker with it. However for the minor inconvenience that you mention you can use cleat covers. Here's one of the many options - http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1033496_-1___

ultraman6970
05-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Just get time and stop looking somewhere else :P