PDA

View Full Version : Found, safe - Missing touring cyclist last spotted in Salinas, CA on 4/17

old fat man
05-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Hi all. My wife's uncle (name is Eric Pohley) set out from Auburn, CA earlier this spring on a solo, self supported bike tour and has been missing since 4/17. I will put forward what I know, and I hope to get more info from his family later today, including the Missing Person report. Here are some facts, in case anyone in this area of CA might come across him, or his touring equipment

He was traveling solo, with a trailer, on a matte brown Cannondale F400 (no idea what year the bike is...). He was not doing big distances each day (like 20-30 miles)

He stayed at a motel 8 in/near stockton, ca prior to 4/17

He had a trailer tire, maybe wheel, changed at a bike shop that told the police they don't remember him. He stayed in modesto while his bike was fixed

We have the serial number of the bike

He has a trailer with heavy duty, locking, black boxes and safety flags. Supposedly he was setting out for upwards of a year, so he had some pretty valuable and heavy (100+lbs) items with him.

He was last spotted in Salinas, CA on 4/17 by a postal carrier

He might have been going towards san luis obispo to stay with a friend, but he never made it to his friend's place

He is not wearing cycling clothes or a helmet. Probably a baseball cap, tennis shoes, and a gray beard

He might have followed the Salinas River towards soledad, gonsalez or from Salinas towards monterey county

I've never met him, but I know he is 6'1" and well conditioned to living off the grid (he lived in a cabin he built in the woods for many years). He was not on any meds, and has no history of mental illness, drug, or drinking problems. He's not a violent person (though it sounds like his route was taking him through some unsafe areas). There is a large search effort planned for this Sunday, but any help/leads people can offer before then are obviously appreciated. Until I can get the direct contact info for the party in charge, you can reach out to me via PM with any info you might have.

Thanks!

old fat man
05-03-2013, 10:44 AM

charliedid
05-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Oh man...my heart just sank. Sure hope he is okay.

Maybe he just rolled off for some "alone time"?

Sounds like a pretty self sufficient guy.

Hoping you find out something soon.

Peace

FastVegan
05-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear about this, he sounds like a great man. Keep us in the loop.

retrofit
05-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Sorry to here about your wife's uncle.

I haven't read anything in the local newspaper (Monterey Herald) about a missing cyclist and a quick search of the local TV stations' websites don't have a story either. You might want to contact local media, if you haven't already, with the story. (I'll keep tabs on the local CL for his touring equipment.)

oliver1850
05-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Sorry to read this. From what you've said, it seems he might be the type that wouldn't check in daily with anyone to report. I've had touring cyclists stay overnight here and always wonder about them when they're gone. I don't use Facebook, but using it or a blog on a daily basis would be a good idea for a tourist I think.

old fat man
05-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and thoughts. Apparently he was "found" alive up north, not on his expected route. I don't much more than that, and he's kind of been estranged from my wife's direct family, so the news is not making its way to us quickly. I will fill in with more of the story when I finally get it.

christian
05-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Glad to hear it Rosey.

Tony T
05-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Good news! (edit the Tread Topic please)

retrofit
05-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Glad the situation turned out well.

charliedid
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Cheers

slidey
05-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Glad this worked out!