PDA

View Full Version : Picture tips... also posted in the gallery

Russ
03-02-2004, 06:05 PM
I’d like to share with you the tips I learned from BiciSport Magazine, about how to take pictures of your road bikes. Remember, those Italians are into style, so let’s follow their instructions and let’s make our forum gallery the best bike picture gallery out there!

I will be suggesting to Ben Serotta that he uses pictures of bikes actually owned by forum members like you and I on his company 2005 catalog, as opposed to using show bikes. I think this should have been done on the 2002 (Anniversary) catalog, but it didn’t. Perhaps he will be inspired after he sees some of your bikes here!

Tips:

1) Choose a flat, even-colored background, such as brick, wood or stucco wall. An overcast sky is also very good. However, a blue sky may not be best if you have a bike of similar colors.
2) Make sure the wheels, tires and frame are visually clean.
3) Position the bike heading to the right, so that the drive train is visible, and make sure the handlebars are straight.
4) Do not lean your bike against any vertical object or near objects such as trees, light posts, a trainer, etc. This would interrupt the flow of the picture. Use the handle bars to support the bike to the surface, or better yet, a small object that can be concealed behind the rear wheel such as a small metal rod. Old Mavic Zircal spokes have been useful for this.
5) Position of bike parts:
a) Wheels: if they have a brand make sure it is positioned so it is not upside down and easy to read.
b) The labels on the tires should be centered to the valve of the tubes and facing the drive train.
c) The valves of the tubes should be at the 6:00 O’clock position.
d) The right crank arm should be at the 5:00 O’clock position so that the left arm is hidden behind the down tube.
e) Place the chain in the highest gear, for instance 53 x 11, so that your chain is stretched and the rear derailleur is extended and fully visible.
f) Saddle: unless you are DBRK, or have a bike that was ridden by Coppi, go ahead and RAISE your saddle to make the bike look fast! Don’t forget to mark your original saddle position!
6) Take two or three pictures as follow:
a) One main, side picture to display the whole bike and drive train. When taking this picture, center the bike on the frame as much as possible, and try to fill the entire frame. However, make sure you do not cut any part of the bike from the picture! Watch for the wheels and the crank set.
b) Leave anything that does not belong to the bike itself out of the picture. We know you love your pets and/or kids, but others may not care.
c) Take another picture to show the front end of the bike
d) Take another picture to show the bike from behind, as if it was riding away from you.
e) Finally, take close-up pictures of parts of the bike you want to show us. A computer, specialty brakes, decals, etc.

Remember; use a flash, even when you (or your camera) do not think that you need to. The flash works really well in daylight by helping get rid of unwanted shadows and it also helps create sharp pictures and bring your bike colors to shine! Take a look at some of the pictures from Graham Watson, rarely will you see shadows in the faces or bodies of riders and the metal parts of the bike, such as the spokes, look shiny and bright…

If you have access to Photoshop or a similar program, use it to edit your pictures and to correct or improve any flaws in your pictures.

If you have questions or if you wish further I help posting your pictures, please e-mail me here at the forum.

Best,

Russ

rePhil
03-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Some good tips, but some things are better off being left to the pros. There is more to a quality catalog than a bunch of people sending in photos, even if some of them are of decent quality.
I disagree about the strobe usage, unless it's studio photography.

Jeff Weir
03-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Just what Serotta needs, a bunch of snaphots in the catalog! I'd have to agree with Picshooter....let the pros do it.

Marco
03-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Actually, I think that the "signature" shots that Russ has taken are much better than the current catalogue for somebody that really wants to "see" the bikes through a bandwidth medium. If you live in an area that doesn't have an LBS with a big inventory of Serottas that is important. Russ's signature really came through when he shot PBWrenchs red/yellow sizzler Legend in the exact sequence that he had shot his own Ottrot. Thanks Russ.

Russ
03-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Marco
Actually, I think that the "signature" shots that Russ has taken are much better than the current catalogue...

Thanks Marco!

Remember one thing guys; I have literally copied the advice from the Italian magazine, with the exception of part 5f where I added some editorial comments, so I am assuming that the staff from this magazine would have gotten advice from "pro" photographers.

Now, I am not surprised to hear someone else complain about the quality of the pictures from the current catalog (the same goes for the web site). Many people have told me the same, these pictures are terrible! This is the reason I started this thread. One example is the picture of the Ottrott ST (on page 13 of the catalog and on the corresponding bike page on the web). Have you noticed that the front wheel is a couple of inches HIGHER than the rear wheel? This bike does not seem to be a "real" bike to me....

Finally, I don't think the way to get pictures of owner’s bikes would be to ask everyone to send in pictures! This would be exhausting... I think Serotta (the company) could pick a handful of owners and have a local "pro" take the pictures of their bikes, don't you agree?