PDA

View Full Version : does anyone use the threaded to threadless stem converters?

Benjamin
12-15-2003, 02:02 PM
i've seen these things in catalogs and am contemplating buying one, but i don't know anyone using them and wonder if there's a reason why.

i don't feel like replacing my F1 and headset, but i'd like to try out some different stem configurations and 1" quill stems are becoming rare and nonexistent in a 31.8mm clamp diameter (and are generally pricey, while threadless stems are often under $15).

thanks...

Saxon
12-15-2003, 02:05 PM
I use one on my Trek, because the person I bought it from had it set up that way. Haven't had any trouble with it and I've put about 2000 miles on it.
Sax

Blastinbob
12-15-2003, 06:14 PM
I have one I use on my threaded F-1. Never have had a problem with it .They are not very long so you can't put much of a spacer on top, 20mm or so I think. I can't remember exactly because I don't have that set-up on the bike right now.

If you use a chris king headset you can get a conversion kit , threaded to threadless, direct from CK for about $25.00.

Bob

MaxHr203
12-15-2003, 06:26 PM
I used one all Year! Cinelli! You will love it.

Gene

Benjamin
12-15-2003, 06:31 PM
thanks for the help... i picked one up at the shop tonight for $15 - i've got three stems on the way from eBay, chuck's bikes and one other place, about $50 invested total - less than the price of one decent quill stem.