PDA

View Full Version : Good campy 11spd compatible wheels?

HugoBear
05-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Am building up my first bike with recently purchased on this forum Campy Chorus 11spd group. I have a lot of Shimano compatible wheel sets but none for Campy. Anyone have a recommendation for reasonably priced 11 spd Campy compatible wheels? I seem to see some Mavic Open Pro's on ebay that would seem to work.
Thank you.

firerescuefin
05-03-2013, 09:42 AM
You're about to get a million suggestions. Lets start with weight, type of riding you want to do, road conditions where you live, tire size you plan on running, other wheels youve liked in the past...and budget:)

HugoBear
05-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Sorry for being so vague. I don't want to spend more than $500. Weight around 1500-1700 is fine. I am an all around rider but this would not be my race bike, more training and comfort bike. Typically run 23s but would consider 25s for this bike. I typically like conti gp4000s because of durability. My favorite set I currently have is a Dt Swiss RR 1.1 powertap set as they have been bulletproof and I've never had to true them since I have owned them. I don't really like too retro looking stuff and would not want to run tubulars on this bike.
Thanks again

firerescuefin
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Sorry for being so vague. I don't want to spend more than $500. Weight around 1500-1700 is fine. I am an all around rider but this would not be my race bike, more training and comfort bike. Typically run 23s but would consider 25s for this bike.
Thanks again

Hugo...how much do you weigh?. I'd be curious what guys like old potatoe or echelon Jon could build at close to that price point.

HugoBear
05-03-2013, 09:55 AM
I weigh about 170-175.

reggiebaseball
05-03-2013, 10:07 AM
OK, for clinchers, look for barely used or brandy new NEutron clinchers. 1500 grams, very reliable and repairable, and well loved.
$400, go for it!
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=128910&highlight=neutron

bluesea
05-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I love Neutrons, hope to get another set some day, but hesitate to recommend because of the tire/rim tightness issue. Its definitely a head knocking challenge till one develops the needed technique, and some never do.

I weigh 174 currently and did a minor truing after two years, but suspect that had to do with our neglected roads and my own inattention.

Have had OPs and Record hubs. They're not the darling they used to be, but still work I believe.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8178953885_1ec4f624b6_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/8178953885/)
COLNAGOinKAHALA (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/8178953885/) by pigmode (http://www.flickr.com/people/pigmode/), on Flickr

HugoBear
05-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys. May give the neutrons a try and hope that I can mount tires on them. I am somewhat mechanically challenged but getting better, albeit slowly...

nighthawk
05-03-2013, 11:03 AM
I've got some 2005 Campagnolo Eurus wheels (alloy spokes) that ill be selling soon. Does anyone have some insight as to how they compare to the Neutrons?

donevwil
05-03-2013, 11:13 AM
For another option if you're interested in 23mm rim width, I have three sets of Rol wheels (http://www.rolwheels.com/rol_volant_wheels.php), two older Volants and one newer Race SL. Very high quality wheels and great company. The Volants and Volant R/T appear to be in your price range.

I've never ridden Neutrons, but a few friends ditto the comments above.

waypastfast
05-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a set of 2010 Mavic Ksyrium Yksion K10 for sale with Campy freehub. Pm me if your interested!

thwart
05-03-2013, 11:32 AM
I've got some 2005 Campagnolo Eurus wheels (alloy spokes) that ill be selling soon. Does anyone have some insight as to how they compare to the Neutrons?

Are you sure they have alloy spokes...? I thought that era of Eurus had stainless steel spokes.

I've owned both the steel-spoked Eurus and Neutrons. IME, no big differences beween them that couldn't be attributed to the tires being used... the Eurus maybe felt a little stiffer riding.

nighthawk
05-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Are you sure they have alloy spokes...? I thought that era of Eurus had stainless steel spokes.

I've owned both the steel-spoked Eurus and Neutrons. IME, no big differences beween them that couldn't be attributed to the tires being used... the Eurus maybe felt a little stiffer riding.

Stainless steel is an alloy, no? I meant to imply that they were not Aluminum (which is also an alloy and I'm an idiot).
And thanks for the comparison, that's about what I figured, but haven't ridden Neutrons.

Pete Mckeon
05-03-2013, 03:28 PM
or wheel builder and have them put on a campy carrier for rear (switch for shimano one. PETE

Sorry for being so vague. I don't want to spend more than $500. Weight around 1500-1700 is fine. I am an all around rider but this would not be my race bike, more training and comfort bike. Typically run 23s but would consider 25s for this bike. I typically like conti gp4000s because of durability. My favorite set I currently have is a Dt Swiss RR 1.1 powertap set as they have been bulletproof and I've never had to true them since I have owned them. I don't really like too retro looking stuff and would not want to run tubulars on this bike.
Thanks again

zott28
05-03-2013, 04:36 PM
I love Neutrons, hope to get another set some day, but hesitate to recommend because of the tire/rim tightness issue. Its definitely a head knocking challenge till one develops the needed technique, and some never do.

I'm on board with this. They are great, but hope you never flat. It could be very frustrating.

vqdriver
05-03-2013, 04:41 PM
i'd jump on anything that's built on the DT 240s hubs. super easy to work on and work fine with 11sp

here ya go:
bomber for $400 shipped
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f3/fs-thomson-posts-dt240s-clinchers-fizik-arione-cx-nitto-m18-3t-dorico-pro-32771.html

bluesea
05-03-2013, 05:26 PM
If you have a convertible set of wheels, its probably a good cautious option. Its great to have the back up while you get used to the Campy.

Marz
05-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys. May give the neutrons a try and hope that I can mount tires on them. I am somewhat mechanically challenged but getting better, albeit slowly...

I have a pair of Protons which have a similar if not identical rim to Neutrons. Feel I have to finally pipe up about the tyre fitting problem that everyone complains about.

There is a way of doing it that solves the problem. I can fit any tyre, even GP4000s with my hands only. It's about seating the beads into the valley of the rim before pushing the last bit in.

There are Youtube videos to show how it's done.

Try it.

zetroc
05-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Buy my DT wheels!

jr59
05-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Buy my DT wheels!

shhhh... I'm working on it!!!!

oldpotatoe
05-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Am building up my first bike with recently purchased on this forum Campy Chorus 11spd group. I have a lot of Shimano compatible wheel sets but none for Campy. Anyone have a recommendation for reasonably priced 11 spd Campy compatible wheels? I seem to see some Mavic Open Pro's on ebay that would seem to work.
Thank you.

Do you have a local wheelbuilder who can design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs and budget..go see him(her).

Well designed and built wheels will be

-reliable
-proper weight for you
-use standard, not propriatary stuff
-probably be cheaper

Variety of hubs including Record,

DT,Velocity, Mavic, H+Son rims..others...etc.

OtayBW
05-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm on board with this. They are great, but hope you never flat. It could be very frustrating.
I have a set of Nucleons (older Neutron) and yes, the tire changing is a royal pain - bur, for me, only during initial install of a new tire. Contis were the worst, but I haven't used them in years now, and I just really don't have problem after the initial stretch.

The Nucleons/Neutrons are good riding, fairly lightweight, and bulletproof.

crossjunkee
06-17-2013, 04:08 PM
I have a low mileage set of Record hubs with ceramic Open Pro's I'm getting ready to part with. They were hand build by Oldpotatoe last summer. You will not find a pair of cermaics like these! Click on my "Spectrum" link for a pic.

jds108
06-17-2013, 05:00 PM
You're not going to find a better deal than this:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/road-wheels/factory-road-wheels/campagnolo-scirocco-wheels-pair.html

I bought a different set of wheels from this shop about a year ago. No troubles with the shipping, they arrived without any damage.