PDA

View Full Version : Carbon or finish crack on my Super six ??

cxboy
05-02-2013, 07:06 PM
I picked up a used 2009 cannondale super six frame. I noticed a finish or carbon crack at the base of the seat / top tube.
I know its impossible to tell from the picture, but if anyone has an opinion or is there any way to tell if its a finish or carbon crank without removing the finish ??

Thx...

Bruce K
05-02-2013, 07:09 PM
What picture

I know Cannondsle has really good warranties - I just din 't know if they are only to the original owner

BK

Ardan MacNessa
05-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Take your bicycle to an authorised Cannondale dealer and have the mechanic look at the frame. These attached pics were all okay by Cannondale headquarters after careful examination. This is a 2008 Super Six after 20,000 miles of riding [pics spring 2010]

cxboy
05-02-2013, 07:26 PM
What picture

I know Cannondsle has really good warranties - I just din 't know if they are only to the original owner

BK

Picture uploaded...

Ardan MacNessa
05-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Here are some other imperfections but completely okay with Cannondale.

Bruce K
05-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Thst's a tough one

There shouldn't be any real flex there to cause "cosmetic" cracking

+1 in taking it to a dealer so Cannondale can get a look

BK

akelman
05-02-2013, 07:42 PM
That looks completely cosmetic to me (on my monitor, from a million miles away, through my untrained eyes), but having seen a friend's SuperSix crack, I agree with everyone else that you should have it looked at by an expert.

cxboy
05-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Whats the general consensus of the quality of the Super six frames ??

Ardan MacNessa
05-02-2013, 07:50 PM
...I agree with everyone else that you should have it looked at by an expert.

Each bicycle shop that sells Cannondale has a Rep for Cannondale. Usually if the bicycle shop has a good relationship with a distributor [i.e. in this case Cannondale] they'll examine your problems free of charge.

Side note, Cannondale does not guarantee frames that have been sold privately to a second owner. Usually they only warranty originally purchased merchandise by the original owner. On that note, at least you're given reassurances if the frame is safe after their evaluation. Takes about a week usually. I put on another 25,000 miles on that frame pictured above without issues. Still riding it.

akelman
05-02-2013, 07:54 PM

I'm not sure you'll find a consensus about much of anything around here, but I can tell you that my friend's SuperSix (mentioned above) and the one that replaced it were both amazing bikes. I rode them both a few times, and they were very comfortable rockets. I can add that the friend in question was a former pro, someone who's ridden hundreds if not thousands of bikes through the years, and the SuperSix was his favorite by far. YMMV, of course.

Ardan MacNessa
05-02-2013, 07:56 PM

By 2009 the cosmetic problems should have been worked out. I certainly enjoy my cosmetically flawed Super Six 2008. It's rough, like myself, and a fair day for those who look too close.

They are a pretty hefty frame overall, and build is right there. Cosmetics? Well they [Cannondale] have come up a little short in 2008-2009 with finish... but bond and strength have been good.

ultraman6970
05-02-2013, 08:02 PM
You have to sand the paint off, is the only way to know what is going on under the paint.

Good luck.

Nick209
05-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Take a quarter and tap the frame. If its a loud click your solid. If it's a dull thud you've got a crack.

alancw3
05-03-2013, 03:48 AM
one more reason why i would not buy a used cf frame without personally inspecting it prior to purchasing. yes c/dale warranty only good to the original owner. i learned first hand with my six13.

soulspinner
05-03-2013, 05:44 AM
Take a quarter and tap the frame. If its a loud click your solid. If it's a dull thud you've got a crack.

wow that's not something Im betting my skull on......................

cxboy
05-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Does cannondale have a high tech xray machine that can see whats under the paint ?

Ardan MacNessa
05-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Does cannondale have a high tech xray machine that can see whats under the paint ?
To the best of my own abilities I've explained the experience of examination through a reputable Cannondale representative. I know the company pretty well.

Like I said earlier, if you're that worried go to a Cannondale LBS that sells Cannondale and have the frame looked at by a Rep. In my own opinion, what I see on your seat tube adjoining the top tube is nothing.

ultraman6970
05-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Many carbon bikes fail in the drop out/stay joint because is some of the "glue" they used spilled out a tiny bit then used it to even the surface aswell. Then when the paint gives up the thing looks like a nasty ugly crack.

In the case of the OP, if the frame is not creaking, the only way to know w/o putting that thing in a x-ray machine is to sand the paint off. Repair white is not like a big problem because even if done wrong, white will hide the imperfections. Was black could be a problem because black needs to be done almost perfect.

YoucancallmeAL
05-09-2013, 08:04 PM
that doesnt really look like crack. This video (http://predatorcycling.com/carbon-fiber-repair/) helps with figuring it out yourself to a degree. i'd still take it in though just cause carbon failure is not something anyone wants to deal with.

beeatnik
05-09-2013, 09:54 PM
In my experience (2 bikes), the rear dropouts of the EVO don't play well with 11s. Very easy to gouge the rear DS chainstay or to clamp down too hard with the rear QR. The rear dropouts are kinda delicate and designed with what seems like a non standard width (lightest dropout in production at 17g). Um, that said, Cannondale can be pretty responsive with warranty issues.