PDA

View Full Version : How much of a slice in a tire sidewall is too much?

moose8
05-02-2013, 06:29 PM
So on a descent this past weekend my front tire ran over something metal and sharp that sliced through the sidewall and caused a nice dramatic blowout sound. I booted it with a patch I had and a dollar bill and completed the ride. What I am wondering is if the tire is toast or if something like shoe goo or superglue might extend its useful life. It's a Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 with probably only like 600 miles on it. It was like $40 on clearance, but if there is a way to save it I would like to. That being said, if it's a hopeless cause I'll trash it.

charliedid
05-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Trash

OtayBW
05-02-2013, 06:30 PM
What I am wondering is if the tire is toast or if something like shoe goo or superglue might extend its useful life.
I think that's pretty much my criteria right there!

Steve in SLO
05-02-2013, 06:33 PM
You could boot it and use it as a rear tire on a cafe cruiser, but I would not do anything aggressive on it. That's a bad place for a puncture.

biker72
05-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Is a possible concussion or broken collar bone worth a $40 gamble???..:)
I'd get a new tire.

Ardan MacNessa
05-02-2013, 06:40 PM
I'll repair shallow slices in top tread but NEVER try to repair a sliced side wall. If it's to get me a few miles slowly to a place to call it quits, I'll place a dollar bill in the sidewall, re-inflate the tire after reparations to the tube and mosey along at 6 kph an hour. But I would never chance riding a sliced sidewall.

moose8
05-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Is a possible concussion or broken collar bone worth a $40 gamble???..:)
I'd get a new tire.

I'm going to go with not worth it. I figured as much, but I my inherent cheapness makes it painful to throw things away.

regularguy412
05-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Looks like your next trainer tire, there.

Mike in AR:beer: