PDA

View Full Version : ISO:: Thin socks!

LJohnny
05-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Howdy!

As the title says....

Background: I fell in love with the "metallic" Michael Jackson socks that came with my Sidi Ergo1. If you know them, they are the thinnest ones I've ever seen, yet mysteriously comfy.

Action:Anything thinner than the lightest DeFeet (i.e Air0eator-type) would be the ideal candidate.

Cheers!

maunahaole
05-02-2013, 03:52 PM
The rapha pro team socks are super thin. Very comfortable, but fragile.

http://www.rapha.cc/pro-team-socks

bluesea
05-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Giordana Trade socks

buldogge
05-02-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't know nuthin' 'bout no fancy socks...but...I use thin Champion Duo Fit socks from Tar'get...works fine for me.

I also use them as liner socks underneath wool when backpacking...FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

veloduffer
05-02-2013, 05:30 PM
I like the Bontrager socks. Thinner than many others that I have tried and you can get them in black or white and with or without cuff

kurto
05-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Descente socks are the thinnest I've got, and sometimes I think they're too thin. I now prefer the Champion C9 training socks: pretty thin, good wicking (poly/nylon), and 4pair/$10.

avalonracing
05-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Sole makes socks that are so thin I would say, "What's the point of wearing them?

Louis
05-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't know nuthin' 'bout no fancy socks...but...I use thin Champion Duo Fit socks from Tar'get...works fine for me.

Mark, what material are they made of? Any problem with them getting all sweaty?

shovelhd
05-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Enduro from Ribble in the three-pack. You can see through the mesh.

buldogge
05-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Hmm...Dunno. I just asked the wife to grab another pack, so I'll have look when I get the new ones.

Sweat...no issues I can think of...if you really want sweat control I would use wool. These are thin and dry quickly though.

-Mark

Mark, what material are they made of? Any problem with them getting all sweaty?

Lewis Moon
05-03-2013, 08:21 AM
This interests me, too. It's about to turn just blisteringly hot here in Fort Stinkin' Desert (a nod to anyone that can place that reference) and I'll need some new sox. I'm a complete skinflint so I absolutely refuse to pay more than ~ $2.00 ea for sox, but I have some specific requirements:
a) I want them to rise to about 1" over my ankle bone. Most 1/4 sox are too short.
b) solid color other than white.
c) no cotton; cheap cotton sox are an abomination.
d) no padding on the bottom. Why the hell companies think we want padded sox is beyond me.
e) way thin
f) no seam at the toe
g) if they come in a bundle they have to all match. I hate throwing out a pair if only one gets a hole.
h) light compression, if any at all.

I've had pretty good luck finding cheap sox that fit at least most of those parameters in close out-stores like Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls. The one thing I have to remember is; if I find sox I like, I need to buy ALL of them. They'll be gone the next day and replaced by sox with the same logo and name, but are completely different.

buldogge
05-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Looks like the newest version are sold as "running" socks and come in a 3-pk, 2 black pairs, 1 white pair...$8.99.

Package Quantity: 3
Sizing: Men
Features: Stretch fabric, Moisture wicking fabric
Material: 62 % Nylon, 34 % Polyester, 4 % Spandex
Care and Cleaning: Machine wash, warm Tumble dry, normal
Item Style: Liner Sock

http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-men-s-3pk-running-socks-black-white/-/A-14089301#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=champion+socks

-Mark

jmoore
05-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Those are too short for cycling.

Looks like the newest version are sold as "running" socks and come in a 3-pk, 2 black pairs, 1 white pair...$8.99.

Package Quantity: 3
Sizing: Men
Features: Stretch fabric, Moisture wicking fabric
Material: 62 % Nylon, 34 % Polyester, 4 % Spandex
Care and Cleaning: Machine wash, warm Tumble dry, normal
Item Style: Liner Sock

http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-men-s-3pk-running-socks-black-white/-/A-14089301#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=champion+socks

-Mark

LJohnny
05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Great info. Thanks!

I'll post a pick of the Sidi socks tomorrow for reference. I wish I new the material used in them, etc., but since these were sort of complimentary accessory to the shoes, there was no info on the material.

buldogge
05-03-2013, 09:06 AM
I'll have to give back the 5k miles from last year then...

Dunno...

-Mark

Those are too short for cycling.

Lewis Moon
05-03-2013, 09:28 AM
I'll have to give back the 5k miles from last year then...

Dunno...

-Mark

There's probably an "erase all" function on Strava and a reset button on your Garmin.

Get right on that.

buldogge
05-03-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't have those things either...I fail at the cycling. :help:

-Mark

There's probably an "erase all" function on Strava and a reset button on your Garmin.

Get right on that.

Louis
05-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Thanks Mark. I went to the Champion web site yesterday and couldn't find a "Duo" model and concluded that the C-9 was probably the equivalent in today's product line.

Bonus: Looks like they're made in the US, not Bangladesh or China. (Not that I would begrudge Bangladeshi workers a job, because goodness knows, they sure as heck need one, but these days it's more obvious than ever that many of them work in horrible conditions.)

yngpunk
05-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Have you looked at sock liners? I use them in combination with thick wool hiking socks to help prevent chaffing and blisters. Very thin and breathe well as well.