PDA

View Full Version : Good shop near Glencoe, IL?

akelman
05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I have a friend who just moved to Glencoe and needs to find a good shop (shoppe?) somewhere nearby. Is there a particularly good place somewhere on the North Shore? Thanks in advance for your help.

oliver1850
05-02-2013, 03:17 PM
If he's looking for the kind of place you and I would like, I'd guess Get a Grip is the best/closest bet. It's in the city, about 16 miles south but an easy connection on I-94. I haven't been there, but they have the right stuff. Maybe Adam will chime in.

I'd recommend Wheel Werks in Crystal Lake, but it's 35 miles away, nearly an hours drive. He can get there on Metra, but from Glencoe he'd have to go downtown to make the connection to the yellow line. Great little shop that sells Cannondale, Guru, Seven, BMC, and Look. Bob is a very experienced owner/fitter/salesman, who also happens to be friendly and easy to deal with. It's on the periphery of the metro area, so it would be a good place to ride from if he's looking to get out in the country.

BobC
05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Years ago RRB in Kenilworth was one of the best in that area.

A1CKot
05-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Every time I'm home I stop at Alberto's Cycles in Highland Park. Good people, good environment and they carry Serotta. I also like Activator Cycles for the small community shop feel. The ultimate for seeing some blinged out bike has to be Joie De Velo and as a plus Lake Forest sports cars is right down the street. I'm sure I'm missing some but these come to mind first. In fact I will be making my rounds when I'm on leave next week.

charliedid
05-02-2013, 05:59 PM
What sort of rider is he and what sort of shop does he like?

Alberto's in Highland Park - Historic shop that changed hands a number of years ago. Competent wrenches limited brands, parts and accessories...Solid

Higher Gear in Highland Park and Wilmette - Meh... Small shops family style full service. Owner bought it after orig partners split and one passed away. Boring.

Green Bay Cycles - Newish and growing small shop. Family style with some Pro (recently a Moots dealer) Solid

Velosmith - Best high end boutique. Seven, Parlee, Focus Cervelo Very small super high end owned by Tony Bustamante (Alberto's son) Tony worked at Seven for years and he and his wife run a great little shop. Think Signature or Above Category only smaller. Light on stock and very little clothing and so expect to special order. Excellent wrenches. High marks

Wheel and Sprocket. Evanston ( I work there currently) Former space of Turin for 40 years. We are an excellent full service family shop from kids to high end Trek BMC, Felt. First location outside of Wisconsin for this 40 year old company since Feb. this year. First Trek dealer in the country and it is our identity through and through. Our service is excellent and out wrenches are solid but in transition. We can turn around anything faster than any of the shops mentioned but we are by no means a "pro" shop in the traditional sense any longer. We sell Trek, Felt, BMC and are a friendly and knowledgeable bunch with zero attitude. Most employees also worked for Turin when it was in that location. Store manager is a racer type through and through and has been around race bikes a long long time. (Former partner at Turin) If fitting is an issue I'd say come see us or Tony at Velosmith.

I could go on and on so if needed feel free to PM me. All of these shops are within 8-10 miles of Glenco and Highland Park is next closest.

gavingould
05-02-2013, 06:57 PM
depends on what he's looking for...
I'd do Albertos or Velosmith if not coming into Chicago proper. I think there's a Performance up there somewhere if he just needs common stuff.

i've been in Chicago for 10 years and still haven't been in any of the north shore joints though i do ride up that way often.

A1CKot
05-02-2013, 10:19 PM
depends on what he's looking for...
I'd do Albertos or Velosmith if not coming into Chicago proper. I think there's a Performance up there somewhere if he just needs common stuff.

i've been in Chicago for 10 years and still haven't been in any of the north shore joints though i do ride up that way often.

The Performance is in Northbrook just before 41 turns into 94. I worked there when I was in high school. Haven't been back in 2 year though.

false_Aest
05-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Bah! I worked at that Performance too.

I worked at Alberto's. It's a first class shop. Seriously I've modeled a lot of my own managerial strategies off of what I learned from Brendan. Brendan bought the shop from Alberto Bustamante (sp?). Alberto's son, Tony, worked at Seven (IIRC) and then moved back to Wilmette to open up Velosmith.

Alberto's is north of Glencoe.
Wilmette is south.

IIRC Turin is re-opening somewhere in Chicagoland as well.

charliedid
05-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Bah! I worked at that Performance too.

I worked at Alberto's. It's a first class shop. Seriously I've modeled a lot of my own managerial strategies off of what I learned from Brendan. Brendan bought the shop from Alberto Bustamante (sp?). Alberto's son, Tony, worked at Seven (IIRC) and then moved back to Wilmette to open up Velosmith.

Alberto's is north of Glencoe.
Wilmette is south.

IIRC Turin is re-opening somewhere in Chicagoland as well.

Turin is open at Damen and Leland in Ravenswood.