PDA

View Full Version : Door Co., Wisconsin - Any idears????

OtayBW
05-01-2013, 08:56 PM
I've got to go to Valders, WI for a few days in a couple of weeks and was thinking about schlepping a bike up there for a few extra days of riding. Haven't seen anything posted here about Door Co. riding and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions for rides, places to go/stay/eat...anything. Probably would like to get in 50-90 mi in each day, plus or minus.

Thanks.

Louis
05-01-2013, 08:59 PM
A buddy of mine rides up there on his motorcycle every now and then, and he's mentioned to me that it might be good for cycling. If no locals chime in, I'll see if he has any suggestions.

charliedid
05-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Should be beautiful in a couple week and not yet crazy busy with tourists.

http://www.doorcounty.com/pdf/brochure/BikeMap.pdf

eddief
05-01-2013, 09:42 PM
routes here:

http://www.doorcountycentury.com/Default.aspx

thwart
05-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Peninsula Park is a great place to bike. Bluffs and great views, with several relatively short and steep hills.

You can ride from there across the peninsula to the Lake Michigan side via very lightly traveled rural roads. If you get a chance, check out the Ridges Sanctuary on that side, near Baileys Harbor... about 10 miles from the Park.

mbrtool
05-01-2013, 10:05 PM
We stay in Ephraim, around 42 just south County Q. The roads are quite nice compared to Chicago. I ride German Road East to 57;57 North to Q; take a right on Q which circles around to 57 again (about 10 miles); 57 South for about a half mile to County F/EE; turn right and stay on EE till 42. I then turn back. Total miles...40ish and you never hit a bump. All of the roads that I have taken are nice to super nice

Ray

Dave Wages
05-01-2013, 11:57 PM
If you go all the way up to the tip of Door Co. you can take a ferry over to Washington island. Probably not an everyday thing, but you could probably do a loop or two around the island. I can't remember the exact mileage, but it's very pretty. In my experience, the tricky thing in Door County is dealing with the wind, you can only go so far east to west without going into the water, so you have to get creative with your route planning. Almost all the secondary roads that I've been on are great for riding with the occasional stint on the busier main roads to get to the next quieter one.

Enjoy your trip,
Dave

kurto
05-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Should be beautiful in a couple week and not yet crazy busy with tourists.

http://www.doorcounty.com/pdf/brochure/BikeMap.pdf

What he said. Definitely take a bike. This time of year is beautiful, and if you're there on weekdays, the roads should be basically empty. If you're not locked into a place to stay yet, check out Sturgeon Bay: centrally located and good eats with a nice little downtown.

67-59
05-02-2013, 09:02 AM
I haven't been there for several years, but I suspect most any of the roads would be great for biking now. Tourist traffic doesn't really pick up until late June, and the main highways up and down the peninsula had a good surface, and shoulders much of the way.

In terms of restaurants, we'd always go to the Sister Bay Cafe in Sister Bay, and Julie's Cafe and Mr. Helsinki in Fish Creek.

Edit: If you're into coffee, skip the touristy Door County Coffee Company (unless you like flavors in your coffee). If you like decent quality espresso drinks, Drink Coffee in Sister Bay was my favorite.

As for stays, I'd go further north than Sturgeon Bay to Fish Creek or Sister Bay.

gospastic
05-02-2013, 09:45 AM
I have yet to take a bike up there...but I love Door Co. Roads are very nice. Make sure to visit Cave Point.

chwupper
05-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Uncanny -- I woke up this morning thinking about riding around Door County. I've never done it. Should be a total blast. I've stayed around Egg Harbor. Nice country roads on the interior. The coastal roads seem quite rideable; hilly at various places.

Have fun -- report back!

Alan
05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
See route info at link below. Sounds like fun. I haven't ridden there for many years.

http://www.doorcountycentury.com/Pages/57/Route_Maps.aspx

Alan

BSUdude
05-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Not much more to add except that I'm not too sure I would spend a lot of time planning routes, unless there are specific places you want to see or avoid. You'll get the lay of the land quite quickly, and frankly it would be pretty hard to get lost...you can only go so far without hitting the highway on one side of the peninsula or the other. Definitely ride Peninsula State Park.

OtayBW
05-02-2013, 03:08 PM
P-r-i-n-t-i-n-g t-h-i-s t-h-r-e-a-d a-s w-e s-p-e-a-k.

Thanks folks! Great info.

Craig Ryan
05-02-2013, 06:48 PM
I have family up there, and have been all over the place at different times. Get a map of the County, they are easy to get when up there for the tourist trade. Generally, the inland roads are flat with a mix of gravel and pavement, but mainly pavement. The Green Bay (west) side is a series of bluffs overlooking the bay. There are short climbs in and out of each of the little cities. Since you want to do some miles, I'd ride the interior roads. 42 and 57, the two main NS roads are not great for riding due to traffic. Like Dave said above, the road to the ferry is cool, it's the one that twists and people take photos of. Most of the villages are fun, but very tourist oriented. Ephraim is dry. The park is nice, but if you're looking for high miles it'll be limiting. Lots of up and down in there though. The roadside bars in the interior are all great, don't hesitate to take a break at one. You can wing it and have a great time.
Craig

Plum Hill
05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
I second the county bike map that charliedid recommended. All of the pink routes, both shoreline and interior, are good cycling routes. Highways are rideable but they get the majority of automobile traffic.
There are so many arrows from group rides on the roads, just pick one and follow the route.

If you have someone to drive your car to DC, you might want to consider riding Highway 42 and the side roads north from Manitowoc. Great lake scenery.

If you are into gravel riding, try the Ahnapee Trail.

As of 2011, there were two bike shops, one in Sturgeon Bay and one in Fish Creek.

For lodging, I like the Main St. Motel in Fish Creek. Locally owned, clean, quiet, restaurants nearby, great park to watch sunsets one block away, nice climb up the bluff on Cottage Row (take that to Hwy. 42, left into town for a great view of Green Bay on the descent).
Great places to eat all over. Try a supper club; they are public places.
I like trio restaurant in Egg Harbor.
Only two good grocery stores north of Sturgeon Bay. One in Egg Harbor, one in Sister Bay.
Night life is almost non-existent, another reason for staying in Fish Creek.
If you want to escape, do any state or county park that is accessed via a gravel road. Tourists stay away from them.

You might want to rent a sea kayak to check out the shoreline or the Mink River estuary at Rowleys Bay.

www.doorcounty.com for a brochure to plan in advance.
PM if you have further question; I lead bike tours there in the past.

Ahneida Ride
05-03-2013, 09:05 AM
If you go all the way up to the tip of Door Co. you can take a ferry over to Washington island. Probably not an everyday thing, but you could probably do a loop or two around the island. I can't remember the exact mileage, but it's very pretty. In my experience, the tricky thing in Door County is dealing with the wind, you can only go so far east to west without going into the water, so you have to get creative with your route planning. Almost all the secondary roads that I've been on are great for riding with the occasional stint on the busier main roads to get to the next quieter one.

Enjoy your trip,
Dave

Many moons ago ai did that on a rented scooter.
Great experience ..... do it!

I remember a sign posted.... Trespassers will be violated !

Wiss is great for Cycling .... I'll be out there in a few weeks.

rphetteplace
05-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Many moons ago ai did that on a rented scooter.
Great experience ..... do it!

I remember a sign posted.... Trespassers will be violated !

Wiss is great for Cycling .... I'll be out there in a few weeks.

.......great I'll round up the possie and start hiding our frn's now :)