PDA

View Full Version : A short ride in Florence

maxn
05-01-2013, 05:11 AM
We were supposed to go on a climbing trip to the South, near Ventoux with friends, but Velotel brought the terrible weather back with him from CO. Anyways, everyone agreed to put the trip off, so we came up with a last minute alternate plan: a trip to Florence! Florence was great, as usual but way too crowded at this time of year (duh). I managed to fit the Eriksen into the trunk and got up early one morning for a quick ride up some local hills. The first hill was up to Feisole, which was nice enough but a bit urban and boring. I turned around, descended and headed up a much nicer climb -- to Vincigliata. Despite it being short, I loved this one -- good pavement, winding through forests and olive groves. After the climbing was done, I saw a cobbled alley rising steeply to a sharp left hand turn. Of course I couldn't resist, despite not knowing what lay beyond the first turn. It turned out to be very steep (mid 20s?) and all on cobbles, but there's a great view of the city a small viewing area 200m up the road. Short video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukeLJNsuvo0

Tim Porter
05-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Nice, have spent much time there. Going back soon, I hope.

maxn
05-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Any tips for where to ride, not too far from the city center?

I wanted to visit Cicli Formigli but was already pushing my luck with the ride :)

cdn_bacon
05-01-2013, 07:39 AM
thanks for sharing!

tiretrax
05-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Great idea. The hill towns to the south are great and much less crowded.