PDA

View Full Version : Firefly on Tumblr

eddief
04-29-2013, 11:38 PM
I ain't never looked at tumblr before stumblng onto the Firefly site. Some of the finest bike sh*t photos ever:

http://fireflybicycles.tumblr.com/

reggiebaseball
04-29-2013, 11:54 PM
masters of social media

beeatnik
04-30-2013, 01:09 AM
What if the pictures look better than the real deal? It's tough to accurately represent bead blasting. Pics I've seen taken by owners dont look as stunning. A lot of smudges on those frames. Of course, that's just the surface aesthetics (redundancy?) of the bikes.

tigoat
04-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Firefly is certainly a top notch builder but if you were to apply the same high quality photo presentation on a Moots, Eriksen, etc. then you would get the same stunning workmanship to show if not better. Firefly's photo presentation is second to none IMO.

Hls2k6
04-30-2013, 05:53 AM
What if the pictures look better than the real deal? It's tough to accurately represent bead blasting. Pics I've seen taken by owners dont look as stunning. A lot of smudges on those frames. Of course, that's just the surface aesthetics (redundancy?) of the bikes.

So wait, bikes don't always look as nice as when cleaned, polished, and photographed in a studio with professional lighting? Man, Firefly really is cutting edge. I hope other manufacturers don't see this post and steal their techniques.

Tony T
04-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Better pic's on Flicker (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybicycles/)

jr59
04-30-2013, 07:06 AM
masters of social media

Not that I mind, but it is very true.^^

eddief
04-30-2013, 07:30 AM
could you find a reason to talk trash on this simple and non-controversial topic.

54ny77
04-30-2013, 07:38 AM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/ThePaceline.png (http://s191.photobucket.com/user/jpmz06/media/Bike/ThePaceline.png.html)

shovelhd
04-30-2013, 07:52 AM
OMG there's holes in the frame.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 08:56 AM
nobody's talking trash, but now I will.

Firefly has their own showcase thread here, where every other day they pop out photos and a throng of people (most of whom probably will never ride a firefly) talk about how they are the best bikes on earth.

Meanwhile what they are really saying is "oooh, anodizing is so pretty and revolutionary,"
or perhaps
"BB30 cranks and a tapered 1.5" HT look so proper on a size 48 bike made for a 115lb rider, he must ride HARD!"

Firefly caters to internet marketing, and their picture threads often lead to praise that has little to do with what a bike is about (ie, how it rides). If they really rode so great, I wonder if they would pop up on eBay so often...

Regardless, people can say good or ill about Firefly all day long, and they will still have a 6 month wait list for internet dweebs.

Sometimes a brand, that should be admired if it was underground, just becomes too "showcase," see Baum for details.

DreaminJohn
04-30-2013, 09:08 AM

Firefly has their own showcase thread here, where every other day they pop out photos and a throng of people (most of whom probably will never ride a firefly) talk about how they are the best bikes on earth.

Meanwhile what they are really saying is "oooh, anodizing is so pretty and revolutionary,"
or perhaps
"BB30 cranks and a tapered 1.5" HT look so proper on a size 48 bike made for a 115lb rider, he must ride HARD!"

Firefly caters to internet marketing, and their picture threads often lead to praise that has little to do with what a bike is about (ie, how it rides). If they really rode so great, I wonder if they would pop up on eBay so often...

Regardless, people can say good or ill about Firefly all day long, and they will still have a 6 month wait list for internet dweebs.

Sometimes a brand, that should be admired if it was underground, just becomes too "showcase," see Baum for details.

This is a General Discussion Forum. I really, truly get that. It's actually why I (mostly) lurk here. But does every f'ing thread have to go negative?

The OP basically said, "hey, check out these awesome pics". Call me crazy, but I think think you'd be hard pressed NOT to think those pics were awesome. Can't we celebrate that? Why is the resting place at which we arrive always one of dissension?

In all fairness, Firefly is my go-to choice should I hit the lottery this evening. But this pattern is rather pervasive any more.

ergott
04-30-2013, 09:16 AM
OMG there's holes in the frame.

I don't see that is either good or bad considering what you are referring to. I truly think that Serotta does more titanium tube manipulation than most if not all out there. Most of it is internal. I've seen/held/ridden them first hand and can attest. On the flip side, that doesn't mean that no one else can make those holes. I don't know just how different will be at that location on other maker's bikes, but that's why I let them handle the details.

Beautiful bikes/presentation. Never heard anyone who has ridden one complain. I'd get one if I had the chance.

false_Aest
04-30-2013, 09:16 AM
If they really rode so great, I wonder if they would pop up on eBay so often...

brah,

You can say this about a lot of brands.

As of right now I spot 0 fireflies on ebay, 1 Sachs, 8 IFs, 20 Sevens and 21 Serottas.

I've never ridden a Firefly but your logic, or at least the way you're phrasing things, is flawed.

____

As for the photography. It's OK. It's what can be done with a decent set-up and a white balance card. It should be the MINIMUM of how frame builders showcase their ****.

I've ranted about this before: too many people think they're photographs and end up doing their product a disservice by getting **** photos into the interwebs.

If you're selling your craft do it right or hire someone who can.

*this is coming from someone who makes a living off of photography.

Tyler Evans
04-30-2013, 09:18 AM

or perhaps

Thanks for that.

We (3 people) build, design, photograph, and operate the entire business.

Our bikes are straight, light, strong and fit the rider. Not to mention they are well made with many, many years of experience behind them.

We don't cater to internet marketing. We market on the internet. There is a difference. We provide original quality content daily and put it out there.

And, BTW we get plenty of praises from our customers, many of them quite personal... and the lead time is 8 months.

Anyway, I prefer to look at the tumblr in it's archive form to get the whole scope: HERE. (http://fireflybicycles.tumblr.com/archive)

Thanks for checking it out.

Tyler.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 09:23 AM
If this was an audio forum, and someone posted about how Bose is awesome, you would have a similar reply.
If this was a film forum and you posted that avatar 3d is a penultimate filmaccomplishment,
or if this was a basketball forum and you posted about Blake griffin being the best power forward .

These are all annoying statements to the serious scholar of any of these disciplines.

They are all pretty and well marketed products that are elevated in the public opinion because of "wow" factors unrelated to the actual content.

Firefly still makes great bikes, Bose makes speakers people love and avatar 3d made millions, but that doesn't mean I want an accountant to explain this nonsense to me on a flight while reading about these products in his SkyMall catalogue

roguedog
04-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Where's the Like button?

Thanks, John. I agree. Firefly looks like a group of guys who love their job , are darn good at their jobs and it looks like they're doing a darn good job of running their own biz. They've done an amazing job after being in the market (as a new biz) for such a short time.

Here's to more awesome bikes out there!

This is a General Discussion Forum. I really, truly get that. It's actually why I (mostly) lurk here. But does every f'ing thread have to go negative?

The OP basically said, "hey, check out these awesome pics". Call me crazy, but I think think you'd be hard pressed NOT to think those pics were awesome. Can't we celebrate that? Why is the resting place at which we arrive always one of dissension?

In all fairness, Firefly is my go-to choice should I hit the lottery this evening. But this pattern is rather pervasive any more.

Tony T
04-30-2013, 09:32 AM
If this was an audio forum, and someone posted about how Bose is awesome, you would have a similar reply.

Love my Wave Radio :banana:

...and if this were an audio forum, alternatives would be mentioned. Did you mention any alternatives, or just crap on the one you don't like?

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 09:48 AM
He posted more firefly pics
I said "meh, more firefly pics"
that is not crapping on anyone
if he posted a link to a review comparing the Firefly to other bikes from someone who has ridden one, that would interest me more. The 1,000,000,000,000th tweeter blast or cycleexif article, less so.

When I crapped on them (later) it was regarding their "style" which I don't like.
But they make great bikes so no alternatives are needed!

If you like firefly you might also like baum (I don't)

if you want a no bull$hit ti bike , well there are other options,
but even moots now does bb30 :help:nonsense. No paint or anodization though.

Firefly is web 3.0, Twitter tweets and pretty pics. Lots of quick style hits and facebook, opinions from people who dont have them but want them.

Finally, if you want this snob's admiration: Steve Potts, Scott Eriksen or Darren Crisp.

Look, I own Pegorettis and the same could be said of that brand, maybe it was said all the time a few years ago,
It doesn't mean Pegs and Firefly's dont both rock.
Just right now, for a few minutes, I am "over" getting psyched about them (Firefly I mean, I still get psyched about Pegs - got any twitter photos to share?)

As far as your Wave radio... just don't sit too close to it when you are wearing your tinfoil hat or the messages will start coming through again.

Tony T
04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
....still no indication of what you ride.;)

LegendRider
04-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Firefly is certainly a top notch builder but if you were to apply the same high quality photo presentation on a Moots, Eriksen, etc. then you would get the same stunning workmanship to show if not better. Firefly's photo presentation is second to none IMO.

I've never owned a Firefly, Moots or Eriksen - just seen them up close or in photos. I'm genuinely curious what you believe Moots or Eriksen does better than Firefly.

Hls2k6
04-30-2013, 09:56 AM
These are all annoying statements...

If your posts are an elaborate ruse where you're creating a caricature to embody all of your complaints about internet forum participants, particularly the above quote, then well played, indeed, sir. Somehow, I doubt it, though...

Since you're calling people out for commenting about bikes they've never owned, I'll tell you I own, ride, and race a Firefly. This whole conversation is just stupid, because of your assumption that being great at marketing a bike is somehow incompatible with making an equally-great bike. It ain't.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 10:00 AM
If your posts are an elaborate ruse where you're creating a caricature to embody all of your complaints about internet forum participants, particularly the above quote, then well played, indeed, sir. Somehow, I doubt it, though...

Since you're calling people out for commenting about bikes they've never owned, I'll tell you I own, ride, and race a Firefly. This whole conversation is just stupid, because of your assumption that being great at marketing a bike is somehow incompatible with making an equally-great bike. It ain't.

so tell us how it rides why dont you?
I would be happy to hear that.

Or, give me the ebay item # when you list it and I will bid on it.:)

I said, they may make a great bike, but I am sick of their marketing, that's all. It turns me "off" to their great bike.

If I can agree that their bikes are awesome, and you agree that they are over-exposed and hyper-marketed - then I think we get along!

zetroc
04-30-2013, 10:05 AM
My favorite part of your posts is where you insinuated that everyone in Firefly's queue is a dweeb. Where's that block button?

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 10:05 AM
....still no indication of what you ride.;)

I own three steel Pegorettis, a MArcelo, Duende, and a Luigino being built
I own a Ti Moot Compact,
A Carbon Look 595 (sold),
An AL lobular orbea,

I think that Firefly's probably ride awesome, better than awesome.

if I saw someone on one, I would think "bike puff" before I thought "bike afficianado"

maybe it would be the pretty anodization, maybe it would be because he is 5'2 and 120 lbs yet his bike has a huge tapered 1.5" HT and BB30 bottom bracket.

so who cares? I am entitled to my opinion, which was a quite modest "nice marketing" until I was further drawn out by your ire.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 10:09 AM
My favorite part of your posts is where you insinuated that everyone in Firefly's queue is a dweeb. Where's that block button?

no, I said regardless of what I may post on any forum, they will still have 6 months worth of dweebs.

I am sure there are plenty of non-dweebs mixed in there too,

Tony T
04-30-2013, 10:10 AM
maybe it would be the pretty anodization, maybe it would be because he is 5'2 and 120 lbs yet his bike has a huge tapered 1.5" HT and BB30 bottom bracket.

2nd time you said this. I still don't understand the comment.

cfox
04-30-2013, 10:11 AM

or perhaps

^^holy crap, you are actually invoking the hipster/high school "band that went mainstream" argument here. Too funny. Tyler and co. have been building high-end bikes for years. Anyone who knows anything knows the bike will be built right and ride right. So what if they are pretty and get fawned over? And it's 2013; if you aren't using social media as an outlet to promote your business, you are an effing moron.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
don;t worry, I know Firefly's must be the best.
I was told so by:

Lovelybike
Prolly is not Probably
Cyclr
cuture Bicycles
CycleExif

all within the past few weeks.
I have a Firefly hangover, sue me.

What I really want is to get a firefly, then paint all the non Anodized bits to match the gulf stream Baum, then tweet about it to the Bike Tart.

christian
04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
I own three steel Pegorettis, a MArcelo, Duende, and a Luigino being built
Just to be clear, these are those mediocre heavy steel Italian jobs with over-the-top fancy paintjobs and insane pricing? Anyone riding those must be a wanker.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
2nd time you said this. I still don't understand the comment.

Firefly's builds show an eagerness to appease the silly requests of their clients, and not a respect for their material.

a Titanium bike does not need an uber-oversized HT, 1.5" tapered fork, or BB30 bottom bracket for almost anyone, certainly not for a lightweight riding a size 52 bicycle. Their Ti bikes often look like they were ordered by a tiny Napoleon who ticked off every "option" on the upgrades list,
not like a bike crafted to actually suit a tiny rider.

KBedford does this too, BB30, ISP, any still thing you ask for, and he is supposed to be one of the best bike builders on earth, so what do I know.

The customer is always right.

Tony T
04-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Firefly's builds show an eagerness to appease the silly requests of their clients.

The Bastards! ;)

Nooch
04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Reggie needs a snickers, everyone, and a good ride on one of his awesome bikes to get the crankiness out.

I hope it's sunny in your neck of the woods and you enjoy the ride, dude. Seems you've got some angst to work through today.

I've never ridden a firefly, likely won't. I can appreciate that they did something 'different' with the ti when they started anodizing their logo -- then they started anodizing other cool designs. I'm sure with the pedigree at the torch they ride as good (personal opinion) as they look.

I dig the aesthetic. but then again i bought my first caad9 becuase of the flat black paint, without ever riding it. so maybe I'm not such a good judge.

All I can tell you is that there is an emotional response when I look at my bike that makes me want to ride it. It's not until I'm out on the road that I remember all the reasons why I'm riding it -- it's the emotional response that keeps getting me out the door.

So does it matter that they showcase their aesthetic and that the other internet dweebs swoon?

a Titanium bike does not need an uber-oversized HT, 1.5" tapered fork, or BB30 bottom bracket for almost anyone, certainly not for a lightweight riding a size 52 bicycle. Their Ti bikes often look like they were ordered by a tiny Napoleon who ticked off every "option" on the upgrades list,
not like a bike crafted to actually suit a tiny rider.

Reggie -- I'm 5'6", 210 lbs, like my bikes stiff and responsive, like big tubes, have a respectable sprint and a pretty good FTP... I ride a tiny size 52 frame.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Just to be clear, these are those mediocre heavy steel Italian jobs with over-the-top fancy paintjobs and insane pricing? Anyone riding those must be a wanker.

I said already that the same exact arguments could be made about my bikes. Both on the aesthetics issues, and the marketing/hype issues.

I happen to like the ride and find them collectible, and I think you can certainly barf if I start linking twitter tweets and facebook blarfs from Dario.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 10:30 AM
The Bastards! ;)

look, they are not harmed in the least by one guy on the internet being sick of them.

In a year or two someone will supplant them on my "currently sick of" list

If you need Firefly love, then go to their showcase thread here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=105319

They have 48,000 views in the past 12 months of unadultered adoration there.
First up, a size 46 "sport touring" bicycle, with of course, a tapered 1.5" HT to allow for an uber stiff carbon fork with no eyelets.

Incidentally if the OP was posting his own bike in the Gallery I wouldn't have pi$$ed in his cornflakes, that would be rude. But since he threw up a "hey Firefly is killing it" thread, I felt I could reply as I felt.

xjoex
04-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Wow... people need to chillax. They take great pics and make great bikes.

Go for a ride, make yourself breath harder than you have in months. You won't care about crap like this after.

-Joe

shovelhd
04-30-2013, 11:14 AM
I don't see that is either good or bad considering what you are referring to. I truly think that Serotta does more titanium tube manipulation than most if not all out there. Most of it is internal. I've seen/held/ridden them first hand and can attest. On the flip side, that doesn't mean that no one else can make those holes. I don't know just how different will be at that location on other maker's bikes, but that's why I let them handle the details.

Beautiful bikes/presentation. Never heard anyone who has ridden one complain. I'd get one if I had the chance.

It was a lame attempt at sarcasm. Serotta gets blasted for putting holes in their frames for Di2.

The pictures are very well done. There's nothing wrong with marketing using any and every media channel. That's kind of the point.

I have never ridden a Firefly but I have seen a few of them in my fields. Very pretty, well executed, not typically my kind of aesthetics but that is just me.

If I had the chance I'd own a Gaulzetti, but then I'd get blasted because the Jerk doesn't build his frames.

From everything I have heard, your wheels are top shelf.

crownjewelwl
04-30-2013, 11:17 AM
since we're being picky...

it's "if this were"...subjunctive mood

If this was a film forum and you posted that avatar 3d is a penultimate filmaccomplishment,
or if this was a basketball forum and you posted about Blake griffin being the best power forward .

These are all annoying statements to the serious scholar of any of these disciplines.

They are all pretty and well marketed products that are elevated in the public opinion because of "wow" factors unrelated to the actual content.

Firefly still makes great bikes, Bose makes speakers people love and avatar 3d made millions, but that doesn't mean I want an accountant to explain this nonsense to me on a flight while reading about these products in his SkyMall catalogue

eddief
04-30-2013, 11:20 AM
my original posting was obvious misplaced anger for things that are going in other parts of my life.

shovelhd
04-30-2013, 11:21 AM
felt

Leave my bike out of this.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 11:24 AM
since we're being picky...

it's "if this were"...subjunctive mood

as in
"if this were a grammer forum we would both be even lamer than we are right now."

I think maybe people would lighten up if I put more smiley faces in my posts.

Here is big Nooch with his 3" HT on a 52cm steel bike riding over me:bike:

beeatnik
04-30-2013, 11:35 AM
So wait, bikes don't always look as nice as when cleaned, polished, and photographed in a studio with professional lighting? Man, Firefly really is cutting edge. I hope other manufacturers don't see this post and steal their techniques.

Jussayin that there are probably a lot of cats who are buying a Firefly as their first Ti bike and the aesthetics are a big selling point, along with the ride quality obviously. If you've owned a nice CF bike and owned a nice steel bike, you get used to not having to wipe the thing down after every ride. An SV with a typical rad powdercoat will look good for weeks between cleanings. You can't say that about certain Ti finishes. IMO, a guy who just dropped 10 Gs on a build will not want his bike to look like a spotted mess after every ride.

Surely, a Firefly is an awesome bike and all things being equal as nice as a Moots, Eriksen, Spectrum, Serotta, et al. Just don't think they're as pretty as folks believe.

Moots after 2 weeks of riding:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8077/8395518859_9b1565c7e2.jpg

Prepped for sale Firefly:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8124/8696561724_f3224858bd.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xxjahxx/sets/72157632550008131/show/

crownjewelwl
04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
as in
"if this were a grammer forum we would both be even lamer than we are right now."

I think maybe people would lighten up if I put more smiley faces in my posts.

Here is big Nooch with his 3" HT on a 52cm steel bike riding over me:bike:

flagpole...3pm...be there

and it is grammar...

ergott
04-30-2013, 12:34 PM

As a scholar you are aware that Tyler's experience goes back to 96/97 at Merlin. Then he did 13 years at IF. The Firefly brand is relatively new and entered the scene with a bang, but its not some startup that has no serious history in the business. Using Firefly in the same sentence as Bose is a disservice to the name.

I just don't get the hate on any brand that someone has no first hand experience with. If you purchased a Firefly and had a bad experience, didn't like the bike or whatever I would be all ears. Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism, but I don't know if this is the best outlet for it.

ergott
04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
It was a lame attempt at sarcasm. Serotta gets blasted for putting holes in their frames for Di2.

I know. :beer:

I just saw where this thread was heading and was expecting a bigger pile-on with regards to that point.

William
04-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Tyler and the gang are great at getting the Firefly message out to the masses, nothing wrong with that. They also have plenty of experience in the biz to back it up.

Beyond that if they speak to you...great. If they don't, there's nothing wrong with that either.

William

54ny77
04-30-2013, 12:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImZTwYwCug

Hls2k6
04-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Firefly's builds show an eagerness to appease the silly requests of their clients, and not a respect for their material.

This is the dumbest statement in this thread, and man is that saying something.

My experience, rather than speculation, is that Firefly communicated with me about bike design on a serious, thorough, and highly-intelligent level. I base this on 15 years experience in the bike industry and a lifetime of riding and racing bikes.

Kevin and I worked together to design the best-handling bike I've ever owned. As a total anecdotal comment (okay, brag), I finished building the bike at 12:30 p.m. on a Saturday, raced it at 1:45, and won my first race of 2013 in a solo breakaway about an hour later.

As to the issues raised above, which constitute less than 5% of the design and geometry discussion, Firefly told me the following:

1) Get a PF30 BB:

Because I am 6'5", 175 .lbs, and will be racing the bike, Firefly chose fairly massive seat and down tubes for me. They explained that a PF30 BB, because of its over sized shell, would be advisable to avoid needing to manipulate such tubes to fit at the BB.

They also reassured me about creaking concerns based on Kevin's own experiences with his PF30 bike. So far, they were spot on.

2) Don't bother with an integrated Headset:

On the basis of the head tube length and fork we selected, Firefly advised me that the only reason to use an integrated headset would be looks and to not bother. So I didn't.

3) Get an ISP only for aesthetics:

Firefly told me that an ISP might give a tiny-bit more solid feel in a big bike like mine (86 cm seat height from center of BB), but very likely won't even do that.

Truly, they said, the only reason to bother is if I love the unified look. I do, so I went for it. And I love it.

As another aside, Firefly recommended such a big seat tube diameter that we had to go for an aftermarket ISP topper. Kevin at Firefly helped me research and select the best one, consulting with other contacts in the framebuilding industry (including Gaulzetti and some of their team members) to do so. His recommendation, a PMP, was spot on.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 02:18 PM
As a scholar you are aware that Tyler's experience goes back to 96/97 at Merlin. Then he did 13 years at IF. The Firefly brand is relatively new and entered the scene with a bang, but its not some startup that has no serious history in the business. Using Firefly in the same sentence as Bose is a disservice to the name.

I just don't get the hate on any brand that someone has no first hand experience with. If you purchased a Firefly and had a bad experience, didn't like the bike or whatever I would be all ears. Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism, but I don't know if this is the best outlet for it.

Bose Audio has been in the business since 1964, and was founded by an MIT graduate who studied acoustics. I would say I honor Firefly by using them in the same sentence.

ergott
04-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Bose Audio has been in the business since 1964, and was founded by an MIT graduate who studied acoustics. I would say I honor Firefly by using them in the same sentence.

Touche.

I've also heard Bose first hand and there's no shortage of reviews regarding their sound quality out there. I've yet to hear of anyone that was disappointed with their bike. That doesn't mean there never has been such an experience. I'm in the camp of "they are doing something right" until I hear otherwise that's all.

:beer:

pdmtong
04-30-2013, 02:55 PM
it's a little off topic but I don't like the Bose sound curve especially manifested in the wave radio or the ubiquitous airplane headphones. For me there is an over-emphasis on the low and high. Then again, there are just physical limits to what can be accomplished with an array of small drivers versus what can be accomplished with a dedicated 12"+ cone. so, I am not one that looks at Bose with any great admiration. Others do, different strokes.

Back to the discussion: Tyler's pedigree speaks for itself. The photography, we all agree, is emotive.

I can see the thinking in Reggie's posts. While I am sure they generate a reaction, his position isn't a call for all defenders of Firefly to come forth. We can all discuss.

I would welcome any Firefly input into this forum instead of simply adding photos to the Firefly thread. On the occasion that dave wages/kirk weigh in on threads, and even Richard more recently, it makes this forum better. For example, getting Firefly's thoughts on the drill/no drill discussion would be insightful.

54ny77
04-30-2013, 02:58 PM
maybe firefly can offer bose noise canceling headphones with each frame purchase so as to, for example, filter the background noise.

torquer
04-30-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm genuinely curious what you believe Moots or Eriksen does better than Firefly.
Wild-ass guess on my part: they'll put you on a new bike before Christmas.:)
But that's no reason to hate Firefly.

nmrt
04-30-2013, 03:18 PM
i never participate in such discussions. i guess it is because it do not have strong opinions on bike aesthetics/engineering.

but what i do not get is why do people get so passionate about proving someone wrong (or right) in a forum especially when the discussion is all subjective.

if someone does not like a certain aspect of a certain bike company, i feel he is entitled to his opinion. i mean, i would certainly argue with him if he said the 1 + 1 is not 2.

but i guess this is what makes this forum lively -- the passions and beliefs of people. I, for one, certainly welcome the subjectivity in our discussions.

wooly
04-30-2013, 05:35 PM
I can see the thinking in Reggie's posts. While I am sure they generate a reaction, his position isn't a call for all defenders of Firefly to come forth. We can all discuss.

I haven't read a 4 page thread from start to finish in months. Reggie makes me laugh and those that take offense do too. Grammer errors and all. :)

FWIW - I dig FF's photos and their pedigree is there. I'm fat and out of shape but I'd still buy one.

Jack Brunk
04-30-2013, 06:06 PM
I think their undervalued. It's one of the only bikes I've really been connected to as soon as my butt touches the seat. Great design, materials and the overall skills to make a bespoke frame.

Thanks Guys.

killerrabbit
04-30-2013, 06:18 PM
friggin beautiful bikes. always awesome to see one in person, too.

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 06:24 PM
I think their undervalued. It's one of the only bikes I've really been connected to as soon as my butt touches the seat. Great design, materials and the overall skills to make a bespoke frame.

Thanks Guys.

That would put me on the waiting list right now.
Jack knows bikes, and first hand.

rphetteplace
05-02-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm pretty good friends with Mike DeSalvo. He likes Firefly stuff quite a bit and speaks highly of Tyler & co. You can't bull**** a builder.