PDA

View Full Version : New, to me, Sachs

arazate
04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm relatively new here, with my interaction limited to only a few of you. Everyone has been very gracious, and thoughtful.

During the last few years, I've been keeping an eye out for a Richard Sachs frame; and today, I found one. It was on ebay, a build from the early 80's...I'll tell you, I was a bit surprised at what I paid for it. I realize it has a 126mm rear, but I can certainly live with that. And the color is not the now classic, red and white.

Did I miss something? I would have thought a lot more interest.

I hate to think I was too quick on the draw.......Cheers, AJ

http://tinyurl.com/bm7ycm4

cnighbor1
04-29-2013, 05:14 PM
I had a late 70's RS bicycle FS I got very little question let alone offers Not sure why but early one sure do bring much bidding
And at price you got it for a real bargin
Charles Nighbor

timto
04-29-2013, 05:20 PM
great score! If that was a 54 i would have bid! Congrats. Many happy miles on it. Looks great too - i like that it's not red :)

Aaron O
04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
The older ones can really range on price...few would leave that to auction.

fuzzalow
04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Do not be concerned about being too quick on the draw, you paid a fair price for that frame. The name on the down tube from any custom builder is not worth as much as you might be encouraged to believe as from the reading of this and some other bike forums. Plus it is a 126 which also detracts from the value of the frame.

If it fits you it will ride well. Enjoy it.

In road bikes, the only name that gets a guaranteed premium and desireability is a Confente with documented provenance. And those bikes are not bought to be ridden.

Louis
04-29-2013, 05:55 PM
In road bikes, the only name that gets a guaranteed premium and desireability is a Confente with documented provenance. And those bikes are not bought to be ridden.

I'm no expert, but I'd say Masi also.

gregj
04-29-2013, 06:02 PM
That's a screaming deal. I know many people here go for the latest/modern stuff, but I bet that bike will ride just as well, if not better, than most. It just will be a little heavier, that's all. And it will limit you to a 7-speed freewheel, but you can always respace it to 130 if you want.

Congrats on a score:banana:

FlashUNC
04-29-2013, 06:05 PM
I think that's a pretty great deal. Would look great with some early 80's Super Record.

ctcyclistbob
04-29-2013, 06:09 PM
You did great, arazate.

It's a classic frame and looks to be in real nice shape. Enjoy it.

arazate
04-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks gents for the all the comments and advice. It's an unexpected build for me; I just received my Kirk from Cat6...one hell of a frameset! That's on the top of my list for building up.

flashUNC, great idea going classic. I was thinking about cold setting, but letting it be seems to be the right decision. Now the parts search begins :-)

Cheers,
AJ

vav
04-29-2013, 06:37 PM
FWIW I bid on this one and didn't get it. Can't remember exactly the winning bid but it was around $ 700. Funny thing the seller was/is a member here and I offered him more money to cancel the ebay auction and he decided to let it run. I think you did pretty good. So AJ, if for any reason it doesn't work for you, send it my way ;)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2u5ysde.jpg

I'm relatively new here, with my interaction limited to only a few of you. Everyone has been very gracious, and thoughtful.

During the last few years, I've been keeping an eye out for a Richard Sachs frame; and today, I found one. It was on ebay, a build from the early 80's...I'll tell you, I was a bit surprised at what I paid for it. I realize it has a 126mm rear, but I can certainly live with that. And the color is not the now classic, red and white.

Did I miss something? I would have thought a lot more interest.

I hate to think I was too quick on the draw.......Cheers, AJ

http://tinyurl.com/bm7ycm4

arazate
04-29-2013, 06:48 PM
VAV, you'll be the first I call:)

Aaron O
04-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Just to add to the older Sachs chat:

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/IMG_3408.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/IMG_0902.jpg

that guy
04-29-2013, 09:02 PM
FWIW I bid on this one and didn't get it. Can't remember exactly the winning bid but it was around $ 700. Funny thing the seller was/is a member here and I offered him more money to cancel the ebay auction and he decided to let it run. I think you did pretty good. So AJ, if for any reason it doesn't work for you, send it my way ;)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2u5ysde.jpg

Yup. That was me. Next time I'll take you up on your offer! :crap:

It was about $700, with Paul centerpull brakes included.

cat6
04-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Vinayakan became famous as a dancer. His own troupe used to perform in various stages across Kerala. Thampi Kannanthanam was impressed with his dancing skills and gave him a small role in his film Manthrikam. Vinayakan imitated Michael Jackson in this movie and became popular among Malayalam audiences.

gomango
04-30-2013, 05:29 AM
"Did I miss something? I would have thought a lot more interest.

I hate to think I was too quick on the draw.......Cheers, AJ"

Good morning AJ!

Oh, I watched it like a hawk, but I just can't justify another frameset at the moment.

We have a big family trip to Europe looming this summer and I still have a few more items to sell as it is.

Congrats on your purchase. What a nice deal for you. :)

arazate
04-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Hey Grady!!!!!

I'm glad I removed the temptation.

Enjoy Europe! I'm heading back to Germany next week on business; weather should be better this time.

I'm enjoying the Merckx! Had a stellar Sunday ride.

All the best,
AJ

reggiebaseball
04-30-2013, 07:16 PM
good grab!
I bet that bike will be a blast to build up and ride.

gomango
04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Hey Grady!!!!!

I'm glad I removed the temptation.

Enjoy Europe! I'm heading back to Germany next week on business; weather should be better this time.

I'm enjoying the Merckx! Had a stellar Sunday ride.

All the best,
AJ

So happy you are enjoying that beauty!

Have a great trip. We spend most of our time in Bayern!

Cheers,

Grady

fatallightning
04-30-2013, 10:23 PM
I work at the shop that sells that. The mismatched paint fork may have knocked off some bucks, as this is pre JB paint. Still quite a looker. I usually shoot the nice frames, but this came in on my day off. I usually do a better job of showing lug detailing, BB finishing etc. Same chap we sold this frame for has sold a Vamoots, a NOS Merckx Corsa Extra, a NOS Rambouillet and a complete A. Homer Hilsen as well a pile of vintage Campy stuff. Dream hoarder!