PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding Vaude backpacks in USA

jberenyi
04-29-2013, 12:47 PM
I've searched the best I can and cannot find a US dealer for these really nice backpacks. I need the Vaude Alpin 30+5 model in black. The only one I found in the US is BikeBagShop.com in AZ buts he's has no stock for two weeks or more. If his site says 1-2 weeks to ship then he's out. The older models are smaller so I want the 2013 edition. Bike Inn has them in Europe if you want to spend $78 on DHL shipping! If someone has a line on them please let me know.

alessandro
04-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Call or email the Outdoor Gear Exchange, 888-547-4327 or http://gearx.com/. In addition to being a terrific local store they do a substantial online business. They may have a connection to Vaude if they sell any significant volume.

buldogge
04-29-2013, 01:02 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z07D1O/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B006LGSA5E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1D1NWW12NBVXCH5R4T5B

-Mark in St. Louis

gdw
04-29-2013, 01:03 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z07D1O/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B006LGSA5E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1B3ERES1CDNEYE4VH1Q1

They have 1 left.

jberenyi
04-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the Amazon tip guys. I'm not a Prime member so with shipping this puppy will be $165. Too much for my wallet :(

crownjewelwl
04-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the Amazon tip guys. I'm not a Prime member so with shipping this puppy will be $165. Too much for my wallet :(

prime wouldnt work for that anyway since it is a 3rd party seller!

jberenyi
04-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Gave these guys a call and they don't carry this. So it would be a special order and weeks out at $136 free shipping. No telling when it would come in though.

Call or email the Outdoor Gear Exchange, 888-547-4327 or http://gearx.com/. In addition to being a terrific local store they do a substantial online business. They may have a connection to Vaude if they sell any significant volume.

jberenyi
04-29-2013, 01:27 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z07D1O/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B006LGSA5E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1D1NWW12NBVXCH5R4T5B

-Mark in St. Louis

This model is a 2013 due to the length in size being 20.5"

verticaldoug
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
30 cu in pack is basically day/over nighter and a dime a dozen. Why not just go to your local shop and look around for something nice. Osprey, Gregory, TNF, Marmot, Lowe, Arcteryx, BD even REI all make good packs. I don't think Vaude is anything special.

Likes2ridefar
04-29-2013, 01:52 PM
30 cu in pack is basically day/over nighter and a dime a dozen. Why not just go to your local shop and look around for something nice. Osprey, Gregory, TNF, Marmot, Lowe, Arcteryx, BD even REI all make good packs. I don't think Vaude is anything special.

agreed, generally osprey is my favorite. they make some awesome packs and have great warranty service.

jberenyi
04-29-2013, 02:20 PM
what I really like about vaude is the fact that it has a mesh that suspends off the back

Likes2ridefar
04-29-2013, 02:21 PM
what I really like about vaude is the fact that it has a mesh that suspends off the back

so do about every other brand that was listed above.

my osprey stratos has an excellent mesh suspension system. the atmos I own does as well.

deuter has some...

verticaldoug
04-29-2013, 02:50 PM
I think the Osprey Mantra 28 or 36 will fit your requirements. The back has a support mesh which allows air to flow.

jberenyi
04-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks to all for their input. Now that I can get to a keyboard to type here goes. Yes I checked into Osprey and Deuter. In fact I almost purchased the Deuter Trans Alpine 30 but it does not have a suspended mesh. As far as the Osprey line I was told the Momentum series was a great commuter and offered a 30ish size pack as well. However it does not have a mesh either. Bottom line I need the mesh. That is the deal breaker for me and it has to have enough volume to pack my Jeans, shirt, socks, udnerwear, shower shoes, shoes, lunch, large water bottle, on cold days a cycling jacket, etc. Hydration is not needed. I have no use for these type of reservoirs and prefer not to have one.

gdw
04-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Slight thread drift.
Do you find the mesh /air flow systems effective? Do they actually keep your back cooler?

Steve in SLO
04-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Lots of 'em on eBay.

jberenyi
04-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Lots of 'em on eBay.

Not Vaude Alpin 30+5's. Show me the link

mvrider
04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks to all for their input. Now that I can get to a keyboard to type here goes. Yes I checked into Osprey and Deuter. In fact I almost purchased the Deuter Trans Alpine 30 but it does not have a suspended mesh. As far as the Osprey line I was told the Momentum series was a great commuter and offered a 30ish size pack as well. However it does not have a mesh either. Bottom line I need the mesh. That is the deal breaker for me and it has to have enough volume to pack my Jeans, shirt, socks, udnerwear, shower shoes, shoes, lunch, large water bottle, on cold days a cycling jacket, etc. Hydration is not needed. I have no use for these type of reservoirs and prefer not to have one.

Big fan of Osprey here... I even have some that were made in CO.

Have you looked at their Stratos line? Ventilated, suspended mesh backs:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens/stratos_series

Their Manta hydration packs also have the suspended mesh back:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens_1_1/manta_series_hydration_packs_updated (http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens_1_1/manta_series_hydration_packs_updated)

Steve in SLO
04-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Not Vaude Alpin 30+5's. Show me the link

Sorry...misread the liter size.

csm
04-29-2013, 05:07 PM
+1 on the osprey. Replaced my Lowe pack last year for backpacking. Liked the osprey so much I grabbed a hydro pack off sac as well. I like the bladder with the exoskeleton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tkbike
04-29-2013, 05:29 PM
I would check Deuter and Osprey packs. My Deuter week long pack, day/overnight pack and bike pack are the coolest packs I have ever used, and for me they fit great. I used to use mostly Osprey but found the Deuter's are a much better fit and cooler for me. My wife still uses strictly Osprey's and I don't think she would switch because they work for her. If possible find a shop that has rental equipment and spend some time getting to check out the fit with a load and without. As mentioned above the 30+5 is basically a day/overnight pack and there are a million of them available.

Good Luck

bluesea
04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
I am so over camelbak.

jberenyi
04-29-2013, 06:31 PM
I would check Deuter and Osprey packs. My Deuter week long pack, day/overnight pack and bike pack are the coolest packs I have ever used, and for me they fit great. I used to use mostly Osprey but found the Deuter's are a much better fit and cooler for me. My wife still uses strictly Osprey's and I don't think she would switch because they work for her. If possible find a shop that has rental equipment and spend some time getting to check out the fit with a load and without. As mentioned above the 30+5 is basically a day/overnight pack and there are a million of them available.

Good Luck

At this point I'm so overwhelmed with choices I don't know what the hell to pick now. Sometimes too many choices is just as bad as not enough. All I want to do is hold all my work clothes and shoes with a good size lunch and bike to work one way for 11 miles and not get a sweaty back. You would think this would be easy to solve but its not. All my shops around here in Utah have small packs. People must eat like birds around here and run around naked cause I can't find anything close to me around the 30 Liter size. I guess they forgot we have the Rocky's for hiking...go figure.

Likes2ridefar
04-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Slight thread drift.
Do you find the mesh /air flow systems effective? Do they actually keep your back cooler?

I use my osprey stratos 18 a lot and I think it's perfect for bike commuting. It has two pockets for keys, etc on the hips and the mesh suspension system is very comfortable both because it helps reduce overheating, but it's also exceptionally comfortable since it has some give to it and keeps pressure off the spine and if any odd, hard objects are in the bag they are nowhere near you so all you have is the weight to deal with. even weighted it is better than any bag that does not have some sort of frame.

I use the stratos 32L for winter day hiking and the Atmos 50 for backpacking. All have the same mesh suspension system, but the atmos has lighter weight material and padding on the straps.

I should note all of mine are a few years old so they may have changed their design.

jberenyi
04-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks but I looked at all your packs listed and none offer what I'm looking for as a cyclist commmuter. They are either too friggin long, too much volume, no mesh suspension, huge price tag or too small. I guess Vaude is special...its special for me :)

simple
04-29-2013, 11:19 PM
I've owned 2 Vaude backpacks. The suspension system works and is worth the search. I'm trying to remember where I bought mine, it may have been San Francisco when I lived up there.

LJohnny
04-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Have you considered Ergon? They make some nice pack both flavors, suspension and mesh. Albeit the suspension ones are available mostly overseas with the occasional eBay. I got lucky I got mine when competitive cyclist was clossing them out.

jberenyi
04-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Well I found one online :banana: Yep, free shipping and all at an awesome price. Oh yeah, and another thing that makes this backpack special is the fact that it fits so many torso sizes from small all the way up due to the FAST Track system. With me having a small torso (wierd for a guy so tall) it left many of the suggested backpacks that some mentioned not useable for me. I only have a 16" torso but I'm 6' tall. Anyhow chapter closed.

jberenyi
05-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Well I finally got the pack. Had to wait 10 days to come from the U.K. but it was worth the wait. Truly a unique pack in a class of its own. I went through Chain Reaction in case anyone wants to know. :hello:

likebikes
05-17-2013, 06:52 AM
glad you are happy