PDA

View Full Version : Campy brake set up question

CNY rider
04-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Please help me with this silly brake issue.
I am re-installing Campy Record side pulls (2006 version) on my freshly painted Hampsten.
These brakes were on the bike and working fine before I had the bike re-painted.
Now the rear brake does not sit straight. The left sided pad is much closer to the midline, and rubbing up against the rim. It almost feels like the cable housing is pushing on it but this is the same housing I was using before and it was fine then.
The spring appears to be where it should be.
I feel certain I am missing something silly but just can't figure out what it is.
Thanks.

FlashUNC
04-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Total wag here, but doesn't that era Campy brake have a small set screw on the drive-side arm that allows you to adjust the pad centering by tweaking the arm position?

Its like a 2.5mm recessed head if memory serves.

oliver1850
04-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Have you tried adjusting it with the centering screw? Takes a 2mm hex wrench, is located just below the pivot bolt on the side of the right arm.

CNY rider
04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm used to using that screw for fine adjusting once things are close to where they should be.
This is way off. The left pad is plastered to the rim when the cable is tightened.
Having said that I will still give that a try.

FlashUNC
04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Is the brake moving around once you add cable tension? Might be the brake bolts need a good tightening. Grip washer in place as well?

You've probably got all this sorted, but never hurts to ask...

oliver1850
04-29-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm used to using that screw for fine adjusting once things are close to where they should be.
This is way off. The left pad is plastered to the rim when the cable is tightened.
Having said that I will still give that a try.

If it's way off, loosen the mount nut, reset the caliper closer to center, tighten nut, then make final adjustment with the screw.

cmbicycles
04-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Maybe obvious, but did you put a housing on backwards...ferrule on the brake side instead of frame side? If so it won't sit the same as the housings are meant to be run direct into the brakes without a ferrule.

Ralph
04-29-2013, 01:07 PM
If none of the above work....take a brake pad off opposite the way you want the brake to go, put a cone wrench in middle of brake on the flats, then tighten with your 5 MM allen wrench, and twist the brakes off center as you tighten, then straighten them with the last tightening off the 5 MM. You are basically tightening the brake against the spring. Then reinstall the pad, and fine tune. You can also affect this by the length of the rear brake housing, adjust it in or out a little. I assume you have a Park 3rd hand tool.

There is some art to this, but sometimes that's what I have to do with a single pivot Chorus rear brake on one of my bikes. In the old days, we might just take a chisel and hammer on the spring on one side. Brakes too nice now for that.

CNY rider
04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone, got it straight.
When I initially re-installed them I must have imparted some torque to the nut that holds the spring on the brakes side.
I re-installed, held that straight with 15 mm wrench and everything works like it should now.

soulspinner
04-29-2013, 04:30 PM
If it's way off, loosen the mount nut, reset the caliper closer to center, tighten nut, then make final adjustment with the screw.

Bam

cnighbor1
04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
And even better when on a bicycle going 35 mph and you need to stop