PDA

View Full Version : Front end noice on Spechialized Tarmac

pcxmbfj
04-27-2013, 09:25 AM
My Tarmac is an '08 Comp Compact frame built with Ultegra 9s components.
I replaced the headset with a Cane Creek Forty after a lot of correspondence with Cane Creek and Specialized to determine the correct S.H.I.S replacement.
With contradictory information from both camps I ordered and installed the Forty
and thought I had the right replacement at install.
I am not a carbon fan and the few miles I put on the bike after the install seemed to validate the fit but I've been riding it the last couple of weeks and noticed a popping noise on the first ride.
Headset was not tight so adjusted and torqued stem bolts and noise gone at the start of the next ride but got progressively worse as I rode.
Ride shortened to about 30mi. went home and redid the the whole process being even more conscious of stem and headset tightness.
Bottom line noise is lessened but returned and I want to get rid of it so asking the forum about experience with the issue.

Suspect the stem is creeping up the fork's carbon steerer and requires greater torque but really cautious of cracking carbon.

Black Dog
04-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Use carbon prep paste on the stem/steerer interface. It will allow you to get good grip at regular torque values and will eliminate any creak coming from the stem. I suspect you cleaned off the steerer and inside of the stem when you replaced the headset and this is the source of you creak.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/images/products/tacx/2013/6320_i_1.jpg

pcxmbfj
04-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Use carbon prep paste on the stem/steerer interface. It will allow you to get good grip at regular torque values and will eliminate any creak coming from the stem. I suspect you cleaned off the steerer and inside of the stem when you replaced the headset and this is the source of you creak.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/images/products/tacx/2013/6320_i_1.jpg

Thanks for the response.

That is my thought too.

May also clean the headset bearing interface area and grease.

May end up tearing down the bike to use components on the allrounder I'm going to build.