PDA

View Full Version : Denver to Beaver Creek for the Tough Mudder

thenewguy11
04-26-2013, 05:08 PM
For my big event this year (yes I generally only get one), I've decided to do something I've been wanting to do for a couple years now - ride from Denver to Beaver Creek in a day. I'm then planning on combining it with the Tough Mudder as kind of a two day duathlon.

Basically the plan is to start out early on Friday June 14th for the roughly 100 mile ride, relax and recover that evening, then do the Tough Mudder on June 15th. For those who aren't familiar the Tough Mudder is a 10-12 mile obstacle course event. I did it a couple years ago and had a lot of fun and figure the ride up the day before should make for a solid weekend of exercise induced euphoria.

What I'm looking for is advice on the best route from Denver to Beaver Creek? From what I've seen on RideWithGPS, I can tackle the Triple Bypass route over Squaw, Loveland, and Vail passes. But is that the best option or is there something a bit more adventurous/interesting? I'll be taking the Firefly rando so will be generally self supported.

firerescuefin
04-26-2013, 05:19 PM
For my big event this year (yes I generally only get one), I've decided to do something I've been wanting to do for a couple years now - ride from Denver to Beaver Creek in a day. I'm then planning on combining it with the Tough Mudder as kind of a two day duathlon.

Basically the plan is to start out early on Friday June 14th for the roughly 100 mile ride, relax and recover that evening, then do the Tough Mudder on June 15th. For those who aren't familiar the Tough Mudder is a 10-12 mile obstacle course event. I did it a couple years ago and had a lot of fun and figure the ride up the day before should make for a solid weekend of exercise induced euphoria.

What I'm looking for is advice on the best route from Denver to Beaver Creek? From what I've seen on RideWithGPS, I can tackle the Triple Bypass route over Squaw, Loveland, and Vail passes. But is that the best option or is there something a bit more adventurous/interesting? I'll be taking the Firefly rando so will be generally self supported.

Have you ridden the triple route before? That's a pretty good ride...not the most direct, but beautiful and certainly meets your criteria for the duathlon.

Bradford
04-26-2013, 05:35 PM
You could also go up Deer Creek Canyon and pick up 285 in Conifer. After you get over Kenosha pass, you could take either Boreas Pass (mostly dirt) or Hoosier Pass into Breck. If you are not taking too much of a load, Boreas Pass is a beautiful ride. Boreas can be a bit bumpy in places if you are taking a big load or have skinny tires.

firerescuefin
04-26-2013, 05:37 PM
You could also go up Deer Creek Canyon and pick up 285 in Conifer. After you get over Kenosha pass, you could take either Boreas Pass (mostly dirt) or Hoosier Pass into Breck. If you are not taking too much of a load, Boreas Pass is a beautiful ride. Boreas can be a bit bumpy in places if you are taking a big load or have skinny tires.

Bradford...what's the approximate distance for this route?

New Guy..what time are you hoping to make from Denver to BC...in order to chill out and rest for the next day.

Bradford
04-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Bradford...what's the approximate distance for this route?

Chatfield to Beaver Creek over Boreas looks like about 132 miles. 145 over Hoosier, so that might be a little much for a one day ride.

However, on another note, from my house to my friends house on the Breck side of Boreas pass is only about 95 miles, so I might try to sneak that ride in this summer and meet my family there.

sulfate125
04-26-2013, 06:37 PM
The question is, why bother with the tough mudder. Ride home for a better event.

chuckred
04-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Add mt. Evans to the day. Probably not a good idea if you want to do anything the next day though!

thenewguy11
04-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Add mt. Evans to the day. Probably not a good idea if you want to do anything the next day though!

Funny you say that. I was playing around on RidewithGPS and drew a route from my neighborhood to Lookout, Squaw Pass and included riding up Mt. Evans before tackling Loveland and Vail passes. All told it came out to 183 miles with 21,000 feet of climbing. Tempting as I've never ridden Mt. Evans and its definitely on the list. But if I'm honest, I'm no where near in shape enough to tackle that ride - even if I pretended I didn't have the Tough Mudder the day after.

I'm planning on leaving around 6am and depending on the route, taking 10-12 hours. One thing I've learned is that if I say it'll take 8 hours, I'll misjudge by at least 25% anyway. I'll investigate Boreas because some gravel riding sounds fun.

tiretrax
04-27-2013, 04:57 PM
I am in awe of your ambition. You questioned your fitness. Have you done a recon of this - I suggest doing a ride from your house to the top of Loveland and back home before you make any route changes.

thenewguy11
04-27-2013, 05:41 PM
I just mapped the ride sans Mt. Evans and it comes to 160 miles. I'd been mentally working with the roughly 100 miles that makes up the Triple Bypass, and now am a bit nervous about the endeavor. Wife thinks I'm nuts (she used a different adjective actually). Thats why they call it a challenge, I suppose.