PDA

View Full Version : Push Industries - Should I get my Fox fork "Pushed"

Liv2RideHard
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
I blew out my fork last weekend racing. Oil was oozing down the legs of my fork when I racked my bike after my race last weekend. It was due for a rebuild anyway. I have only ever sent it out to Fox for a rebuild/service. I am considering sending it to Push Industries this time around.

Anybody here ever had a fork pushed? My brother had his rear shock pushed and said it transformed his bike. In addition to the factory rebuild, there are two other options, listed below. My fork has never been "tuned" before. I am the set it and forget it type. The factory fork system option will "tune" the fork to my weight, type of riding and type of bike. Then there is the high volume air piston kit option. More linear spring curve they say.

I just don't know anyone who has ever pushed a fork. I do find myself locking out all the time if conditions dictate. Like this past Sunday, I was locking out all the time during the race. If I can tune the fork though, it may eliminate some of this by tuning the fork to only react to big hits. My style of riding/racing is pure singletrack. Wheels stay on the ground. I never look to get any "air" per se. My set-up is pure race. Hardtail, fast and efficient. Minimal travel. Just having a hard time justifying the extra dollars associated with the "tuning" options. Just looking for some input from anyone who has pushed their Fox fork. Part of me says just do it all since they will have it all taken apart anyway. Thanks in advance!

Guy

Factory Rebuild

Complete external inspection
Complete disassembly
Complete cleaning and inspection of all internal parts
Precision machining of seal seats (PUSH Exclusive)
Bushings are sized to mating tubes (Additional $29.95 if replacement upper and lower bushings are necessary. Requires customer approval)
Performance Dual Lip U-Cup Energized Seals installed
Performance Dual Lip Urethane U-Cup Energized Dirt Wipers installed
O-Rings Replaced
Oil Viscosity and Volume set using premium Maxima Racing Fork Fluids.
Blue travel indicator o-ring installed
Complete reassembly
All fork functions are checked by technician utilizing a hand dyno
Secondary Technician review of all fork functions is completed
PUSH Factory Rebuild decal applied (click here for example)
Settings card filled out by Technician and signed

Factory Fork System

Performance tuning taking into consideration rider weight, style and bike model.
Complete Factory Rebuild (listed above)
Rebound Piston Porting and Revalve
Compression Revalve
Lockout Threshold Revalve
PUSH Factory Fork System decal applied (click here for image)

High Volume Air Piston Kit

Adding the PUSH High Volume(HV) Air Piston Kit to your fork service provides a more linear air spring curve. Is this for me? It is if you find yourself lowering your fork air pressure to get full travel, but then end up with too much sag. This feature can be added to any FLOAT service for an additional $36.

dustyrider
04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
What's the lead time for PUSH compared to Fox?

I think that'd be a big factor for me given the time of year.

I've never had a pushed fork, I rebuild my own stuff whenever possible, but those that I know of that have had their forks pushed "say" it's worth it. Course they're the ones that forked out the $$ so I take it for what it's worth.

Too me, depending on the fork, I'd think you could make some adjustments to get the level of performance you desire, that is of course once it's not spewing.

Dave B
04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
I have had both a fork and shock pushed.

I was told by a guy who worked for Fox that Push does what Fox should, but it would cost Fox too much to make the forks desirable. They do a great job.

If you have the terralogic stuff in your fork, they can make it work like it was meant to! Awesome stuff.

rice rocket
04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
I had a PUSH'd fork for my 29er and it rode brilliantly, I've since swapped down to a 650b and even with the same damper, I'm still chasing that plushness I got from the PUSH'd fork.

If I don't go Lefty, I'll be sending this Fox in to PUSH at the end of the season.

deluxerider
04-26-2013, 01:31 PM
I've had both a fork and rear shock pushed. My fork was an old Terra-Logic, but it did work better. The rear shock was great as well. I'd say if your just going to have it rebuilt send it wherever. If you'd like to get it tuned for your weight and riding style send it to Push. From your description of your riding style a rigid fork might work too.

crownjewelwl
04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
is it significantly more expensive than the fox rebuild?

Liv2RideHard
04-26-2013, 01:39 PM
What's the lead time for PUSH compared to Fox?

I think that'd be a big factor for me given the time of year.

I've never had a pushed fork, I rebuild my own stuff whenever possible, but those that I know of that have had their forks pushed "say" it's worth it. Course they're the ones that forked out the $$ so I take it for what it's worth.

Too me, depending on the fork, I'd think you could make some adjustments to get the level of performance you desire, that is of course once it's not spewing.

I hear TAT is a week or so. I can live with that. This is something I don't have the skills for and will either send it to Fox or Push for the rebuild. Even my LBS suggests sending it out for a complete overhaul.

I have had both a fork and shock pushed.

I was told by a guy who worked for Fox that Push does what Fox should, but it would cost Fox too much to make the forks desirable. They do a great job.

If you have the terralogic stuff in your fork, they can make it work like it was meant to! Awesome stuff.

I had a PUSH'd fork for my 29er and it rode brilliantly, I've since swapped down to a 650b and even with the same damper, I'm still chasing that plushness I got from the PUSH'd fork.

If I don't go Lefty, I'll be sending this Fox in to PUSH at the end of the season.

Good info man. The kind of input I am looking for. No Terralogic here but I feel that my fork is just a fork, nothing else. I am looking for better performance, esp. from a XC racing perspective.

Liv2RideHard
04-26-2013, 01:46 PM
I've had both a fork and rear shock pushed. My fork was an old Terra-Logic, but it did work better. The rear shock was great as well. I'd say if your just going to have it rebuilt send it wherever. If you'd like to get it tuned for your weight and riding style send it to Push. From your description of your riding style a rigid fork might work too.

You know, I have thought about going rigid. Having some squish does come in handy though, especially when we haul the bikes up to the mountains. I find myself locking out sometimes, but when it gets chattery, I flip it for some squish and to prevent fatigue. My XC racing anymore is endurance.

is it significantly more expensive than the fox rebuild?

It is more expensive with the options...tuning and HV piston kit. Just a rebuild, Push is marginally more expensive...$179. Fox pricing starts at $125 but just doesn't seem very comprehensive from what they describe on their website. I have sent it to Fox before, twice actually, and honestly, couldn't tell the difference when I got it back.

avalonracing
04-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Or you could have the local bike shop do it for $110 and hear psssh, psssh, psssh noises every time your expensive TerraLogic fork compresses. (Anyone else have this issue?)

GRAVELBIKE
04-26-2013, 03:31 PM
I had my RockShox Revelation PUSH'd, and it was sublime. The nastier the obstacles, the better it felt. Square-edged rocks basically disappeared.

tkbike
04-26-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure the age of your fork, but luckily I have found Fox to be very good with customer service. I just sent a fox rear shock from my Ibis back today at their expense...for the third rebuild in two years. It is a year out of warranty but they realize the shock has a defect and the bushings will be replaced with the updated 2014 setup, hopefully more than 6 months before the next rebuild. I am starting to have the same issues with the rear shock on my Jet 9 RDO so that will be going back soon also.

If it wasn't for the free rebuilds I would do them myself. Anything Push can do you can do easily and for much less money yourself. I don't ride XC so I'm not sure what push can do for you, I ride trail and some downhil, sending my fork to Push didn't make it worth the expense!

sevencyclist
04-26-2013, 06:05 PM
I am glad to hear about such a service available. Sounds like worth a try. Any significant performance difference between the HV kit and the standard service?

Louis
04-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Wasn't there a song about this?

Push It (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU)

pcxmbfj
04-27-2013, 07:19 AM
"I just don't know anyone who has ever pushed a fork. I do find myself locking out all the time if conditions dictate. Like this past Sunday, I was locking out all the time during the race. If I can tune the fork though, it may eliminate some of this by tuning the fork to only react to big hits. My style of riding/racing is pure singletrack. Wheels stay on the ground. I never look to get any "air" per se. My set-up is pure race. Hardtail, fast and efficient. Minimal travel. Just having a hard time justifying the extra dollars associated with the "tuning" options. Just looking for some input from anyone who has pushed their Fox fork. Part of me says just do it all since they will have it all taken apart anyway. Thanks in advance! "

I'm wondering if this contributed to the fork failure?
I only lock out my fork for "road type" rides where suspension offers no traction advantage and seldom then.
I ride my rigid rigs the same way.
Tuning a fork is something that seems to be beyond my comprehension so this thread convinces me to "push" my suspension.
You sound like a candidate for a rigid fork or a tuned fork on and ignored.

kramnnim
04-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Isn't the "HV kit" merely a shortened piston rod?

The older Fox forks never got full travel without it...

bluesea
04-27-2013, 08:15 AM
In terms of shock absorption there's a huge difference between lock out and a rigid fork.

pcxmbfj
04-27-2013, 08:37 AM
In terms of shock absorption there's a huge difference between lock out and a rigid fork.

There's also a huge difference in weight.

bluesea
04-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Right, and two different kinds of fatigue. Haven't A-B'd, but I'm thinking the locked out fork will provide better frontend traction.

dustyrider
04-27-2013, 10:23 AM

This is easy to believe. Awhile back I got a brand new fork from fox; after a few parking lot obstacles I started wondering why the stanchions seemed to have so much stiction. After a horrible trail ride I tore it down and there was almost 3 times the recommended amount of fork oil. There was also an O ring on the lower cartridge installed poorly enough to be completely ineffective.

Guy sounds like Push is your best bet. Since the LBS says they don't want to work on it, it'd probably be hard to get the correct parts from 'em, even if you did have the gumption to tear into it.

pcxmbfj
04-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Right, and two different kinds of fatigue. Haven't A-B'd, but I'm thinking the locked out fork will provide better frontend traction.

Most of what I've read supports suspension over rigid (tires maintain better ground contact instead of bouncing), one reason I question the OP's lockout usage.

If giving up one of suspension benefits why withstand the extra weight?

xjoex
04-27-2013, 11:04 PM
With my old Fox fork I would lock it out on climbs, with my 5 year newer Rock Shox Reba I don't bother to lock it out.

But to the OPs point, I would send it to Push.

-Joe

Liv2RideHard
06-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Been meaning to update. I did send my FOX fork to Push and had it rebuilt and tuned to my specs. Should have done it a LONG time ago. Completely changed the behavior of my fork. It is much more planted and stable. All the little chatter bumps are gone. Turning in is much more confidence inspiring. Front wheel sticks. They did a really great job. Communication was excellent. Tech even called to go over everything I wrote on my order form just to make sure he had it right. Got my fork back 2 days after they worked their magic. Outstanding service and product. I highly recommend the boys at Push. I hesitated for way too long and regret that I waited as long as I did to do it. Thanks.

Guy

AngryScientist
06-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Completely changed the behavior of my fork.

http://www.primoclipart.com/files/preview/big/287/Fork%20Clip%20Art.jpg

mtb_frk
06-18-2013, 02:16 PM
I need to do it also. I have been meaning to do it for the last couple years.

How long did the whole process take, door to door?

bluesea
06-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Will send my Fox in when I eventually convert my El Mariachi. Been a total believer in suspension tuning since '78 when I first sent my 250 then 390 Husky's forks to Uptite. Its a mature industry in terms of knowledge and techniques.

Liv2RideHard
06-18-2013, 02:49 PM
I need to do it also. I have been meaning to do it for the last couple years.

How long did the whole process take, door to door?

Took less than 2 weeks for me. It all depends on when you get in the queue and the time of year.

josephr
06-18-2013, 03:11 PM
have ridden several nice forks....went Lefty, never went back. Damn thing is just accurate, agile. I have the standard Cannondale hub but hear good things about the DT Swiss Lefty hub. Also, there are kits to convert any bike to Lefty compatable. I've seen bikes from Lynskey, Seven, Yeti, etc...