PDA

View Full Version : Just Got BB30 Frame - What to Do

kurto
04-26-2013, 09:27 AM
I scored an amazing deal on a CAAD10 frame, but I currently run Ultegra, so it's not as simple as swapping all the parts. Keeping mind that the new frame does not have bearings in it, what should I do? Get one of the adapters (KCNC, Praxis, Parlee) and run Ultegra, or would it be beneficial to buy BB30 bearings and a compatible crank? I'd prefer not to get too heavy or too spendy, but really I want the best performance.

54ny77
04-26-2013, 09:33 AM
i'm in same boat, and i got the wheels mfg. adapters from a forum member in order to run existing bsa parts, and also scored a nice bb30 crank for a fair price also from a forum member. that leaves me with two options, basically.

basically, the only thing you need is a 34.9 front derail (or just get a clamp if you already have braze on derail.) and deal with the crank issue. no need to overthink it.

the least expensive route is derail clamp and the plastic bb adaptors, which will put you out about 50-60 bucks total, and voila. up & running.

firerescuefin
04-26-2013, 10:08 AM
I scored an amazing deal on a CAAD10 frame, but I currently run Ultegra, so it's not as simple as swapping all the parts. Keeping mind that the new frame does not have bearings in it, what should I do? Get one of the adapters (KCNC, Praxis, Parlee) and run Ultegra, or would it be beneficial to buy BB30 bearings and a compatible crank? I'd prefer not to get too heavy or too spendy, but really I want the best performance.

Make sure you order the right adapter PF or BB 30...I don't believe that Parlee maks a BB adapter...Know they make the PF 30....Everything Praxis makes is top notch...and Chris King just threw their hat in the ring.

christian
04-26-2013, 10:11 AM
I know it's not the sexiest, but the Specialized BB30 cranks can regularly be found for <$200 on Ebay. At that price, going native is pretty palatable.

I have them on my Allez and find them indistinguishable from my Record UT cranks on my Colnago.

54ny77
04-26-2013, 10:16 AM
i was gonna get a set of those s-works cranks on ebay (which seem to be quite nice and a bit of a sleeper in aftermarket crank land) and sand & re-clear the arms, but in the 11th hour a forum member posted a nice set of fsa bb30 cranks. got those instead. i didn't know enough about how the s-works cranks worked in terms of setup and chainrings, etc. to pull the trigger, vs. the no-brainer fsa setup.

do the s-works cranks have interchangeable spider, 110 to 130? that's pretty nice if so.

I know it's not the sexiest, but the Specialized BB30 cranks can regularly be found for <$200 on Ebay. At that price, going native is pretty palatable.

I have them on my Allez and find them indistinguishable from my Record UT cranks on my Colnago.

rice rocket
04-26-2013, 10:22 AM
There are no "nice" FSA cranks, almost all their cranks have been recalled in one way, shape, or form. :fight:

The Spec cranks are a good bargain, they're light and easy to find. Prices have pushed up a little now that more people have discovered them as an alternative, but still are under $250 for the earlier models. The later ones switch to a uni cosmetic layer, and claim to lose a few grams.

And yeah, spiders interchange, but you need their spider tool.

christian
04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
do the s-works cranks have interchangeable spider, 110 to 130? that's pretty nice if so.

Yup, 110bcd and 130bcd. You need a proprietary tool. (Alternately, a six-pack delivered to Hickory and Tweed in Armonk has worked for me.)

echelon_john
04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
wheels mfg bb30 adaptor lets you use your shimano crankset. works great.

it's either that or, essentially, go sram bb30.

54ny77
04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
well as we know, that can be arranged.....;)

Yup, 110bcd and 130bcd. You need a proprietary tool. (Alternately, a six-pack delivered to Hickory and Tweed in Armonk has worked for me.)

poff
04-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Once you try SISL you'll never go back.

bikerboy337
04-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Kind of agree with this... love my hollowgram cranks and they can be had for a pretty good price these days... there was a set listed on here a day or so ago, with 2 spiders and the spider and crank arm removal tool... good price if you ask me... anyways, i think a hollowgram crank on a cannondale just looks right...

cmg
04-26-2013, 10:52 AM
same boat. i'm going the FSA slk route. haven't had the problems/recalls so we'll give it a go. going to use them with my cobbled campy shifter/derailluers combos like on 2 other rides. it'll work.

you can always use sram cranks with an ultegra drivetrain.

Keith A
04-26-2013, 11:05 AM
The Praxis conversion system does look nicely designed...
http://praxiscycles.com/pages/conversion

Look585
04-26-2013, 11:40 AM
The KCNC BB costs $40 from Fairwheelbikes. Decent BB30 bearings + adapters will cost as much or more. The KCNC isn't as nice as the Praxis, but works quite well in most instances.

kurto
04-26-2013, 11:57 AM
The KCNC BB costs $40 from Fairwheelbikes. Decent BB30 bearings + adapters will cost as much or more. The KCNC isn't as nice as the Praxis, but works quite well in most instances.

Since I don't have bearings in the frame now, I'm thinking of going this route. Have you tried the KCNC? I can't find a ton of info on it, good or bad.

rice rocket
04-26-2013, 12:15 PM
same boat. i'm going the FSA slk route. haven't had the problems/recalls so we'll give it a go. going to use them with my cobbled campy shifter/derailluers combos like on 2 other rides. it'll work.

you can always use sram cranks with an ultegra drivetrain.

The SL-Ks were one of the first to fail. Never officially recalled, but there's a few occurrences on the Internets.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2445/3580107809_025f682778_z.jpg?zz=1

BB30 Gossamers were all recalled.

K-Force Light failure:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachments/components-wrenching/161387d1239448547-fsa-k-force-crank-almost-failure-crankarm.jpg

More documented ones:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=115971

bluesea
04-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Just Got BB30 Frame - What to Do

Ride the scheiß out of it?

Have about 400mi on the Praxis conversion BB/Ultegra, and a tick has started (last night) at 7:00 on the non-drive side pedal stroke. Not exactly sure its the BB, but I should probably re-check that the drive-side bearings are bottomed out in the threads.

Hope I don't start liking the CAAD more than I already do, because that would mean Spiderings next year. :rolleyes: The Peg is going on the block very soon.

zap
04-26-2013, 02:14 PM
I fail to see why you would consider anything other than sisl or sisl2.

Pricy sure but these cranks seem to keep their value.

Mindless install and reliable.....it just works really well.

oldpotatoe
04-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Get an adapter, use the Ultegra crank. Better bearings, better chainrings.

shovelhd
04-26-2013, 07:16 PM
BB30 Gossamers were all recalled.

Not all of them, only certain series. Mine are fine.

danl1
04-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Sell it and get a frame with a non-creaky BB shell? :)

Honestly, I've not dealt with this. But based on what I hear, get a Praxis and use the Ultegra.

Some chatter on the topic:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/product-tech/2013/04/26/mag-bottom-bracket-designs-evolve-quiet-creak#.UXsas7WxezE

kurto
04-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Sell it and get a frame with a non-creaky BB shell? :)

Honestly, I've not dealt with this. But based on what I hear, get a Praxis and use the Ultegra.

Some chatter on the topic:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/product-tech/2013/04/26/mag-bottom-bracket-designs-evolve-quiet-creak#.UXsas7WxezE

Thanks for the link - that's a really good read. It looks like the Praxis and RWC/KCNC adapters work the best and make the most sense. I'll report back after I get one and try it out a bit.

beercan
04-26-2013, 09:57 PM
ive broken a fsa kforce light crankset, the usual problem is the pedal area starts to fall apart but I had it swapped for a newer model from FSA, I do expect that one to break apart one day but when it happens, hopefully it will be at low speed and not like in that one women's race a saw awhile back on youtube where the rider goes flying off her bike. I think the newer ones are much better.

nicrump
04-27-2013, 08:06 AM
another vote for wheels mfg. It is the fastest, least expensive and most trouble free solution to running your shimano cranks in that BB30 frame.

If budget allows, i am a fig fan of SiSL cranks.

Lovetoclimb
04-27-2013, 08:20 AM

This. Keep it Cannondale and find even a used older model Hollowgram SL crankset. If the rings are worn you can replace them with FSA rings for a low cost. Seriously nice cranks and BB system, I can see why people covet them.

kurto
06-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Quick update: I got the KCNC bottom bracket, and after a few weeks and a few hundred miles, it's been fantastic. It spins smoother than my Ultegra bb, and so far it has been completely silent. I guess we'll see about durability, but as of now, I would not hesitate to recommend it for someone wanting to run Shimano cranks on a BB30 frame.

tribarbet
12-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I though it was better to post on this one than creating a new one.
I just bought a bb30 frame and it came with the bearings installed. I'd like to use my DA 7800 crankset (I don't know what's about this crankset, but I just love how it feels). Based on what everyone is saying I'm thinking in going with the Wheels Mfg adapters.
Any comments/advice on those adapters from the people that have been using them for a while now? Or should I just get the Praxis ones?

oldpotatoe
12-11-2013, 08:56 AM

Get any of the mentioned adapters, and use the ultegra crank..better crank than the BB30 BS..except maybe the new Campagnolo one, except I don't think its 'out there' yet. BUT FSA/sram/truvativ...all the other BB30 types are unique in crappy bearings and short lived chainrings...

primov8
12-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I though it was better to post on this one than creating a new one.
I just bought a bb30 frame and it came with the bearings installed. I'd like to use my DA 7800 crankset (I don't know what's about this crankset, but I just love how it feels). Based on what everyone is saying I'm thinking in going with the Wheels Mfg adapters.
Any comments/advice on those adapters from the people that have been using them for a while now? Or should I just get the Praxis ones?

Remove the bearings; either the KCNC bb30 adapter bb or Praxis' conversion bb will be a much better option.

Although the Praxis conversion bb cost more, I like the collet-style and if you ever purchase another frame in the future that may have a PF30 bb shell, you'll be able to use on there as well with the supplied sleeve.

John H.
12-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Not true, you might give them up when the creaking cracks you ;)
I did give them up- they soured me on SISL cranks and all things PF30.
One thing after another- always making noise or needing maintenance.
I am back on threaded bb's for good.

GregL
12-11-2013, 10:11 PM
another vote for wheels mfg. It is the fastest, least expensive and most trouble free solution to running your shimano cranks in that BB30 frame.

If budget allows, i am a fig fan of SiSL cranks.
What he said. I've been using a Wheels adapter to run an Ultegra crank in a CAAD9 frame for the past three years. No creaks, very reliable. Two things I've learned: 1) Make sure to use appropriate shim(s) to take excessive play out of the crank-BB interface. Wheels Manufacturing has some good diagrams for this on their web site. 2) As necessary, pop the seals off the BB30 bearing cartridges and add some grease. With a little preventive maintenance, the bearings will last much longer.

- Greg

tribarbet
12-12-2013, 10:41 AM
What he said. I've been using a Wheels adapter to run an Ultegra crank in a CAAD9 frame for the past three years. No creaks, very reliable. Two things I've learned: 1) Make sure to use appropriate shim(s) to take excessive play out of the crank-BB interface. Wheels Manufacturing has some good diagrams for this on their web site. 2) As necessary, pop the seals off the BB30 bearing cartridges and add some grease. With a little preventive maintenance, the bearings will last much longer.

- Greg

Thanks Greg. I should get my Wheels adapter soon. I'll make sure to do all those things.

j_roe
01-10-2014, 11:15 AM
the most looked down upon crank fsa Slk are actually pretty solid and weigh much less then you would think.

pinoymamba
01-10-2014, 11:46 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7356/8970378497_93100696e7_c.jpg

another for the hollowgrams. i loved mine. unfortunately i had to sell because the new frame wasn't bb30.

soupless
01-10-2014, 10:20 PM
well that's an awesome looking bike

shovelhd
01-11-2014, 08:21 AM
well that's an awesome looking bike

+1. What is the pink accent in the center of the Quarq?

pinoymamba
01-11-2014, 09:27 AM
+1. What is the pink accent in the center of the Quarq?

it's actually red. the hollowgrams come with black, green, and red crank and chainring bolts.

I do miss that bike at times. Best bang for the buck aluminum race bike.

Mr.Bean
01-12-2014, 07:15 AM

Get the Praxxs adapter and save yourself the BB30 search. Dura Ace stuff is the best and there is a reason Shimano hasn't been compelled to produce BB30 options. The 6700 crankset offered a stiffer chainring than that of a Sram Red BB30 option and weighed less. Stick to what you have and been done. There are cheaper options for adapters but the best would still be an outright converter.

oldpotatoe
01-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Get the Praxxs adapter and save yourself the BB30 search. Dura Ace stuff is the best and there is a reason Shimano hasn't been compelled to produce BB30 options. The 6700 crankset offered a stiffer chainring than that of a Sram Red BB30 option and weighed less. Stick to what you have and been done. There are cheaper options for adapters but the best would still be an outright converter.

shimano isn't really compelled to do anything. I think shimano saying no to BB30 speaks volumes about the 'utility' of all these silly BB 'standards'.

Same for general use of carbon, particularly on cranksets(altho their foray into a carbon cog carrier on 11s resulted in some BB-30-esque creaking). They have their own view of the bicycle 'market', and since they went to a 38mm stack headset, making a whole generation of threaded forks obsolete, they are gonna do what they want..with great results, IMHO.

They don't respond to the 'market', whatever that is, and rush anything onto manufacturing. They didn't with 10s, they didn't with 11s, they didn't with MTB 10s or 2by MTB systems.

I asked Wayne Stetina in Morgul-Bismark about 1993 or 1994, why shimano went to a 38mm stack, cart bearing headset, and he said, 'cuz they can'....they wanted a certain size bearing in there, so there it is...buy a new fork, cyclist-san.